Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner

ICE-FISHING-SAFETY

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  vyndrup 
#1 ·
Just putting some safety tips, for you all. ANYONE PLEASE ADD SOMETHING YOU THINK IS IMPORTANT!!! Thanks.

1. Wear a personal flotation device and don't fish alone.
2. Leave information about your plans with someone--where you intend to fish and when you plan to return.
3. "Know before You Go." Know the conditions of the ice before venturing out; taking into consideration recent possible effects changes in the weather have had on the ice.
4. Children should ALWAYS be supervised on the ice.
5. Use an ice spud bar or an auger to test the ice ahead of you.
6. Before venturing out onto the ice, check with local sources, such as bait and tackle shops, for the most up-to-date information.
7. Avoid ice formed over flowing water near shore, around inlets and outlets of streams, or on lakes with SPRINGS!!!! biggie.
8. Avoid aeration devices such as warmwater bubblers used near marinas.
9. Early winter freezes and thaws, occurring now in the Upper Peninsula, render ice UNSAFE!! for any type of traffic, especially in December and early-January. Temperature fluctuations typically occurring in March and April will again make for uncertain ice.
10. Be suspicious of GRAY, DARK or porous spots in the ice as these may be soft areas. Ice is generally strongest where it is hard and BLUE.
11. Heavy snow cover insulates ice and prevents it from freezing as evenly and as quickly as it would if the snow weren't there. Snow cover is also deceptive and makes evaluating the ice cover difficult.
12. Be especially wary of river ice, as it can be highly VARIABLE in thickness due to THE EROSIVE action of the underlying river current. One can be standing on ice eight-inches thick on a river and just a few feet away, the ice may be only two-inches thick.
13 Carry a couple of large nails or screwdrivers and a length of light nyolon rope. If you should go through the ice, the latter could help provide a "grip" on the slippery surface and aid in getting out. biggie!!! utmost important to do this... Just do it!!!!
14. Should you break through the ice, try and not panic. Remember to turn toward the direction you came from--toward the ice that supported you. Use the nails or screw drivers to gain a hold on the unbroken surface of the ice, and advance by KICKING your feet.
15. Once you are out of the water and are lying on the ice, don't STAND!!!!! Roll away from the point where you broke through until you are on solid ice.
16. If you do see someone fall throught the ice, DO NOT!! run toward them. Carefully extend a rope, ladder, pole, line, or even a tree branch to the victum.

MAKEING IT A POINT TO HAVE GOOD INFORMATION ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE ICE BEFORE VENTURING OUT, ASSUMING PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY, EXERCISING CAUTION AND HAVING SAFETY GEAR AVAILABLE WILL NOT MAKE A RECREATIONAL OUTING ON THE ICE RISK FREE--BUT IT WILL CERTAINLY HELP TO REDUCE THE RISK.

Now enjoy all the fish you will catch this season and remember to give some good thought before you venture out.. Please be careful and enjoy this winter...

h2o<----------say's think safety and enjoy... jig jig jig

If you think of a safety tip PLEASE ADD IT. thank you!!

See less See more
#2 ·
If available, take a cell phone to phone authorities if there is an emergency.

#3 ·
Great, timely post h2o.
Something else that should be covered when ice fishing large bodies of water (Lakes St. Clair and Erie, Saginaw Bay, etc.) and that is offshore winds and pressure cracks.
You should never cross an open pressure crack when there is a moderate to strong offshore wind. Winds can force the ice to separate at these weak areas eliminating your way back to shore. The next thing you know, "Adios", you're on an ice flow bound for Canada or the next candidate for a Coast Guard helicopter ride.
People who check the conditions (ice, weather and wind) before they head out, and stay aware of changes in these conditions while they're out, will usually have a safe ice fishing experience.
Think safety first, then go out and get some slabs.
Do It On The Ice!

#4 ·
Just a little addition to that PWood:

You don't get to take anything when the Coast Guard rescue's you.

All your stuff is history!!!!!

I'm not sure if they charge you for the rescue, but i think it's expensive.

h2o -----says good reply PWood.

#5 ·
I've been checking fishing reports around the state and have heard of a few impatient anglers hitting the ice on some small lakes near Cadillac and even as close as Pontiac Lake. With warmer temps. and rain predicted for tomorrow and Wednesday it's probabley a good idea to back off and wait til the ice gets a little thicker. Better to be safe than sorry. Remember, no amount of fish is worth risking your life.

#6 ·
Some should read this again.

h2o<---says gee wiz be careful.

#7 ·
Thanks for the suggestions Greg. Its still very dangerous out there, and I hope everyone follows them! As far as I am concerned, these should be posted on the front page of LSCN for the remainder of the season... Attached you should see my take of what's going on on the lake...

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
QUOTE(Czar @ Dec 7 2003, 08:28 AM)If available, take a cell phone to phone authorities if there is an emergency.
if you take a cell phone, keep it in the highest pocket of your body so if you do happen to go in, hopefully it doesn't get wet. A submerged cell phone is useless.

carry a gps. a friend of mine went out on saginaw bay alot last year and one time while he was in his shanty, the weather went from beautiful, calm and clear to white-out conditions. He never noticed until he got out of the shanty to go home. Visability was about 20 yards. After about 1/2 hour someone came by that had a gps and got him back to shore. He then bought one for himself on his way home. White-out conditions can be a real beotch especially if you're heading towards open water and don't know it!

#10 ·
I have another helpful thing to bring. Bring a good pair of spikes for your boots if there is any uncovered ice. I was out on LSC once on smooth ice. A very nasty storm came in from the shore (30-40mph winds) and I almost thought I would never get me, my shanty and my gear across the slick ice until the wind died down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.