Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
fished bradenburg yesterday afternoon (thursday) and noticed that since I last fished Monday the water level dropped a foot to a foot and a half. I know we were in the same location because my buddy has a gps and marked it monday. Also my brother fished metro and south river (Campau Bay) and says the same thing. Anybody know what gives? Don't remember this happening before. Thanks.

·
Registered
692 Posts
QUOTE(teardrop @ Feb 12 2010, 10:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>fished bradenburg yesterday afternoon (thursday) and noticed that since I last fished Monday the water level dropped a foot to a foot and a half. I know we were in the same location because my buddy has a gps and marked it monday. Also my brother fished metro and south river (Campau Bay) and says the same thing. Anybody know what gives? Don't remember this happening before. Thanks.

It probably has to do with an ice jam slowing the flow south through the St Clair river...

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
It happened earlier this year, my brother and I were in Markley and it sounded like a freight train coming through, more like crashing through. The ice dropped about a foot then. there was a guy fishing with his son and the kid FREAKED, I mean he FREAKED. At first we noticed that the ice looked like it was taking on a bowl like shape at the seawalls, then BOOM, CRUNCH, CRASH. I'll admit, it was kinda scary, and lasted about 10 seconds or so. Anyone know WHY this happened?

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
has everything to do with it. this is why you have to be careful on st clair whether you in a canal or out on the lake. especially when air bubbles are trapped under the ice....i dont care how thick it is, a 4 wheeler can go through it if there is no water under it to support the ice....

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I was walking down Jimmy's canal on monday, and i was just sorta using my spud as a walking stick, not really hitting the ice. Well on one stroke i hit the ice harder and realized that there wasnt water under it. It made a hollow thud and i almost soiled myself. I was walking along the edge, avoiding the ice rinks that the homeowners make, and that ice on the edge must not have dropped completly so theres space between it and the water. Im sure if there was enought weight on it, you could go through.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts