Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have never tried ice fishing but have been thinking of tring it this year. What type of fish do you normally fish for. I was also wondering do any of you try to target smallies during ice fishing or is it more the pan fish.

Bass Ninja

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
QUOTE(Bass Ninja @ Dec 16 2009, 08:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi, I have never tried ice fishing but have been thinking of tring it this year. What type of fish do you normally fish for. I was also wondering do any of you try to target smallies during ice fishing or is it more the pan fish.

Bass Ninja

Most are after panfish, some walleye, & pike on the tip-ups. Bass season is closed after Dec. 31st until the C&R season that starts the last Saturday in April. You will catch bass from time to time. I catch a lot of LM on tip-ups while trying for pike on one of the small lakes I fish.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Gotta give it a try! It can be alot of fun watching the fish come in and take your bait. I often times fish alone with plenty room, if you wish to give it a try, I would be more than happy to join up with you.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
LSC is by far mostly a perch lake through the ice. Once in a while you can get some MONSTER gills to come through and that is a blast. Other than that, a few pike here and there and some accidental LMB (again bass season is closed after the first of the year). I have never seen a SMB through the ice.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I have seen a few SMB's thru the ice over the years, not common though, and all out from Gino's in Jan./Feb.. Best one- I couldn't even pull through my 6" hole! I was regretting being too lazy that year to spud a bigger hole, and had my little auger that trip!

·
Registered
88 Posts
QUOTE(Bass Ninja @ Dec 16 2009, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi, I have never tried ice fishing but have been thinking of tring it this year. What type of fish do you normally fish for. I was also wondering do any of you try to target smallies during ice fishing or is it more the pan fish.

Bass Ninja

I have never fished LSC thru the ice, i wanna give it a go this year, but I do ALOT of ice fishing on ALOT of different lakes, last year a buddy got a real nice 19" bullhead thru the ice, saw a ton of walleye (though we couldn't get them to bite) big perch (speratic at best) and some big gills, also one of the biggest pike I have EVER seen in person out of whitmore lk.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.