Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone has heard of incidental Salmon taken in the lake this time of year. I know the Clinton river gets an annual run, so they have to make their way through the mouth at some point. Anyone ever hook-up with one around the river mouth?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Haven't heard of any this year but two years back my best friend was drifting in front of Selfridge about 1 mile out dragging crawler harnesses and ended up with a 22 inch salmon. Other than that I have heard of no one else catching any.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I haven't heard of any caught at this time of year other than in the river, even though they must be traveling through the area to get to the river. However, I know of several salmon being hooked, and some even landed, through the ice from the 400 Club north to Salt River. I've even caught a few steelhead through the ice out from Fairhaven.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I've caught 2 steelhead and 3 salmon over the years around the various St. Clair channels, mouths and out in the lake. The biggest was out from the North Channel near Grassy Island years ago - about 14 pounds - on a stingray grub I was dropping through a big school of white bass. I thought I had the Mother of all White Bass on...

This spring, cameraguy (I think it was him, but spring was a long time ago) caught a tiny salmon off the Mile Roads about 11 feet deep near 11 Mile while we were out limbering up.

·
Registered
82 Posts
wasnt a salmon, but

caught a nice steely(20 inches) in front of 400 club 2-3 miles out a while back(years ago)-it was middle of the summer

·
Registered
262 Posts
A friend of mine caught a few steelhead jigging between Grassy and the North Channel this past April.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I believe it was September 28th this year. My partner Louie caught a King Salmon that weighed in at over 9 pounds during a tournament. It came off of one of my late season smallmouth spots out in the lake off of Strawberry Island. Eleven feet of water on an Xtreme Bass Tackle St. Clair Goby 5" tube. We thought he had hooked the biggest smallie in the lake for a while. Luckily he had a salmon stamp and took home dinner. This fish was caught just after that first extended cold period that dropped the water temperature in the lake by more than ten degrees.

Regards,

Dave

P.S. - The St. Clair Goby catches everything!

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
My professional salmon career includes 2 salmon I caught on the south shore. Both on rattle traps in the shallows, mixed in with the smallies.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
My tournament partner caught a 15lb King off the MamaJuda marker in the Detroit River a couple of "July's" ago during a GNT tournament....draggin' a tube!! LOL...pretty cool.....we both thought he had the Mother of all smallies on for a couple minutes!! Unreal!!

Mac

·
Registered
533 Posts
Last fall, I caught a 6# lake trout in front of the firecracker on a green tube. The DNR guy I showed it to said that it had been many years since he heard of one caught in the lake itself.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Great replies. Those stories always interest me. I guess not knowing what is down there is part of the fun. The ones that really hurt are the ones you fight and fight, but break-off before you get a glimpse. That's happened to me more than a few times.

BTW, last night I heard a rumor that someone fishing off the coast guard station in St Clair Shores caught a big steelhead yesterday. I heard 17 lbs?!?!?!

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
We caught a lake trout in the Detroit River a couple of years ago near Wyandotte.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(Pikeslime @ Oct 23 2003, 03:47 PM)Great replies. Those stories always interest me. I guess not knowing what is down there is part of the fun. The ones that really hurt are the ones you fight and fight, but break-off before you get a glimpse. That's happened to me more than a few times.

BTW, last night I heard a rumor that someone fishing off the coast guard station in St Clair Shores caught a big steelhead yesterday. I heard 17 lbs?!?!?!
I heard about a few being caught there while walleye fishing.

Mini

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes.

Jimmy Doughtery caught a 20 lb king back in the early 90's

He caught it on one of his lures.

My father and I caught a 15lb steelhead back in the late 80's. Caught him on a Bruno pikie minnow. We were trolling for muskies at the firecracker. The rod went off and when I grabbed it I told my dad this doesnt feel like a muskie and then the steelie started tail walking.

He is on the wall now.

Havent caught one since.

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
I have landed several over the years by Grassy at the North Channel mouth. Most on Red Eyes casting. The best was a 22 pound King in the middle of September a couple of years ago.
Bob

1 - 16 of 16 Posts