Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
LSCN Sponsor since March 2010
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here's the deal, and this post is more for the inexperienced anglers new to bass fishing I'm sure most of you know this already. you can find bass at 9 mile, mile roads, selfridge, most anywhere on the lake now that they are schooled up and cruising looking for food. There will still be bass hanging out in weedbeds or rocky areas where they feed on crayfish or anywhere a school of small perch are hanging out. With the bass in cruise for food mode they are not right on the bottom but nearer the surface so dragging tubes or other bottom baits will not be as effective as they were in spring. It is known that a bass will come up for a lure more often than they will go down for one after all their eyes are in the top of their heads and they are usually looking up anyway. A bass will rise up from 20 fow or deeper to hit a topwater on the surface I know I have experienced it so why spend most of your time probing the bottom? Bass will use a break line, weedline, and channels like a roadway to navigate around the lake and they will just suspend out in open water with no structure around so long as there is a food source close by. No matter where you launch from my advise would be to find a weedline or a breakline, you can find breaklines and areas of weeds all the way out to the shipping channel and make sure your in clearest water available. tie on a 3/8 to 1/2oz spinnerbait or a rattle trap or a jerk bait or if the water is calm enough tie on a topwater like a zara spook that you can work fast and crankbaits that run near the bottom that is good for bass hanging closer to the bottom so switch it up occasionally. Set your trolling motor on high and start power fishing covering as much water as possible and if you see birds diving into the water throw everything down crankup and move to that area and start power fishing again. Make sure you stop far enough back to make long cast as not to spook the fish with the boat or trolling motor. If you don't have a trolling motor set up to drift through your selected area. If you see a group of boats that appear to be on a school of perch fish around the perimeter of those boats. Vary your retreive speed slow to fast while jerking and snaping your rod tip to give the bait an erratic action that will draw strike if your fishing through a school of baitfish you need to do something to draw their attention away from the school or your lure just becomes another minnow in the pack. Never forget about the shallows find weed patchs or rocky areas and work them over you might get a good surprise from a big loner just hanging out waiting for a meal. Don't worry about water temp until the surface temps gets up in the 80's then look for the coolest water available which will be where water flows into the lake. Invest in some marker buoys when you come across a patch of weeds, a hump or a sudden change in depth toss it out and mark it then fish around that spot. You can use several marker to "map out" a weed or break line contour by spacing then out along the line using your fish finder then backing off and fishing out to the markers. Don't waste time fishing one area hoping for something to happen. Give the spot a fair chance a school of bass may pass through then move you can always come back later and see if the fish are there yet. If you do not have confidence in your bait or the area your fishing make a change immediately. I think this is enough to give any novice angler a successful outing...hopefully. Please add to this as you see fit I could keep going but I think I have provided enough information to get most started.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Very cool idea and great information Sir! I was out for a few hours this morning and had no luck, your point is right on about finding clear water, it's amazing how different in color and clarity and content this lake is from one spot to another.

What exactly is a "breakline"? I assume that to mean a more sudden or steep change in depth?

Rumor has it this is the toughest time to find smallies in LSC, but if you find them, you'll find good one or good numbers.

Thanks for the post, I'm sure many new LSC anglers will benefit from this.

·
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(superman @ Jul 9 2009, 03:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Very cool idea and great information Sir! I was out for a few hours this morning and had no luck, your point is right on about finding clear water, it's amazing how different in color and clarity and content this lake is from one spot to another.

What exactly is a "breakline"? I assume that to mean a more sudden or steep change in depth?

Rumor has it this is the toughest time to find smallies in LSC, but if you find them, you'll find good one or good numbers.

A breakline is anywhere the depth changes along the contour of the lake it can be a drastic change or a sloping change. Lets say you cruising along and your depth finder is reading 10ft then it starts reading 10.1 10.2 10.3 on out to 11ft on thats a sloping change you just found a breakline. Now your criuising at 11ft for a little while then you see 11.1 11.2 11.3 you just found another one. A more drastic break would read like 10.1 10.4 10.6 and so on a little steeper slope but still a break line. If it goes from 10ft to 20ft or deeper instantly you just found a dropoff like when you cut across a channel. Grass will grow where the change in depth starts in some areas thus giving you a weedline on a break.

·
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(Wally Ranger @ Jul 9 2009, 04:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Nice timing Tim. This old Walleye guy is taking my son out tonight for some basser's. I'll let you know how it goes.

Can't wait to hear how you guys did

·
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(TournamentReadyTackle @ Jul 9 2009, 04:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Best tutorial I've read all year!
Thanks I learned most of it right here on the forum and fishing with some great fisherman I met here and a lot by just fishing the lake. Back home in NC we don't have smallmouth I cut my fishing teeth on largemouth and was better than average at it since I have fished for LM bass from the day I was big enough to hold my own pole. When I moved up here and discovered SM bass I left the LM in the dust. I still go after them occasionally but mostly SM now. It took me a while to figure out how to fish the dish pan lakes up here. some of the lakes here are a lot different from lakes I fished back home and there I mostly fished small creeks and rivers. So fishing here was almost like learning to fish all over again as far as learning how to fish the bodies of water. I love it here and don't ever plan on moving away from Lake St. Clair.

·
Vendor
797 Posts
QUOTE(sirfishalot @ Jul 9 2009, 04:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Wally Ranger @ Jul 9 2009, 04:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Nice timing Tim. This old Walleye guy is taking my son out tonight for some basser's. I'll let you know how it goes.

Can't wait to hear how you guys did

Didn't find them tonight during our 2 hour hunt. Maybe next time. I have to get out a few more times in the next few weeks. My son that's home from college gave me the old "cats in the cradle" comment the other day. Yeah, sure dad, we'll go out fishing and golfing this year! Work has been hectic and I haven't been getting home in time so I committed two days a week until he goes back to UofM in a month, screw work! One for golf and one for fishing.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
QUOTE(superman @ Jul 9 2009, 03:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Very cool idea and great information Sir! I was out for a few hours this morning and had no luck, your point is right on about finding clear water, it's amazing how different in color and clarity and content this lake is from one spot to another.

Head towards the shipping channel in 15-17 FOW. Start in 15, and work towards 17. Use a drop shop rig with a plastic goby for bait. You will almost certainly start nailing them. Try different things if that doesn't work, but it appears that on LSC the normal summertime pattern has them in 15-17 FOW. Look for scattered weeds below, and/or structure. Good luck!

·
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE(stormchaser5399 @ Jul 10 2009, 12:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(superman @ Jul 9 2009, 03:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Very cool idea and great information Sir! I was out for a few hours this morning and had no luck, your point is right on about finding clear water, it's amazing how different in color and clarity and content this lake is from one spot to another.

Head towards the shipping channel in 15-17 FOW. Start in 15, and work towards 17. Use a drop shop rig with a plastic goby for bait. You will almost certainly start nailing them. Try different things if that doesn't work, but it appears that on LSC the normal summertime pattern has them in 15-17 FOW. Look for scattered weeds below, and/or structure. Good luck!

Thats some great advise also, nice tip.

·
Registered
49 Posts
im goin through the same thing right now, learning about fishing these sm. im from florida and large mouth is all i did. so just tryin to fish deeper water is new to me. but im gettin it. this post is helpfull nice job

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
The shipping channel tip is a great one, I will definitely try that - thanks! This post just keeps getting better

Hey Wally, golf? Really? lol I'm jk, I used to love to golf but then got bit by the LSC bug and really don't play at all now! Two days a week to fish LSC sounds awesome, golf just takes tooooo long!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts