Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner

Infants on board

1K views 21 replies 18 participants last post by  ThreeCrabs 
#1 ·
It's been a tough summer for us. It's looking like our second boy will be born the last week of July... A few weeks earlier than we expected, but hey', that's ok, right?!

Question for our boating friends...

What age of child is safe to take onto the boat? Our first son was born 6 months before boating season (plus we didn't have our own boat back then) so we had no idea of how an infant "took to the water".

Now that the new "Little Guy" (unofficial title) will be here in about 2-3 weeks
!!!!!!! I'm just wondering do we have ANY chance of boating this season???

The boat's still in the driveway without having her engine flushed, plugs changed, oil changed, etc...

It all came down at a bad time, so we never fully "got to work" on our boat. And frankly, I'm more concerned with my new little Campari than much else (one reason why we've been noticeably absent at many LSCN gigs!).

So any helpfrom the Peeps would be great!!!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Take care of your Wife and the rest will be Ok!!!
The Boat will always be there......Family is the
most important now!!!! Evaluate boating after
the Birth!!!!

God Bless and Take Care!!!!

The XO's

#4 ·
Long time listener, first time caller so I hope I am doing this right. We had our son out last year at about 7 weeks old. He was born in March and we took him on his first boat ride in May. He also attended the Tiki Bar opening at Jack's. Keep the life jacket on and they fall right to sleep with the rocking and noise. When they are that little it is the easiest time to boat - they stay right where you put them.
Good Luck!

#6 ·
Baby floating suits

If it's a boy, I remember seeing this in blue

Old LSCN thread on it

Another thread on it

Don't forget the water spray bottle to cool the little one. Under 6 months they can't wear sunblock (least that I know of) so white t-shirts and a infant hat (I have a white one you can have, let me know. Otherwise it's going to Salvation Army) that protects the front and back of their little head.

If your wife and baby are uncomfortable, you can always go back in

So, little Camp will be here soon!!!! Cool! From your post I'm gathering you are having another boy? Hope it's a fast, safe delivery. Post baby pics!!

#10 ·
There are reasons that they make those cute sailing suits for youngsters. I'm all for taking the kids out as early as possible. It's the best way to get them to sleep! Also, once they are able to see what is going on, the more fascinated they will be. Just use your best judgement and god bless

#13 ·
My best piece of advice for babies (no matter the question): Do what works for you (within reason, without compromising anyone's safety, etc.).

If your wife is usually the dock hand, knot-tier, bumper-getter, bring someone else along to take over her duties. She's going to be busy. She could consider wearing the baby in a snugli or other carrier. Try putting him in the car carrier (with the PFD on him). It will be bulky, but he'll have a place to sleep and still watch what's going on. Keep him cool and out of the sun and enjoy!

#16 ·
Julie was born in April (AFTER the boat was launched) and was out with us in May. Michael was born in December, so he had a little more time. I just strap their little seat in, cover them up & go! They've been hooked ever since!

As mentioned earlier, I think that Mom will be the person you need to keep comfortable . . .

#17 ·
QUOTE(threecrabs @ Jul 8 2004, 09:54 AM)In blue and yellow!
And you can get Big Bro Camp a cool, hooded towel!!

Very cool Carbs!!! Thanks!

I like the Baby Life Vest and they have one in Winnie The Pooh so it'll be a done deal once the Mrs. sees it.

Thanks to everyone. I had planned on boating the entire season, with the baby coming in August but I guess there's a reaosn why we never got the boat fully ready.

And I see everyone's point; Mom is gonna be the one that'll need to be comfortable!

Thanks guys.

#18 ·
Taxman and I took his 1 year old nephew on his first boat ride. Both patents were there and 1 hour was sufficient. It might have been over on hour close to 2.

#19 ·
Fon't forget the "suitcase" that you have to drag with you.
Packed with diapers
pasifires
baby wipes
bottles
formula
food
bib change of clothes
toys
life preservers
blankets
baby sun block
hat...
blah, blah blaaa

#21 ·
QUOTE(XO @ Jul 7 2004, 10:20 PM)Take care of your Wife and the rest will be Ok!!!
The Boat will always be there......Family is the
most important now!!!! Evaluate boating after
the Birth!!!!

God Bless and Take Care!!!!

The XO's
Scottie you rule!!! What great advice.

#22 · (Edited by Moderator)
QUOTE(Campari @ Jul 8 2004, 08:08 PM)I like the Baby Life Vest and they have one in Winnie The Pooh so it'll be a done deal once the Mrs. sees it.
I have just about every single Winnie the Pooh VHS...My oldest was a Pooh-Baah freak! You are welcome to them, as well.

And...this is funny.....Rich (aka 3crabs) said today, "Campari's are expecting??? No wonder the Mrs. had such a rosy glow last time we saw her."
He can spot a prego-woman 50 miles away!

Mmmmmm....babies, so sweet and cuddly.

And, check the water conditions before departing

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.