Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is for any beginner (like myself) anglers thinking of buying a nice fishing rod: DO IT! I've been bass fishing with a 6 foot Ugly Stick for the last 2 years. Didn't want to spend a lot of money, and I figued a rod is a rod, right? I didn't understand why people paid $200 + dollars on a fishing rod, they all catch fish!! Taking a cue from some of my co-workers and avid fishermen, I asked my wife to get me a new rod for my birthday. What I got was some cash and free rein on buying a new rod. I did a lot of research and bought a St. Croix Legendary Tournament Bass Rod. 7' Long, Medium Power, Fast action, cut out cork grip handle. Everyone told me I would be amazed at how much MORE you can feel, which will lead to more hook sets. I honestly thought they were full of sh*t, but they aren't. It doesn't catch fish for you, but it sure the hell gives you more feel of what's happening at the other end so you can set your hook appropriately. At first I was setting everything. Weeds, drags, rocks, etc. I couldn't tell what I was feeling at first. At least until I caught the first few fish, now I know what I'm feeling. I swear to all that is holy I can feel the fish bump, nibble, and vacuum the tube up before I set the hook. Maybe I just want it to be a nice rod, but either way it is awesome. I'm casting further and more accurate as well with a much stiffer spline. Love the new rod, would recommend one to anybody. Good luck out there guys, can't wait to pop the cherry on my new rod on LSC!! I also included a link to one review of the rod, incase any one is looking for a new one as well.

http://basstardfishing.com/st_croix_legend...ent_review.html

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(bowtiehater28 @ Aug 14 2009, 10:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I too love my ugly stik. I just got it this year and it is nice I always just bought a rod and reel combo but meijers had a sale when it was time to renew the license and I'll never get any other type of rod from now on. Unless I find one like the one in the review at a decent price. But that is a nice looking rod.

I didn't mean my Ugly Stick was a piece of junk, I've caught just under 100 fish on it this year on LSC alone. My Legend is just much more accurate, casts further and is WAY more sensitive to fish strikes, bumps, etc. I would still probably be happy with my Ugly if I had never tried this rod out. But man, once I had a couple fish on and was comfortable with the action, I will never fish a cheaper rod again. And yeah, it's beautiful, thanks. Cobalt blue with metallic flakes. If you can find a good deal on a good rod, you won't be disappointed with the results guys. Keep on fishin!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE(todd08 @ Aug 14 2009, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>now put some crystal fireline on it, 6-8lb., talk about feeling anything..!!

I bought some Berkley Transition Fluoro, 6lb, that I am using now. Never used fireline though, is it that much better than what I'm using now? Also, is that a braided line?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(todd08 @ Aug 14 2009, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>now put some crystal fireline on it, 6-8lb., talk about feeling anything..!!

It was actually funny too because my two buddies were fishing with me on Lake Fenton the second day I went out. We were all throwing 1/4 tube jigs with 3.5" Coffe Tubes. I left the water with 11 fish (all bass) and they left with 3 between the 2 of them. I'm not saying the new rod and line were the reason, but I definately was able to sense fish activity and set hooks I previously would have been unable to feel.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE(jeffff @ Aug 15 2009, 12:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I agree, Zak. There's nothing like nice stuff. You really do get what you pay for. Enjoy it!

Thanks Jeff, I couldn't agree more. I am VERY happy I made the decision to get a nicer rod. I plan on enjoying it as much as possible! Even on the little local lakes for me. I'm an hour and 15 minutes away from LSC, so it's not always possible for me to make the trek. But I can't wait until I do. Tight lines Jeffff.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE(---FISHON--- @ Aug 15 2009, 01:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have 7 St. Croixs total and I wouldnt trade them for anything. I made the mistake of buying 1 and then of course my lightning rods and ugly sticks ended up getting donated and I replaced my whole rod collection. I have 4 casting and 3 spinning setups and love every single one of them. Next comes the boat upgrade woooohoooo lol. Anyone know an outboard mechanic looking for some work? Blew a head gasket. Cant wait until 2011. 621 Ranger with 300vrod. Cant wait.

Nice brother!! Yeah, I can see how you love yours too. Now granted this is my first nice rod, but man am I happy I got it. Good luck on the boat upgrade in 2011, plent of fish between now and then!! Sounds like an awesome boat BTW.

Zak

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE(---FISHON--- @ Aug 15 2009, 01:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have 7 St. Croixs total and I wouldnt trade them for anything. I made the mistake of buying 1 and then of course my lightning rods and ugly sticks ended up getting donated and I replaced my whole rod collection. I have 4 casting and 3 spinning setups and love every single one of them. Next comes the boat upgrade woooohoooo lol. Anyone know an outboard mechanic looking for some work? Blew a head gasket. Cant wait until 2011. 621 Ranger with 300vrod. Cant wait.

On a side note, I was cruising your profile, nice pig you caught recently. Fat as hell!!! Nice work. Would love the catch one like that some day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.