Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hasn't been changed since I got the boat (3 year) so i think its probably due before it leaves me stranded

thinking of doing it myself, doesn't seem like too difficult a job

are there any special tools required??? other than a basic mechanics tool set....

anything particular to check, look for?? its an alpha outdrive

and

what would be a guestimate average that one would expect to pay for an impeller change if i took it to the shop

thanks.....

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(Dos mangos @ Jun 17 2009, 01:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>is the boat in the water ? and you will need a set of allen wrenches

i can pull it out on the trailer, and i have some allen wrenches, metric and standard......

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Sman's link covered it. It's not that tough. If you can handle a wrench and typical minor repairs, you can do it in a couple of hours. You'll need some basic tools but nothing specialized.

I always put a little grease on the impeller so that when it first starts up it doesn't wear too much. Also, make sure you get hte impeller vanes bent the same way as the old one or you'll have problems. The vanes will have a twist to them (rubber impeller) once installed and if they're twisted the wrong way it won't work right. I also put a touch of grease where the tube goes in at the top and the bottom.

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
Just a few rambling points....

Are you going to leave the upper half in place? If so, putting it back together it is very helpful to have another set of hands.

When I've done it, I found it was helpful to tie the output shaft so as to keep it locked in forward.

Depending on your boat and trailer, it also seems to work fairly well to have the lower sitting on a floor jack. Makes it easy to roll forward/back, and raise/lower as needed. I can put the whole thing on myself like this, but assembling the halves in place, two people really helps!

Have you greased your u-joints lately? What about checking engine alinement?

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
QUOTE(Away Point @ Jun 17 2009, 08:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just a few rambling points....

Are you going to leave the upper half in place? If so, putting it back together it is very helpful to have another set of hands.

When I've done it, I found it was helpful to tie the output shaft so as to keep it locked in forward.

Depending on your boat and trailer, it also seems to work fairly well to have the lower sitting on a floor jack. Makes it easy to roll forward/back, and raise/lower as needed. I can put the whole thing on myself like this, but assembling the halves in place, two people really helps!

Have you greased your u-joints lately? What about checking engine alinement?

I think he's only breaking down the lower unit in half to do the impellor but those are good sugestions when pulling the whole drive. I have mine done every two years and found out 3 years is max on impellor when travelling alot in shallow sandy water.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
I'm on season 3 in mine, and i've noticed a slight drop in water pressure. I might have to swap mine mid-season. I think every 2 years is good rule of thumb in LSC.

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok, didnt do the impeller replacement, what had me worried was that the temp guage was reading very very hot

but i traced it down to loose leads coming off the sensors on the engine, i pinched them and reattached them and the temp seems to be reading normal

ill wait til next year for the impeller work

1 - 11 of 11 Posts