Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went by Brian Wards place today (Selfridge Sport and Tackel) to do some
preperation for the up comming ice fishing season. Their was at least 12 guys
doing quit well in the canals around Brian's place. One of the workers told me that the ice was about 3.5 inches thick and the guys have been out their starting 2 weeks ago.

I checked the ice conditions around my brother-in-laws house located just south of Metro Beach 2 inches max ( only took about 3 hits with a spud) to punch through. I think I'll give it another week.

Hay Mini, Alex, and Mac you guys up for some first ice perch fishing?
When its safe of course......

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I'm all over it Joe!!...But we need 5" or more to support our fat arsses!!!LOL......call me when you can jump up and down on it!!..ahahahaha

Mac

BTW,..Happy Holiday's if I don't see you before Xmas!!

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
I might be able to be convinced. I'm out of town the 28th - 1st. But give a jingle when your going.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Some people are crazy!!!!! That ice is not safe yet. Not only is not very thick, but we have had several freeze-melt cycles. Plus as warm as its been the last few days. I'm with Mac. Think I'll wait awhile. Of course the rubber raft is a good idea
Let us know when that ice is thicker by your brother's basstrap896

·
Registered
397 Posts
I read in Field & Stream that one person only needs 2" of solid ice, a group of people needs like 4" and a vehicle requires 8" or more.

I don't feel safe until I have at least 5" to 6" before I get out there. And I will NEVER EVER be caught dead driving my truck on the ice.

I have to learn how to jig through ice. I'm used to using tip-ups. In NH we're allowed 5 per person. You get 4 or 5 guys together and you can cover a lot of water. If I'm only allowed 2 tip-ups in MI then I might as well just jig.

I do have one question. Are we allowed to build fires on the ice? There is nothing like hot dogs and beans cooked on an open fire will ice-fishing.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Ice is stronger than you think. I read in a magazine that 10 inches will support a bulldozer.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
What is that in centimeters, ay?

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
The metric system plays no role in my life. I refuse to conform to anything pushed upon me by the man, the machine, the commonwealth, the UN or the queen. Now...who owns a bulldozer?

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Real thick ice is very safe, as long as there's no springs around. They land giant aircraft on ice. Some dump trucks drive on it to put sand on lake beach's. Dump in on the ice when it melts it falls down. But no what your doing or there could be trouble. St. Clair looks like Oakland Mall's parking lot at times.

When your on the ice and you hear a giant booming crack, believe it or not that's a good sign. That means the lake is making ice and it's getting dense and something has to give. That give is the sonic boom you hear like thunder.

h2o<---------says be safe walk.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts