Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
My brother in-law called me, he is going through the panama canal right now on his 53 ft catamaran. He wants me to make the trip with him to Marquesas Islands, so I jumped right on that one. We are going to the Galapogos islands first.

I leave early Monday, see you all when I get back.

Regards,

John

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
where in the crap is French Polynesia? I swear to God John you go to places I've only heard of barely before and for the life of me can only tell you it may or may not be near the equator
LOL

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
BTW - Bon Voyage

Be safe and embrace the world mate! I'm sure you'll meet many more interesting people along the way.....

Take Care!
Shan

·
Registered
737 Posts
QUOTE(Shandog @ Apr 24 2004, 09:13 PM)where in the crap is French Polynesia? I swear to God John you go to places I've only heard of barely before and for the life of me can only tell you it may or may not be near the equator
LOL

Sounds like hell.

"Farther from a continental landfall than any other group of islands on earth, the twelve Marquesas jut out of the open Pacific just south of the equator, shrouded in a constant cloud cover. Brooding volcanic pinnacles pierce the landscape, while the lush vegetation overflows with sweet-smelling plumeria, bougainvillea, orchids, spider lilies, flamboyant, ginger, ylang-ygland, jasmine and tiare flowers. Gauguin lived and is burried there."

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
i'm so happy for you! that is so awesome.

i'm quitting my job tomorrow and selling my condo. i'm dropping my cat off at my parent's house today. does he need a housekeeper? call me at my parent's house 248.395.1225 if i can go. SERIOUSLY! i have a passport so entry into the country is no problem.

PS: there is a live webcam and peeps can see the boats going through the ???? locks. if anyone is interested do a search on the internet for the webcams on the panama canal

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hey Merlin - can I be Mrs. Merlin or if the spot is filled do you have a brother I can be Mrs. Merlin to and go wit choo. Wave that magic wand of yours and make it happen.
P.S. I hope you have been keeping a journal of memoirs because you certainly made those islands sound attractive - I was smelling the ylang-ylang. You've got a way with words.

Good sailing and best wishes for a safe return !

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
I've been to the American Marquesas Islands, just south of the Fl Keys in Ocean Survival School. I never knew about the French.

If I didn't have to babysit next week, I would try to hitch a ride.

Have a great time.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
WOW...Jon that is way to cool. Your description of the place blows away any Jimmy Buffet about the ocean...however I am sure Buffett has been to one or 2 of those places you have traveled to. Hats off to you mate...take care and stay safe. On a more serious note...are there safety precautions that you must take regarding "pirates" or are these just myths?

·
LSCN Sponsor
4,403 Posts
More details~
How many people on that boat?
How long will it take you to get there?
do they have an airport on the island?
Will the owners ride?

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Merlin, wish I was you
One of these days I'm going to runaway from home and don't be frightened if you find me on your ship.

·
Premium Member
7,443 Posts
Bon Voyage and be safe my friend. Please, send pictures and stay in contact.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts