Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First and formost, this is a long, bitc*ing email about marine service. I am not saying who the problem is with as I hope to yet resolve this, but with the track record so far, I need someone in the know it point me in the next direction or offer some consoling words of wisdom. Thanks again.

Here's the deal,
while in storage over the winter I had a transom reseal done (beginning of April) as the boots had a few small cracks starting in them. The boat was put in the water on April 17 and we went to get her that night. I discovered that the port side, thumb-toggle switch to raise the stern drive was not operating. I have to raise it about 15 degrees with the trailering button before it will kick in and then it will work fine. I found out that the sensor on the drive was put in 180 degrees off when they put the drives back on after the reseal. So I called them that night, april 17 and left a message on the answering machine regarding the problem. I called them again on monday the 19th of april and talked to one of the managers. After not hearing back anything I called again nearly 2 weeks later and left a message. I could not get a phone call back and so I went back in person at the end of May. I met up with the owner. I was told the person handling the problem walked out and quit near the end of april and they had no idea there was any problem. So much for talking to the manager (who was still there) and phone messages on the main line. He said that someone would be out there to fix it the beginning of the next week. Well, two weeks later and no one had come out so after two more messages with no return calls, I went back up in person and was told that someone would be there in 2 days to take care of it. I went back 4 days later and found the side canvas undone on the boat, but no repair was made. Went back to the owner and told him and he said he was to be out the next day (this past tuesday) to fix it. He was "going to jump thewires and rig it" so that there was no limits on the lift and I would not have to worry about the trailering buttons at all. I told him great as I had a 2 day trip down the detroit river after the fireworks on wednesday and wanted it fixed before then. He said no problem. Got to the boat wednesday night for the fireworks and still no work had been done. I called and got the owner, who said they didnt do it because they were also working on another boat in the same marina and the parts for THAT boat had not come in so he didnt want to waste a trip just to fix mine. Reminding him that I was leaving for a trip, he said he would call me back in 10 mins with a solution. I called him back 45 mins later and left a message (he went home) and told him to forget about anything that night and that I had canceled my plans after the fireworks and that the boat would be there at 8:30am thursday morning to be fixed as he had stated was the time he was going to do it. I also said that I wanted nothing "rigged" and that it was to be repaired properly. I also asked him again to call me if there were any problems or it was not done. I just came back from the boat this afternoon and you will never guess what --- yep, you guessed it, its STILL NOT FIXED.
I left a rather harsh message on the voice mail as I am pretty much feed-up with this.

I have gone all out to contact him and get this resolved but I have got nothing but excusses and the run around. I have put off a family boat trip to accomadate his schedule and for the third promise from the owner, I have been let down. I have repeatedly offered to bring the boat up to his marina if it had to be hauled to fix it properly (at no expense to me and as his schedule adn work load permitted) and he has not even commented on this as a possibility. What was originally suppose to be a $900.00 job has run me over $3000.00 in incidentals and such and he has already been paid in full.

What am I too do? I dont know were to turn.

·
LSC Raft Moderator
1,472 Posts
Jim, Bring it by Sundog and I will pull the boat. I can fix in in the slings and get you back in the water in about 30 min. I can't do it for free cause we have to pull the boat but you can take the bill across the river and drop it off.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the offer. I may just do that if I dont hear from him on monday.

Also, can you give me an estimate on the cost to have the port engine iginition (at the key) replaced? The "other" place was suppose to do as compensation for all the hassle I have gotten.

Also an estimate of changing over the head from the port-o-pottie that is in there to a more suitable head and larger holding tank. The "other" place has been promising me the estimate since late feb. and I still havent seen an ink drop on the paper.

·
LSC Raft Moderator
1,472 Posts
QUOTE(PyrateJim @ Jun 27 2004, 12:39 AM)Thanks for the offer. I may just do that if I dont hear from him on monday.

Also, can you give me an estimate on the cost to have the port engine iginition (at the key) replaced? The "other" place was suppose to do as compensation for all the hassle I have gotten.

Also an estimate of changing over the head from the port-o-pottie that is in there to a more suitable head and larger holding tank. The "other" place has been promising me the estimate since late feb. and I still havent seen an ink drop on the paper.
Lets talk on Monday, To drunk to think right now

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds. I'll stop by Sundog as I need to run over to the boat in the am anyway. Really curious if I am going to get a phone call or not. I have my money on ..... NOT

·
Registered
206 Posts
When everything is settled I would send a detailed letter to the Better Business Bureau in the city where this jerk does business. May even take them to small claims for a cost of$50.00 if you have actual dollor loss as a result of the problem. My .02.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Great8 for the suggestions. A letter is definately in the making. Not only to the BBB, but to the website of which this company is a sponser.

As for the financial loses, so far nothing has happened to the boat due to negligance in fixing these things. The money increase came from giving me a quote for one price, then realizing the boat (that was in their yard, that they had shrinkwrapped, that they had been on) had twin engines and not a single, so as they were doing the work, they did give me a call to tell me the price would be doubles. Then there is the phone message the secretary failed to give them that told them not to do some work onthe boat, so they did it anyway and still charged me (after her admittance of error). Then there is the crack in the fiberglass that appeared after they moved the boat, yet I had to pay to get fixed.

After talking to to other marina's, I am finding out that I am not the only one with the concern's. And I am not even mentioning names, but am being told to stay away from them.

So Sad as the owner has a lot going for him and really is a nice guy. It;s just the professionalism of the business as a whole.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
PJ,
Best of luck with the issues.
Can you at least mention the city that the marina is in, so maybe it will eliminate some peeps worries?
I sure would not want to take my boat there...

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Harrison Twp. on the Clinton River.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I just called and spoke to the owner. He will be fixing the boat by 2pm this afternoon and I will be on deck to greet him with open arms.

Sure would be nice to put an end to this.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
GREAT NEWS!!!!!

The new ignition switch was installed today as promised and I will be taking the boat to the shop at 10 a.m. tuesday morning for it to be hoisted and the sensor/puck properly positioned. I also hear I will be getting my quote on the head upgrade.

Also gots lots of apologies and understandings from teh gentleman that came out today.

It took way too long, but it is finally working out to my satisfaction.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got the boat to the marina this moring at 10am and was out of there by 10:50am. Got everything working fine and was pleased at how the timing went. SHe is were I have been trying to get here and I am happy and grateful. No harsh words were spoken and everyone was polite, and even friendly.

Other than the time frame involved, I am still pleased with the marina, just dont want to go through this again with the next line of repairs or upgrades ..........whenever that is.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts