Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
don't see the connection ??
I dont either....
but if we (as humans) are capable of such outstanding feats.....
can someone PLEASE cure cancer ???

http://finance.boston.com/boston/?GUID=942...age=MEDIAVIEWER

The American Sailing Association (ASA), the nation's largest sailing association, estimates that fewer than 250 people in contemporary history have been known to "circumnavigate the globe via sailboat, solo." Nearly three times as many individuals have succeeded in reaching the top of Mt. Everest.

On July 16, 17 year-old Zac Sunderland of Thousand Oaks, Calif. will return to Marina del Rey to set two world records - as the youngest person to circumnavigate the globe by himself by sailboat, and as the first person to have ever set this record under the age of 18. The American Sailing Association will officially certify these records upon Sunderland's return.

Sunderland, who left Marina del Rey when he was 16 years old, has encountered experiences and conditions in the past year that few people are in position to appreciate or to comprehend, first-hand.

"Imagine starting this trip at age 16 and doing this alone," said Charlie Nobles, executive director of the American Sailing Association (ASA). "Consider the patience this voyage entails - people don't realize that much of the time, you are travelling at a speed under three miles per hour. At times, the wind literally stops - it can be hours, days or weeks until the wind returns and the boat can get moving again. The patience, knowledge and fortitude required for such a journey is immeasurable. And, it's beyond unusual to find those qualities in someone Zac's age - this is an age group we associate with all things instantaneous - texting, tweeting at a mile per second."

"We applaud Zac not only for his great achievement, but also for the attention he brings to the sport of sailing," Nobles continued. "Learning to sail unlocks the world for those who participate - many of our members have entirely changed their lifestyles since learning to sail. We say 'turn your passion into your lifestyle.'"

The ASA is one of the participating sponsors of Zac Sunderland's voyage.

To view ASA's full press release - including facts at a glance about solo circumnavigation - please visit http://asa.com/pressroom.html#zac.

·
LSCN Sponsor
4,543 Posts
well Judi
they will never cure it they only want to treat it

when was the last time anything was cured?

they make a pill to tolorate it and create money

if they cured it then no more money

take it how ever but I think there is alot to do about that.

a cure will never happen

·
Registered
15,073 Posts
I believe there is a big difference between an individual achievement, and solving a puzzle that mother nature hands us.

Individuals climb mountains, cross seas, set records. It take a lot of willpower and determination. Nothing that we don't all have. But some are better at taking advantage of them.

But solving the puzzles of nature? We must know by now that we know even less, percentage wise, then we thought we did 20 years ago. There are things we've figured out. But for every one of those there are 10 or 100 new things we trip over and don't understand.

If/when they find a cure for cancer it will be great day.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
When the first person sailed around the world alone, there was no knowledge of cancer. Back then everyone died from an accident or natural causes. Sometimes I think we were better off not knowing.

·
Registered
9,917 Posts
Judi - thanks for bringing this up!

I watched the kid on the news the other night, how cool is that... to sail around the oceans blue- in solo, in todays hussle and bustle world. Great story.

I also agree with Mark about cancer
Too much money made in chemo, radiation, associated nursing and doctoring, surgeries. The companies would be stupid (in their eyes) to find a cure.... same thing with Alzheimers I imagine.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
QUOTE(Chriznat25 @ Jul 16 2009, 02:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I also agree with Mark about cancer
Too much money made in chemo, radiation, associated nursing and doctoring, surgeries. The companies would be stupid (in their eyes) to find a cure.... same thing with Alzheimers I imagine.

Sad, but most likely true.

·
Registered
17,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't believe that theory for a minute.
Medical field is so highly competitive ...

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
QUOTE(Stodge @ Jul 16 2009, 02:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I believe there is a big difference between an individual achievement, and solving a puzzle that mother nature hands us.

Individuals climb mountains, cross seas, set records. It take a lot of willpower and determination. Nothing that we don't all have. But some are better at taking advantage of them.

But solving the puzzles of nature? We must know by now that we know even less, percentage wise, then we thought we did 20 years ago. There are things we've figured out. But for every one of those there are 10 or 100 new things we trip over and don't understand.

If/when they find a cure for cancer it will be great day.

Yes.
Besides Oceans been there a long time and men been sailing them ever since

I see no connection

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
If they can send a man to the moon...
(why can't they send them all???)

·
Registered
17,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE(freckles @ Jul 16 2009, 03:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If they can send a man to the moon...
(why can't they send them all???)

·
Registered
17,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ummmmmmm

here is the "connection"

A rhetorical question is a figure of speech in the form of a question posed for its persuasive effect without the expectation of a reply (ex: "Why me, Lord?")[1] Rhetorical questions encourage the listener to reflect on what the implied answer to the question must be. When a speaker states, "How much longer must our people endure this injustice?", no formal answer is expected. Rather, it is a device used by the speaker to assert or deny something.

·
Registered
9,917 Posts
QUOTE(LakeNewbie @ Jul 16 2009, 04:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>HAHAHHAHA
is that not PERFECT ????

LOVE IT!! hahahah

Especially since I know the meaning behind it

Might have to use that sig on some other forums that I frequent. Its hilarious!!

·
Registered
17,155 Posts
saw it....it dawned on me...once I stopped laughing...I had to make it my sig !!

I should say also that I ran it by a friend who thought it was perfect too !

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
QUOTE(LakeNewbie @ Jul 16 2009, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>don't see the connection ??
I dont either....
but if we (as humans) are capable of such outstanding feats.....
can someone PLEASE cure cancer ???
Floating is a lot easier than the manipulating misbehaving cells.

What an experience! Amazing!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts