Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am beside myself with anticipation today and I just have to share it with you. I'm going to an event tonight that is a roast of Sonny Eliot! I love him and have listened to him as long as I can remember, and that's a looong time (poor Sonny - gone are any young chick groupies he may have ever had and he's left with fans like me, a chubby old bearded geezer). When Sonny retires, it just won't feel like Detroit to me anymore. I listen to his radio broadcasts still every day at 5:20 pm on WWJ, AM950.

The roast is being held at the Roostertail, the fancy restaurant in Detroit on Jefferson for special events only (used to be a supper club, too).

I don't think some of these names will mean much to most of you, but here's the list of those roasting Sonny:

Jim Brandstatter - sportscaster married to Robbie Timmons
Bill Bonds - alcoholic ahole newsman
Carol Duvall - used to have a local talk show
Geoffey Feiger - exploitive ahole attorney
Johnny Ginger - host of kids' TV show when I was little
Ernie Harwell - Tigers announcer
Rich Homberg - General Manager of WWJ
Gordie Howe - the one and only Mr. Hockey
Bob Hynes - home show host
Kassie Kassem - America's top 40 man
Ray Lane - ancient sportscaster
Jack Lessenberry - columnist
Budd Lynch - old Red Wing announcer
Bruce Martin - old Red Wing announcer
L. Brooks Patterson - drunk driver & county executive
Dwanye X. Riley - old newsman
Joe Schmidt - former Detroit Lion
Frank Sisson - this is the one guy I don't recall
Pete Waldmeir - columnist

Wow! What a selection of old time Detroit celebrities. I'm having a hard time concentrating on work, I'm so damn excited.

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
Where's Count Scary?

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
GOD... SONNY WAS THE CHUCK GADICA OF THE 70`S!!!!! I USED TO THINK HE WAS AWESOME. BUT I THOUGHT HE ALREADY RETIRED. IS THIS OPEN TO THE PUBLIC,IF SO HOW MUCH????

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
His mother used to live on our street when we lived in Detroit, Appleline (s/p). I was very young.........He was always a crack up though.

Have fun at the roast and post some pics!

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Yep, it's open to the public but I think you had to purchase tickets before today - I don't think they will have any at the door. But you could call the International Institute in Detroit, for which this is a benefit, and ask if there will be any tickets available if you really want to go. They are 100 bucks each. The number of the International Institute is (313) 871-8600. Maybe you can still put them on plastic and the tickets would be waiting for you at the door. Starts at 6pm tonight with a "strolling dinner".

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
have fun! i was supposed to go to it, but alas.. the soscl auction! where we will rock out the cash flow for soscl!

have fun!!!

·
LSCN Sponsor
1,910 Posts
Hey boatmonkey almost all of those names are familiar to me, have a great time I also have enjoyed Sonny for many a year.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
sonny at the detroit zoo .... remember watching when little . long time ago !!

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
I know this is off topic but we should have a LSCN second chance prom.... ?????

I, personally had a horrible prom experience....would'nt it be fun to try again!

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(puppetshow @ Sep 23 2003, 02:53 PM)I, personally had a horrible prom experience....would'nt it be fun to try again!
But who would I ask?

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
QUOTE(Snowmaker @ Sep 23 2003, 02:59 PM)QUOTE(puppetshow @ Sep 23 2003, 02:53 PM) I, personally had a horrible prom experience....would'nt it be fun to try again!
But who would I ask?

you married people are stuck w/ your current spouses..BUT us single people...........

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(puppetshow @ Sep 23 2003, 03:13 PM)you married people are stuck w/ your current spouses..BUT us single people...........
<_<

Wouldn't it be funny if we had this and we all had to go dig up our old prom date from high school in order to attend.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
QUOTE(Snowmaker @ Sep 23 2003, 03:16 PM)QUOTE(puppetshow @ Sep 23 2003, 03:13 PM)
you married people are stuck w/ your current spouses..BUT us single people...........

Wouldn't it be funny if we had this and we all had to go dig up our old prom date from high school in order to attend.

NO WAY-

I wouldn't go out w/ that guy again if you paid me-

that's why I said "second chance" prom- hence...NEW DATE !!

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Tootin' my own horn here...I developed the web site for the International Institute of Metropolitan Detroit Click Here To Check It Out!

The IIMD is a really cool organization and the people I worked with down there are great givers to the community.

Hope the benefit was fun!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts