Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has been up to Mullet or Burt lake. It looks like there is a lock in Cheboygan so getting out to Lake Huron may be trickey if one were to launch on Mullet or Burt lake.

I'd like any opinions people have on the area.

Thanks!!

tg.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Indian River is very seenic. been by small boat and canoe

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
QUOTE(bobrob @ Jul 7 2009, 11:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Indian River is very seenic. been by small boat and canoe

I've been going to the area for over 30 years. Burt and Mullet are very nice lakes. Deep clean and clear. Cruising the Indian River is enjoyable and can be done with large boats. Going through the Black river to Huron takes a while but is actually easy to navigate.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
It's a nice trip, I've done it a number of times. Yes, there is a lock on the Cheboygan River. They pack the boats in there on weekends, so make sure you have fenders out. It's a nice ride out to Mackinac from there.

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
There shouldn't be any problem with the locks unless you have a 100' boat or bigger. It's pretty sweet going through. We did the trip before in a 27' boat. All around, it's a good time. One suggestion, get a couple water cannons for the Indian River. It's a long, hot ride and other boaters like to "cool" passer-bys off.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
We have been up that way a time or two!

Here are a few pics

Inside the lock-

Going in and dropping in the lock-

The old Rail bridge, now a snowmobile trail bridge, located about halfway between Mullet and Cheboygan-

Indian river with I75 in the background-

Cheboygan river just after the Hackamatack-

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
QUOTE(270 Crown @ Jul 8 2009, 07:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It's a nice trip, I've done it a number of times. Yes, there is a lock on the Cheboygan River. They pack the boats in there on weekends, so make sure you have fenders out. It's a nice ride out to Mackinac from there.

And if you feel adventerous, head over to hessel and hit the islander for a burger and a ginger ale! The venture through Les Cheneaux!

·
Registered
148 Posts
My wife is from there, I have spent many weekends there. It's a good time... The locks are no big deal. Like someone else said, where your bathing suit while crusing the river, you will get wet. The Best Western in Cheboygan is right on the river and they have a long dock you can tie up your boat at night as long as your staying there. Need to make reservations for the weekends though, they fill up. The just redid the hotel, it's nice, clean and a nice pool and hot tub. Good lick.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
QUOTE(sunsation98 @ Jul 8 2009, 07:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>And if you feel adventerous, head over to hessel and hit the islander for a burger and a ginger ale! The venture through Les Cheneaux!

Good call! I haven't been there by boat in about 5 years, but I was there last winter on my snowmobile.

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
Cool photos!

·
Registered
293 Posts
I live there, well, in Cheboygan. The better half's family has been vacationing here sine 1958. We had vacationed here for about 15 years before moving up here. Locks a cinch. You'll need a "water blaster" if you take the Inland. Water fights between boats is the rule.

I don't remember when the Top'o'Michigan boat race is, but they close the waterway for that. End of July I believe.

If you want, you can drop the hook at Burt Lake State Park and spend the night. There is a small bridge in Indian River that give you foot access to town. A nice restaurant/bar there. And near the Irons at the mouth of Indian River and Burt, there be some mighty neat old "woodies" in the boat houses. And the beach and city park is right there also.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
We are going up there Thurs thru Sunday , prior to boating on lake st Clair I kept mt boat up there for 8 years, as for the lock , its very easy, and I think it costs $7 for both ways , there is also a very small lock as you head towards crooked and pickeral lake that coat I believe is $4 there are many sights and Its some great boating .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts