Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday evening my uncle and myself were fishing a few miles out from 12 mile, when out of nowhere this boat is barreling down on us. I figure about a 28 footer, maybe more. I figure he was doing about 30 mph. He's aiming right for us. I figure at some point this idiot will see us and turn. Well he didnt. if anything he turned more towards us. We were in a 16 ft boat. wasnt dark at all. at the last second my uncle happened to have an air horn next him, and blew it towards the idiot. He obviously heard it, and made a hard left missing the front of our boat by maybe 15-20 ft. This is way to close!!! He actually stopped about 300 yds away, but never came back to apologize, and eventually kept going....Be careful people, thats all I ask...Pay some damn attention!!! look in front of you at some point. you never know whos there. I'm not much of a fisher, and have a 25 ft cruiser myself. So i'm not bagging on non fisherman. Just certain idiots! However I look where I'm going usually!

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Yeah there are a people out there that make you wonder...
I was going through the cut from Fisher Bay to Browns the other day on the Laguna, something I couldnt do with the lower water levels but can just manage to squeak through this year. Around the curve comes a guy in a pontoon boat right down the center of the cut, we were both on plane, I slowed immediately while moving as far to the right as I could, so much so that the reeds were whipping the side of the boat, the guy in the pontoon didnt make any evasive meneauvers whatsoever, he stayed right in the center and didn't even bother to slow down. If I didn't act it would have been a deadly collision for sure, and even as it was it was way to close for comfort. Some people don't even think/care. I know everyone makes a mistake or miscalculation every once in a while, and I am not going to say I'm not guilty of ever having made a mistake, but this was clear as day just ignorance and incompetency. From now on I always slow coming around the curve, I like to be on plane to get through the opening of the cut in Fisher Bay as it's pretty skinny there, but I can float through at idle if need be as I did on the way back that same night.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Ya, funny story...not really.

I was out in our center console. Was boating nicely between metro and clinton. es This goes back about 6 weeks ago.

There was a fisherman in my line of sight...so I wanted to ensure I went way around them. Proceeded to do so and a 34 foot sea ray began to head right for me. I made a noticalbe move to port...so did he...then to starboard...so did he.

He was heading dead on to me....and I refused to get near the fisherman.

So I shut down.

He bobbed around came along side of me - about 15 feet. I yelled...learn to drive...he yelled...suck me @#$. I yelled .... tell that to your wife not me (gay MF).

Turned out to be my neighbor. Still, he's dumb as rocks...and had no regard to boats, right of way, curtosy, etc.

Just one of many examples of idiots who need to learn.

I wish the governement would require testing.

Everyone should pay attention, observe right of way , watch the floating boats...just be careful and have fun.

Jeff

·
Registered
456 Posts
I don't understand the "local protocols".
Every time I anchor somewhere for lunch, a nap, a swim or a dive: Some speed demon decides to haul a$$ and use me for a slalom cone. If I'm anchored, other boats should not be on plane coming 25' to 50' from me, doing 25+. That is just rude.
I don't care who you think you are, who your daddy is, or how nice your boat is (compared to "the slut"). You are not cool, your a dyck.

At the races this weekend, while we were anchored, a blue and white Scarab zoomed between the boats by us, 20'+/- away from me. The smoothed cheek boys on the coast guard boat and PB7 were within visual. Too busy to care.

Then the white Formula (your a dyck too) pulled near the same stunt but on the other side of us. WTF, we can tell your fast, you don't need to prove it around anchored boats. I told him he was #1 using the universal single digit extended.

And lastly after these and more, a couple of guys in a 16 footer were trying to anchor in the river, amongst the boats, drifted 500 yards before he could get a set. Almost in the course, CG told him to move. He moves way upstream 100yds past us, and gives it another shot. This time he hit a boat.

All this is happening in front of those agencies out there to keep it safe. If your going to let it be a free for all, stay on the dock, don't bother.

I'll save the jet skis and the ramp for another post

·
Vendor
12,824 Posts
This past weekend while on our jet boat we stopped at Browns for lunch and continue through the Snook's Hy to Little Muscamoot Bay. Those who know (as Laguna knows) by that old cottage near the end. We came off plane because of the two on coming Yamaha jet boats into the now very narrow channel. They did not come off plane so they swamped both us and the two PWC's in front of us also off plane. The PWC operators were throwing their hands up in the air, we were throwing our fingers in the air. Both Yamaha Captains and passengers obviously did not care. We could see it clearly in the whites of their eyes. We were that close, but couldn't pay that much attention because my attention was drawn away because of the water that was flushing into our boat.

If I could have words with those two boat owners I would definitely remind them of the gentleman that was killed in a boat collision in that very spot a few years back.

I know what some of you will say.....yes, I know the Snook's Hy is completely no wake. We all know it and all of us fly through there. When it comes to traveling by the sea wall at that cottage you have to play it smart. Now that someone has taken possession and is now fixing it up I am always cautious and slow down to look to see if a boat is tied there or other boats are on coming. I have slowed to a no wake more than on plane this year more than ever. It's the right thing to do anyway. I think about the life that was lost every time I pass that spot.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Anchored at Art Van you get this a lot with jet skis. They like to run in that shallow water. It is annoying (and against the law). When we brought our waverunner out there I always told everyone to get out well clear before taking off.

If the state is in such financial trouble, seems like and easy way to generate some loot. I know you dont want to get out of hand and discourage boating, but educate them of the rules and make a few bucks while you are at it.

·
Registered
701 Posts
QUOTE(Convincor @ Aug 4 2009, 08:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>This past weekend while on our jet boat we stopped at Browns for lunch and continue through the Snook's Hy to Little Muscamoot Bay. Those who know (as Laguna knows) by that old cottage near the end. We came off plane because of the two on coming Yamaha jet boats into the now very narrow channel. They did not come off plane so they swamped both us and the two PWC's in front of us also off plane. The PWC operators were throwing their hands up in the air, we were throwing our fingers in the air. Both Yamaha Captains and passengers obviously did not care. We could see it clearly in the whites of their eyes. We were that close, but couldn't pay that much attention because my attention was drawn away because of the water that was flushing into our boat.

If I could have words with those two boat owners I would definitely remind them of the gentleman that was killed in a boat collision in that very spot a few years back.

I know what some of you will say.....yes, I know the Snook's Hy is completely no wake. We all know it and all of us fly through there. When it comes to traveling by the sea wall at that cottage you have to play it smart. Now that someone has taken possession and is now fixing it up I am always cautious and slow down to look to see if a boat is tied there or other boats are on coming. I have slowed to a no wake more than on plane this year more than ever. It's the right thing to do anyway. I think about the life that was lost every time I pass that spot.

The same person has own that cottage for years. If you look you will see awhite cross where a guy die years ago..........I think they hit that wall

·
Vendor
12,824 Posts
One other stupid move on a boater's part this past weekend was within Canoe Cut from the Sni Bora to Fisher Bay. Every local out there knows that almost every fisherman, PWC, jet boat, and pontoon boat fly through this cut all the time. Sometimes at very high speeds. Especially on the weekends.

We proceeded through on plane from the Sni to Fisher to find a Jon Boat anchored at the mouth of the cut near Fisher's exactly within the middle of the cut. Only to give about 8' clearance on each side of their boat from the weeds. I continued to slow down to a no wake speed to pass the three fishermen. However coming from the same direction as we came was a 18'-20' outboard speed boat going very fast. They passed these guys within 2' to 3' from the bow of the Jon boat. These guys didn't seem too bothered to much by this, but I couldn't imagine sitting there on a busy weekend like that. These guys are really risking their life. And for what? To catch a large fish or to spite every other boater that speeds through there all the time. Not worth the risk in my mind.

Once again I know the Canoe Cut is technically no wake, but there is law then there is being stupid. I certainly wouldn't put myself in that situation.

Canoe cut marked in RED

Water resources Ecoregion Map World Water

Attachments

·
Vendor
12,824 Posts
QUOTE(eddiebauer @ Aug 4 2009, 08:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The same person has own that cottage for years. If you look you will see awhite cross where a guy die years ago..........I think they hit that wall

Yeah. The cross is still there. I don't know the exact details, but I thought the wall had something to do with it with the another boat being involved. Ether way, very tragic.

·
Registered
701 Posts
QUOTE(Convincor @ Aug 4 2009, 08:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>One other stupid move on a boater's part this past weekend was within Canoe Cut from the Sni Bora to Fisher Bay. Every local out there knows that almost every fisherman, PWC, jet boat, and pontoon boat fly through this cut all the time. Sometimes at very high speeds. Especially on the weekends.

We proceeded through on plane from the Sni to Fisher to find a Jon Boat anchored at the mouth of the cut near Fisher's exactly within the middle of the cut. Only to give about 8' clearance on each side of their boat from the weeds. I continued to slow down to a no wake speed to pass the three fishermen. However coming from the same direction as we came was a 18'-20' outboard speed boat going very fast. They passed these guys within 2' to 3' from the bow of the Jon boat. These guys didn't seem too bothered to much by this, but I couldn't imagine sitting there on a busy weekend like that. These guys are really risking their life. And for what? To catch a large fish or to spite every other boater that speeds through there all the time. Not worth the risk in my mind.

Once again I know the Canoe Cut is technically no wake, but there is law then there is being stupid. I certainly wouldn't put myself in that situation.

Canoe cut marked in RED

View attachment 64955

Bill the Canoe Cut is only no wake for 26 ft boats and more I attached the new map

Attachments

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
My neighbor came in a couple weeks ago upset because he lost his hat.

I asked how he lost his hat. He said he needed to stand up to see over the weeds as he was making a turn to look for other boats. He was on plane of course. Not sure which cut but he was on the way from Anchor Bay to Gull.

He has a 20' jet boat.

I suggested that was suicide taking a blind turn on plane but he did not see a problem.

Matt

·
Premium Member
21,452 Posts
QUOTE(Convincor @ Aug 4 2009, 08:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>This past weekend while on our jet boat we stopped at Browns for lunch and continue through the Snook's Hy to Little Muscamoot Bay. Those who know (as Laguna knows) by that old cottage near the end. We came off plane because of the two on coming Yamaha jet boats into the now very narrow channel. They did not come off plane so they swamped both us and the two PWC's in front of us also off plane. The PWC operators were throwing their hands up in the air, we were throwing our fingers in the air. Both Yamaha Captains and passengers obviously did not care. We could see it clearly in the whites of their eyes. We were that close, but couldn't pay that much attention because my attention was drawn away because of the water that was flushing into our boat.

The people in these two boats were quite a bit older and I couldn't believe they flew through there like they did...even after seeing how narrow it was and that we were all slowed down. I was livid Building Font Music Automotive lighting Event
TOTAL stupidity.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts