Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an important announcement to make that will affect some of you, and will most likely not be a very popular decision, but one we felt had to be made.

We the administrators of the LSCN came to a conclusion regarding the use of links and advertising messages being used in member's signatures. Because this site is solely dependant on advertising dollars to survive, we have decided to no longer allow any member to link to or promote another business in their signature unless they are a paying sponsor of LSCN.

In the past, this has lead to some controversy over who is allowed to get away with this and who is not. To make this fair to everyone, we ask that all members comply with this request and hope that everyone understands why the decision had to be made.

Of course, we can't expect everyone to see this message right away and immediately update their signatures in question, so we will give this matter a few days to rectify itself, after which, we will notify individuals via PM to remind them.

Please understand that this decision was made after much thought and deliberation and we feel it is what is in the best interest of the LSCN. If anyone wishes to take this matter off-line, please contact any one of the LSCN admins, (Myself, Capt'n Rob, Capt'n Mike or Capt'n Chris via e-mail or PM.

Thank you for your continued support of The Lake St. Clair Network.

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
no problems here, mongo!

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(surfergirlck @ Oct 9 2003, 01:27 PM)no problems here, mongo!

You mean WALL ACTION isn't an advertisement?

Does the hidden link in my sig count?

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
SnowPuff is promoting Pop Tarts in his signature!

I understand and hope to be one of the paying sponsors one day!
Completely understand as I am sure others will, too. It's a tough job but somebody has to do it.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Makes sense to me. Advertising in a signature is getting something for free that others have to pay for. I guess if someone donates alot of time to the site as a moderator and you see value in that, you may want to reward them with the right to include icons in their signature, but then what do you do for moderators who have nothing to promote?

Although I don't know that it matters much - I wouldn't be drawn to use a particular rod or boat just because someone is on the payroll or sponsored by a company. Sponsorship has nothing to do with product quality or suitability for me - it rarely means the person being sponsored thinks it is best of class. Usually, it's just what they were able to get. Mentioning a self-employed business in a signature or avatar might be effective.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Can I still advocate the violent overthrow of the present system of government?!?!?!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Can you add "paid- for advertising signatures" for those who want them? Like a mini ad for our post signatures. I don't even know how much an ad is on the side bar but I assumed it's out of my budget range. Perhaps someone could PM me that info?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
QUOTE(pirlgirl @ Oct 9 2003, 04:49 PM)Can you add "paid- for advertising signatures" for those who want them? Like a mini ad for our post signatures......
what a good idea! Is this something you can consider captains?

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
QUOTE(pirlgirl @ Oct 9 2003, 04:49 PM)Can you add "paid- for advertising signatures" for those who want them? Like a mini ad for our post signatures. I don't even know how much an ad is on the side bar but I assumed it's out of my budget range. Perhaps someone could PM me that info?
Good idea.....

Have a question on top of that...What if someone bought a ad for the right side of this page, would that include the privilege of putting a link in your signature or would these be two separate fees?

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
We will discuss the idea of selling "signature ad space." The way we have it now, if you buy an ad anywhere on the site, that's the only time you can plug your business in your signature.

My concern is that newbies may not understand that these are paying sponsors and may then add their business to their sig.

I think what we will do though is indicate that a member is a sponsor by noting that next to their avatar. Hopefully that eliminates confusion for the newbies and eliminates us having to police that. If it becomes a consistent problem though, the business plugs in the signatures will have to go, even for the sponsors.

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(Capt'n Mike @ Oct 9 2003, 09:01 PM)We will discuss the idea of selling "signature ad space."
I bet mine would go for a lot then. ($$)

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
QUOTE(Snowmaker @ Oct 9 2003, 09:08 PM)QUOTE(Capt'n Mike @ Oct 9 2003, 09:01 PM) We will discuss the idea of selling "signature ad space."

I'm not sure if 'Ho'ing out' your signature will be part of the dicsussion! <_<

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(Capt'n Mike @ Oct 9 2003, 10:01 PM)QUOTE(Snowmaker @ Oct 9 2003, 09:08 PM) QUOTE(Capt'n Mike @ Oct 9 2003, 09:01 PM) We will discuss the idea of selling "signature ad space."

I'm not sure if 'Ho'ing out' your signature will be part of the dicsussion!

What's the difference between "ho'ing" it and selling it?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts