Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I been a long time member of this forum for years. I been ice fishing for only the past two years now. I've fished cotton road, selfrige, metro beach, gino's, and the boat launch between 15&16 mile and haven't caught any decent size fish in the past two years what is the secret????? I read all these report and it drives me crazy that I can't catch anything of size. Maybe I should just take up sewing just a joke. I love my ice fishing just hate coming up short all the time GET IT. Anybody have any tips or maybe I can beg somebody to take me out one time to show me the ropes???

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
It appears that some nice fish are mixed in with the dinks and are being caught out of most access places.

My recommendation is to sight fish now that the water has cleared up. It's pretty easy to drop it through the dinks down to the bigger fish. This worked for me yesterday.

If you can't lean over the hole all day or you don't have an underwater camera and shanty, you should upsize your spoon to 2" in size with a red anise ball. You will still have the dinks hit it, but you will hook fewer of them which means your lure will still be down there when a bigger fish gets a shot at it. Remember if your line is out of the water while you are unhooking a dink, you can't catch a keeper...

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Most of the guys, and gals, are only reporting after many days of drilling and catching dinks.; You're righy, It gets disheartening after days and days of only getting "dinks".
It's taking alot of drilling differant holes, and catching lots of dinks. But they are out there.

·
Registered
59 Posts
well you should first explain your techniques to everyone here. like what lures you use, and how you use them. do you jig short every few seconds? etc how far off bottom do you jig? sometimes perch like it off the bottom and sometimes they like it 6 inches off bottom. do you tip your lures with fresh meat ever? or do you just sit there with a minnow on and wait for your tip to turn? i hate to say it but this technique can miss a whole bunch of fish. Every time i go out my first hole , especially in morning, i jig it hard and fast with at least 2 diff jigs, like a pimple and a teardrop. sometimes i even jig the whole line, pull the jig all the way out drop it back down close to bottom then let it sit a bit, i do this for 5 min or so then slow my jigging down and pay close attention to soft bites. usually soft biting you wont even know they re there. sometimes if you get lucky, once they stop biting lures they will bite minnows. this usually works for perch and panfish. I think the harder you jig the bigger fish are attracted as well as the smaller. another thing i learned is that if the perch r feeding they will bite anything once if its moving, sinkers, clasps etc. sometimes jigheads tipped with minnow head, minnow or spikes works very well. this is al the info i can give you know good luck

·
Registered
697 Posts
QUOTE(Rockyrow @ Jan 17 2010, 09:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi I been a long time member of this forum for years. I been ice fishing for only the past two years now. I've fished cotton road, selfrige, metro beach, gino's, and the boat launch between 15&16 mile and haven't caught any decent size fish in the past two years what is the secret????? I read all these report and it drives me crazy that I can't catch anything of size. Maybe I should just take up sewing just a joke. I love my ice fishing just hate coming up short all the time GET IT. Anybody have any tips or maybe I can beg somebody to take me out one time to show me the ropes???

ive been ice fishing for nearly twenty years and usually only catch dinks when i go. it takes many years of experience to become a decent ice fisherman. if you stick with it, u will start getting good fish from time to time im sure

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(haventcaughtanything @ Jan 17 2010, 11:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>well you should first explain your techniques to everyone here. like what lures you use, and how you use them. do you jig short every few seconds? etc how far off bottom do you jig? sometimes perch like it off the bottom and sometimes they like it 6 inches off bottom. do you tip your lures with fresh meat ever? or do you just sit there with a minnow on and wait for your tip to turn? i hate to say it but this technique can miss a whole bunch of fish. Every time i go out my first hole , especially in morning, i jig it hard and fast with at least 2 diff jigs, like a pimple and a teardrop. sometimes i even jig the whole line, pull the jig all the way out drop it back down close to bottom then let it sit a bit, i do this for 5 min or so then slow my jigging down and pay close attention to soft bites. usually soft biting you wont even know they re there. sometimes if you get lucky, once they stop biting lures they will bite minnows. this usually works for perch and panfish. I think the harder you jig the bigger fish are attracted as well as the smaller. another thing i learned is that if the perch r feeding they will bite anything once if its moving, sinkers, clasps etc. sometimes jigheads tipped with minnow head, minnow or spikes works very well. this is al the info i can give you know good luck
Haven'tcaughtanything you have explained everything I have tryed myself with no luck??? I am retired and have a lot of time on my hands been out this year more then I ever have. If anybody needs company maybe I can see what I'm doing wrong I like catching the fish but I hate cleaning the fish you can keep them like to get out to have fun and fresh air

·
Registered
59 Posts
i find barometric pressure definitley has an effect on wether or no the fish will bite. 1010 or 1020 millibars is what im experimenting with. How about your hook and bait size , are they too small? and usually the harder faster the jigging lures the bigger ones. i was jigging for perch one day and had a huge musky swim up to my teardrop, i let it sit a sec then jigged it really fast that thing turned right away and took my jig forever. soemtimes i use a # 2(i think ) rapala ice jig , this seems to gget bigger ones to bite. and yes this year is definitley harder to get jumbos, i guess people think the perch are overpopulated, meaning less food to grow. i guess im gonna throw all the dinks in the garden then.

·
Registered
59 Posts
QUOTE(little guy @ Jan 17 2010, 10:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It appears that some nice fish are mixed in with the dinks and are being caught out of most access places.

My recommendation is to sight fish now that the water has cleared up. It's pretty easy to drop it through the dinks down to the bigger fish. This worked for me yesterday.

If you can't lean over the hole all day or you don't have an underwater camera and shanty, you should upsize your spoon to 2" in size with a red anise ball. You will still have the dinks hit it, but you will hook fewer of them which means your lure will still be down there when a bigger fish gets a shot at it. Remember if your line is out of the water while you are unhooking a dink, you can't catch a keeper...
excellent advice
i agree with this, as this is what i do

·
Registered
172 Posts
i agree with little guy, use bigger spoons. i havehad great luck on slab grabbers so far. and until i marked 8 through 13 inches on my rod this weekend, i realized i was throwing back fifteen to twenty fish a day that i thought were 7 inchers, that were in fact 8's. guess the eyes are starting to go too. good luck. oh yeah, been ice fishing since i was 3 (38 now) and i change a few things in my program every year. and no fish, keep moving. find them, don't wait for them find you. perch are lazy.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
only been on the ice like 3 times and
1st time-nothing
2nd time-dinks
third time-cought alot of 8-10" but i usually let them go

same tactics
i think it just depends on time and place

you have to work for them
sometimes a spot 10 feet away wont get any and the other spot is hot

1 - 11 of 11 Posts