Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great Lakes Fishing Council Website

Great Lakes Fishing Council Meeting on Lake Erie and Lake St. Clair (PDF file)

Lower Lakes Meeting Agenda (PDF file)

These links will give you information on how to get involved with this meeting about the Lower Great Lakes taking place this coming Monday and Tuesday (3/24 & 3/25) at the Thomas Edison Inn in Port Huron.

I have been asked to attend the meeting as a member of the public and I do plan on attending on Tuesday Afternoon when the discussions will involve Lake St. Clair.

Please try to attend and get involved.

If anyone would like to car pool let me know, this is the first of many chances to open the lines of communication with the powers that be on "OUR" beautiful lake.

See http://www.GLFC.org for additional information, or click on the links above.

Mini

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
David Reault, where are you? I can't attend during the day Tuesday. Maybe you can go and see how things sound, especially at the St. Clair part.

Mini, you going to take good notes? There might be some good things to report back on. I hope a few different guys can make it. It would be interesting to hear a discussion from several anglers who attended.

I appreciate you letting people know so they can make a choice about going or not.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Can't make it on Monday but will be attending Tuesday's session. Will share notes if you would like.

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
Monday is no good for me, but Tuesday look ok. Mini, you want to drive up together?

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sure Alex. I will be around, call my cell. I am only attending the St. Clair portion on Tuesday afternoon.

Mini

·
Registered
666 Posts
What time is the St. Clair part scheduled for Tuesday? Didn't see it on their link.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The tuesday St. Clair agenda seems very intersting. I wish I could go! That darn work thing is getting in the way again.

I hope everyone is doing well. Can't wait to go fishing!

Joe O

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Joe,

I was wondering how you have been doing....didnt see you at any of the shows this year....

Howsthingz?

Mini

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey Mini,

I am doing good. There are two reasons I haven't been to the shows, well, actually I was at BPS the first day of the show. I was there after work. I talked to Doug and picked up a few things. I was hoping to run into you and catch one of your seminars. The first reason, and this is a good thing, is that my wife and I are expecting our first baby in May. We have been real busy getting ready. The second reason is since my last Guillian-Barre (a disease of the periphery nerves) attack this past August, I have found it difficult to stand on my feet or walk for more than 1/2 hour due to pain in my legs and feet. I hide it well but it gets to be a real pain in the you know what. The good news is that I am getting better.

Any way thanks for asking. I hope ice out is soon, especially since my fishing days will most likely be limited once the baby arrives.

Maybe I will see you on the water

Joe O

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
Mini, I can't make it Tuesday either. Sorry bro.

Joe, I hope your feeling better....

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Very informative meeting, I am going to go through my notes this afternoon or tomorrow and try to post a brief description of topics covered. There were some alarming stats.....I am going from memory here...

Lake St Clair, the St Clair River and the Detroit River are close to 1% of water mass in the Great Lakes and yet they recieve 43% of the fishing effort in Michigan!

Current mean water levels of Lake St Clair have seen a 48% drop from mean lake levels from 1918-1999!

The OMNR Creel Surveys (on the water surveys) stated that close to 7,000 muskies were caught on St Clair and only 5 were harvested (kept)! The hourly catch rate for musky is almost the same as walleye now!

The MDNR employs 7 Creel Cencus Clerks on the St Clair corridor (St Clair River, Lake St Clair and Detroit River), they also use a plane to count the boats on the lake for any given day to reach estimated angling effort. PLEASE give information to the fine young men and women doing the surveys (Creel Clerks), they do a valuable job in the managment of this lake. There are two that frequent this board (Jeremy and DNRJON) and also take their own personal time to give us ALL detailed fishing reports. How cool is that?!?!? WE ALL OWE THEM AN GREAT BIG THANK YOU!

Prior to Zebra Mussels we had 18 different species of unionid (clams and mussels and such, I am no biologist) now there is only 1, the zebra mussel.

Contrary to popular belief, highest walleye catches are found in the lowest secchi disk readings (a tool for measuring water clarity).

There are only three commercial fisheries that have been restablished on the system since the ban in 1970. All three reside on Lake St Clair. Sturgeon, Coarsefish and baitfish are there targets and baitfishing is the largest.

Zebra mussels are more prolific on the South Shore than in Anchor Bay. It seems that the water turnover and the age of the inhabiting mussels is a determining factor on how long they survive. Anchor Bay has they youngest zebra mussels in the lake.

There are 4.3 million people on the US side of the LSC watershed compared to 1.7 million on the Ontario side. Ontario hase more water AND more land in the water shed.

Mini

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
..The Zebra mussel distribution makes perfect sense if current plays a big part in that. The larvea basically suspend or float until they're big enough to stick to something,..and with the current flowing from north to south...the vast majority would end up "down stream"....I'm no biologist, but that's the first thing I thought of after reading your post. Great info dude!! thanks!!

Mac

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
...the bottom content is more indusive to zebra habitat in the Southern sections of the lake than the Northern...

Thanks for posting the info Mini

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Thanks Mini.

I indusivised (sorry Alex) several things from your report.

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
stop it DJK I have a cold and am known to mix my metaphores.....

After I sent it I was going to correct myself, but figured somebody would for me.....

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
QUOTE(Alex @ Mar 26 2003, 10:49 PM)stop it DJK I have a cold and am known to mix my metaphores.....

After I sent it I was going to correct myself, but figured somebody would for me.....
Is that a form of dyslexia or lackofsmallieitis?

Mini

1 - 20 of 20 Posts