Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I know lots of guys here ice fish and maybe should start looking at equipment and gear soon. Yesterday at Angler's Point Jerry and I were talking about stocking some stuff for all the guys that do the hard water fishing thing. I don't ice fish so I don't really know what is used so if anyone has some ideas for Jerry SPEAK UP now before the season gets here!

I need some help identifying a lure. I think its an ice fishing jigging spoon. The 2 I have are 1.5" (gold) and 2" (silver) with a single hook welded/soldered right on it. I've had both for 30 years and the hook finally broke on the silver one I had. I need a replacement! Anyone know what they are? I'll put up a pic when I get a chance. The gold one was just rounded like a spoon but the silver one actually has the simple profile of a shiner.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
SWEDISH PIMPLES, every place ive been to for ice fishing, has a ton of them, rows and rows of them.

im about to make a trip up to A.P. just to check everything out, i was there when they were redoing the store in the early spring. im gonna pick up a couple of members handy dandy lures, gotta support our guys!!! oh LUCY

ooh, im not a big fan of HT, but i am a fan of saving money, i bought a HT shany last winter that work'd pretty well. it definitely did its job. and less than $100,...... its just a suggestion, with tons of unemployed people, saving a few bucks might be worth a little lower quality. i havent had a single problem with mine, well i had a problem.... i had to put it in the attic.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I have looked at the Bay De Noc lure website and I don't think this is what I'm talking about. http://www.baydenoclure.com/pimple.htm These have a hook on a split ring, not welded right to the spoon.

Just had a thought!

If you think aboutt he Johnson's Silver Minnow, and take off the wire, it would be close. What I'm refering to is about 2 inches long but only maybe 1/4 to 5/16 inches wide. If you put the hook on the "rounded head" end and the "tail" end attaches to your line.

These pics have the correct spoon shape but the hook is wrong:
Snake Scaled reptile Reptile Fish Fashion accessory

Pliers Diagonal pliers Nipper Hand tool Wire stripper

This is the lure, but who makes it? Are they still around?
Plant Fish Tail Animal product Fashion accessory

Attachments

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
awe cmon chef, that means water foul is comin up too. im really looking forward to this ice season. last year was great for my first time out, but i was workin 60+ hours, then i requested a few vaca days so i could hit the ice beside the weekends, and i got laid off. lol only had maybe 3 weeks of fishing left at that point. so this year, marvin said i could go as much as i want!!!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Jigging Rapalas are a must, swedish pimples, and any of those standard really small jigs. My favorite lure would be the Northland Forage Minnow jig, in any of the holographic colors (especially silver shiner). Thats what i use 80% of the time.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
QUOTE(snowman @ Jul 23 2009, 07:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I need some help identifying a lure. I think its an ice fishing jigging spoon. The 2 I have are 1.5" (gold) and 2" (silver) with a single hook welded/soldered right on it. I've had both for 30 years and the hook finally broke on the silver one I had. I need a replacement! Anyone know what they are? I'll put up a pic when I get a chance. The gold one was just rounded like a spoon but the silver one actually has the simple profile of a shiner.

Sound like what I've always heard referred to as a Russian Spoon. They come in various sizes and configurations. And yes, they are ice jigs.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
I would recommend shappell shanties just cause they are a michigan product. And not wanting to start anything but we need to get ourselves out of the thinking of well i guess if i save a few bucks on this chinese item its ok. Stay american as much as possible. I too am laid off. But now I realize the err in my ways when all i bought was chinese. Go american whenever possible. Just my .02

·
Premium Member
19,196 Posts
QUOTE(sshhiittyy @ Jul 23 2009, 12:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>awe cmon chef, that means water foul is comin up too. im really looking forward to this ice season. last year was great for my first time out, but i was workin 60+ hours, then i requested a few vaca days so i could hit the ice beside the weekends, and i got laid off. lol only had maybe 3 weeks of fishing left at that point. so this year, marvin said i could go as much as i want!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
QUOTE(bowtiehater28 @ Jul 23 2009, 01:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I would recommend shappell shanties just cause they are a michigan product. And not wanting to start anything but we need to get ourselves out of the thinking of well i guess if i save a few bucks on this chinese item its ok. Stay american as much as possible. I too am laid off. But now I realize the err in my ways when all i bought was chinese. Go american whenever possible. Just my .02

amen brother!! We as sportsmen and sportswomen along with being fellow Michigainians should do whatever we can to help support our in state companies and American made products. Help support the locally grown and locally owned.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The fish shaped jig is a russian spoon. At one time they were very common and everyone had on in their box. You should still be able to find them somewhere.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I'moing along with the Chef. Cold water isn't good! Too many body parts getting cold, that aren't meant to be that way.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.