Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Can anyone recommend decent and inexpensive boat insurance? Thanks.

Addendum: I am in process of getting a Wellcraft Gran Sport 34' probably any where between 1988 and 1991. I am looking at a'91 tonight and I would like to get an idea of what insurance would cost.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I use Schatz Insurance Agency and have a policy underwritten by Markel. It was several hundred less expensive than BoatUS. If you want to get a quote from them their number is 734-421-1515. Ask for Jackie or Vern.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I use:

Richmond Insurance. The owner is a local guy who is also into boating.
Call Dave Dudek at 586-727-7511

·
12,052 Posts
Cheap and Boat don't go in the same sentence.

·
Registered
75 Posts
according to marianna mullins at allstate ..
a good driving record
a good marine survey
and a good credit score
call her at 586 948-1470 for a quote
tell her capt. stevo sent ya!

·
Registered
75 Posts
boat us you get what you pay for
i have had customers with them, when they made a claim boat us depreciated it down so much it was ridiculous and then the check always seems to take a month or so
allstate, aaa, state farm, were always quick to take care of
there customers, most the time it was paid within a day or two!

G

·
QUOTE(captstevo @ Mar 3 2004, 05:51 PM)boat us you get what you pay for
i have had customers with them, when they made a claim boat us depreciated it down so much it was ridiculous and then the check always seems to take a month or so
allstate, aaa, state farm, were always quick to take care of
there customers, most the time it was paid within a day or two!
Captstevo, you posted exactly what I went thru with Boatus (
) and Allstate (
).

·
Registered
991 Posts
I have heard the same thing about Boat US insurance, hard to get a fair claim, plus they wanted 2800 a year to insure the Dominator and State Farm is at 780 for 56000 coverage.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Wow...I have Allstate and was going to change to BoatUS this May. Maybe I should stick to Allstate then.

My only concern is that Allstate doesnt pay...little if any...for salvage or tow. Im just afraid one of these days something bad is going to happen and we will get stuck with this huge bill. Would you recommend buying just the membership and towing service from BoatUS?

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
We have ours through St. Paul's. They are nearly $400.00 a year cheaper than BoatUS. Not only that, St. Pauls insures for purchase/payoff price as long as it is within normal range for the vessel. BoatUS refused to do that and would only insure for "agreed hull value" (agreed with whom I'll never know) which was several THOUSAND DOLLARS less than payoff.

I do have the full towing package with BoatUS through my membership ($100.00) a year and combining that with what you get from St Paul, I am happily covered all the way around.

·
12,052 Posts
QUOTE(Bill272 @ Mar 3 2004, 05:11 PM)I've got Allstate. I had BoatUS and it was fine until I actually had to make a claim.
I had two claims with Boat US years ago. Outdrive and stuck in the mud=broken coupler. Check right away, no problem. Ron at Dynamic said they were always good to him.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I also have my boat insured with Markel Marine through Schatz Insurance Agency. They got me the best price with the best coverage out of all of them. I would give them a call. It's good to shop around. I pay $631.00 for my 37' boat. Their toll free number is 1-888-421-1516.

·
Premium Member
21,452 Posts
I used Boat US for 5 years, made two claims, one was for a damaged prop and the other was for a break in last year. Never had problems getting the money...........BUT...........when I called them to change my info for the new boat, they wouldn't accept my application because I had claims in the past!

I switched to Fritsch-Kinney Yacht Insurance, they quoted me the best price.

·
Registered
75 Posts
i do a lot of insurance work, dealt with a lot of adjusters...
mostly underwater damage, props,shafts,outdrives, and hull damage... in comparison boat u.s. has been slow to pay
i know some marinas that make the customer pay up front
if they are insurered with boat u.s.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Boat US is not a insurance company. They just write the policy via a insurance company. When I was with them the actiual insurer was Buckeye Insurance Co.

ed

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
QUOTE(hammer @ Mar 3 2004, 05:02 PM)Cheap and Boat don't go in the same sentence.

was thinking the same thing!!!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts