Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone on here have any experience using this type of training for their children? I saw it on Fox 2 this morning. It seems pretty interesting, especially being boaters and on the water as much as we are. It teaches 6 month and up to save themselves if they fall in the water. I would like to hear some feedback if you have. It is not cheap but well worth it if it can save a child's life, thanks.

http://www.infantswim.com/home.html

·
Registered
44 Posts
I saw it on Fox 2 last night also. Both of my girls went through the Infant Swim Resource (ISR) program and it really works. My wife found and researched the ISR program a few years ago. They sent us an educational packet that contained a video of an unattended child falling into a pool (see the youtube link below). The child was less than 2 years old and he was able to float on his back for an unbelievably long period of time before he was removed from the pool. Drowning is the #1 cause of death for children under the age of 5 in 18 states.

The ISR program was founded by Dr. Harvey Barnett over 40 years ago. He was a college aged lifeguard that witnessed the drowning death of his neighbor in the drainage ditch in the front yard of their house. He went on to become a psychologist and he fine tuned the ISR techniques using his human behavior knowledge.

ISR is not traditional swim lessons. It is water survival techniques that are taught to be instinctive, so that the infant or toddler knows how to survive until they can be rescued (or until they can get out the water themselves).

ISR has taught self rescue skills to over 175,000 infants and toddlers. ISR has delivered more than 7 million lessons with a 100% safety record and survival rate. Of the 175,000 trained infants and toddlers, there are 788 documented cases of child saving themselves using the ISR techniques.

As for the ISR program itself, my girls did 15 minutes a day for 2 weeks at the instructors house. They were aged 3 and 4 when they started. They then went on to do 1 week refresher courses at the end of the season and the beginning of the next season. They are now 6 and 5 and they just completed two weeks of traditional swim lessons. The major difference is ISR teaches survival and swim lessons teach traditional swimming (back stroke, butterfly, diving, etc.).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts