Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Ice formations make their way down from Lake Huron under the Blue Water Bridge and into the St. Clair River at Port Huron.

By Robert Selwa, Macomb Daily Staff Writer March 25, 2003

The signs of nature indicate springtime. But on the waters of the Great Lakes, the signs of say otherwise. For on the Great Lakes, the great ice show continues.

It is the time when the ice that covered most of the Great Lakes this winter is beginning to break up and flow, often creating enormous and unusual formations.

When temperatures dipped as low as 14 below zero along the northern Michigan shore of Lake Huron in early March, Lake Huron froze over. It became the third of the Great Lakes to freeze, joining Lake Superior and Lake Erie. At the same time, much of Lake Michigan and Lake Ontario were covered by ice.

The ice becomes a wonderland of formations by the end of a winter, with dazzling scenery along the 3,200 miles of shoreline in Michigan.

Chunks of ice on Lake Huron flow into the St. Clair River at Port Huron. The flow continues through the St. Clair Flats. The ice was so substantial this year that the ferry to Harsen's Island had to suspend activity, and the populated island was isolated temporarily.

It is rare for a Great Lake to freeze over. Lake Erie because it is the most shallow, and Lake Superior because it is the most northern, are the two most likely to freeze over when a winter is unusually long and cold. Lake Michigan and Lake Ontario normally do not freeze over completely because they are deep and do not extend as far north.

One of the best places to see the magnificent ice show is Port Huron. The city is located where Lake Huron flows into the St. Clair River under the Blue Water Bridge.

Port Huron has extensive parkland along the St. Clair River, plus Lighthouse Park on Lake Huron, next to the Fort Gratiot Lighthouse, one of the oldest working lighthouses on the Great Lakes.

Link to Story

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
I was at the Thomas Edison Inn yesterday and the river was pretty ice free. I could not see ice in Huron either, although I know there is plenty more to head downstream. The river had a few "bergs" running down her and the insides of most of the bends still had some ice. It wont be long thank the Lord!

Mini

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
always thought that was so cool looking, thanks mike !

·
Registered
220 Posts
I was at the Soo Locks up in Sault Ste Marie this afternoon and the first freighters are now going through. It was interesting that the water on the west side of the locks was still packed solid with ice junks whereas the east side of the locks had no ice at all. There was also a coast guard boat out as well as one of the coast guard helicopter!

·
LSCN Sponsor
142 Posts
Was up to Port Huron Saturday. As far as you can see there is no sign of any ice on Lake Huron from the mouth of the St. Clair River. Also no ice in the river all the back to North Channel. At least there aren't any ice dams preventing the water from rising.

Also talked to my dad, he was in Port Austin this weekend. He said the water there is down about 13" ( big problems for their harbor?) I guess the water is low enough that you can walk out the the light house and wouldn't get your shorts wet.

Were is all the water going with a good ice cap this winter?

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
I was on Harsens yesterday and I saw no ice anywhere. I went to tTin Fish too and it was very shallow in front. The birds were standing out there on the water.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts