Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year there was some discussion on what was the best outerware for ice fishing. Arctic Armor, Ice Armor, BPS suits,etc.. I'm hoping that somebody can give me recommendations or feedback from what they finally purchased and used. I was looking at the Ice Armor suits at Gander Mt. today; are they really worth the big bucks that they cost? Any feedback is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
In my opinion, just get a shanty and a heater.(assuming you dont have either) You'll probably spend the same price as you would on an expensive outfit, but you'll enjoy it a lot more. I usually end up having to take off my jacket and such because the shanty gets so hot. Thats the way to go in my opinion.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I typically wear long johns sweaters and a coat and top them with my hunting gear and water proof boots are a must. If i get too cold I always have the shanty. Basically nothing fancy.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
I bought an Arctic Armor suit last year and am not too impressed. The literature on it says that it basically provides unlimited protection from the cold which is definitely not true. Because AA uses trapped air to keep you warm, it does not insulate well when compressed. The problem with AA is the bibs are much too tight, leading to compression of the material which forms cold spots. These cold spots are very noticeable. I'm disappointed at the lack of insulating quality of this suit. It is 100% waterproof, which is what I really wanted. My first choice was to buy the Ice Armor suit, but I couldn't find one that was long enough (I'm 6'4"). If I could go back, I'm not sure I would buy the Arctic Armor again, although I also don't know what else I would buy. Look at the Ice Armor suit, it's probably a little better. The major advantage to Arctic Armor is it floats. I haven't needed this, but it's nice to know it's there in case of an emergency. But, it's not USCG approved so you still need a life jacket even if you wear it on the boat.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I bought my wife some Thinsulate insulated Goretex Guidewear for christmas...Very nice suit and she can use it for double duty when fishing...It is on sale right now at Cabelas....

I have a BPS 100mph suit and I actually like some of the features of the guidewear better......Fly on the bibs being one of them...(I should have listened to Mini and gotten the pro qualifier bibs......)

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I wear full long johns, snowboard pants, couple t-shirts and a hoodie, like pelican said, with a shanty, though I don't have a heater, I'm still hot and removing my coat within 20 minutes. I usually only wear the coat on my journey out there and while auging holes, after that, I'm sweating, LOL

100% agree with waterproof boots. I went out 3 times last year with regular shoes, LOL wasn't that bad but whatta difference. My 3rd trip out was a little slushy and I was Convinced on waterproof boots.

Gl on your search sarc

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(motocross269 @ Oct 24 2009, 03:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I bought my wife some Thinsulate insulated Goretex Guidewear for christmas...Very nice suit and she can use it for double duty when fishing...It is on sale right now at Cabelas....

I have a BPS 100mph suit and I actually like some of the features of the guidewear better......Fly on the bibs being one of them...(I should have listened to Mini and gotten the pro qualifier bibs......)

You can lead a horse to water but you cant make em fish!

·
Registered
122 Posts
I was looking for a suit last year and after checking out different options i went with the arctic armor mainly because it floats. It's great in the rain. Ibought mine at Hicks outdoors in Clio. $300 for the jacket bibs and gloves, red and black only. They only had large bibs and med tops so thats what I bought. You can split up the sizes there. I'm 5'8 and 200 lbs there is plenty of room in each. I don't have any issues with cold spots, in fact a complaint I have is it doesn't breathe very well. The first time I tried it out it was 5 degrees out. I started walking and had the hood over my eyes to keep out the wind, it was chilly. At 1 mile off came the hood, at 2 miles I unzipped the top. I walked abut 3 miles and by the time I got home I was dripping from sweat. Now on the way out to the ice I regulate the suit by unzipping and zipping up. I have laid on my rubber mat on the ice in 20 degree weather for up to 5 hrs and staying warm. Its not perfect but I like mine . I also use it on the boat for rain and cold

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
QUOTE(Mini @ Oct 24 2009, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(motocross269 @ Oct 24 2009, 03:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I bought my wife some Thinsulate insulated Goretex Guidewear for christmas...Very nice suit and she can use it for double duty when fishing...It is on sale right now at Cabelas....

I know it..That was 2 times last year I didn't listen to you and both times it cost me money.....
One time about 2000 dollars...

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(motocross269 @ Oct 26 2009, 12:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Mini @ Oct 24 2009, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(motocross269 @ Oct 24 2009, 03:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I bought my wife some Thinsulate insulated Goretex Guidewear for christmas...Very nice suit and she can use it for double duty when fishing...It is on sale right now at Cabelas....

I know it..That was 2 times last year I didn't listen to you and both times it cost me money.....
One time about 2000 dollars...

Some day young Jedi....lol

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
I agree pick up a shanty and a heater. You can get some great deals right npow on craigslist if you can't afford brand new ones. I bought a shappell 3 man shanty and a heater for 75 bucks off from craigslist and I will never go back to sitting out in the cold again. After about five minutes it is toasty inside and you have to start stripping down.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.