Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My partners Triton took a big wave last year & a chunk of gel coat came off.The boat went down to Triton's shop & now they say they will not fix it.He received a letter stating you must have hit something & it's not insurable.Has this happened to anybody.What happens if we get busted up on big waves.

The boat was taken apart & i guess there are all kinds of air bubbles in the gel coat,they found a paint brush in the gel coat.Nice

·
Registered
91 Posts
Wow, thats a great sales pitch for Triton, we are enviromentally freindly we don't throw anything out we just leave it in your hull.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I am not sure I understand. You cant have a paint brush under the gelcoat without seeing it. I see alot of boats go back to the factory and triton is by far the most liberal. I dont run a triton or favor them. They are a very nice and very well built. If the damage was truly caused by a wave triton will cover the damge. If the damage is spider-cracked the boat struck something solid and will not be covered.

·
Registered
882 Posts
If it hit a wave so hard that it was like hitting something solid: Triton won't cover it.

From FLWoutdoors.com
"The 21-foot Triton powered by a 225 Mercury outboard sustained damage to its starboard side but remained afloat and upright."
"...a collision with a wave that caused damage to Strickland's vessel."

From ProBass.com
"It appears that Tony encountered one of those rouge waves that are always a threat on the Harris Chain. The drivers side center of the boat was heavily stress cracked and the cap was broken and separated from the hull. According to the BFL Representative at the hospital, Tony's partner told him that they were not traveling at a very high rate of speed. The damage showed a very powerful impact so we believe the wave was large and caught him off guard."

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
QUOTE(JCOOPER @ Mar 2 2004, 07:50 PM)I am not sure I understand. You cant have a paint brush under the gelcoat without seeing it. I see alot of boats go back to the factory and triton is by far the most liberal. I dont run a triton or favor them. They are a very nice and very well built. If the damage was truly caused by a wave triton will cover the damge. If the damage is spider-cracked the boat struck something solid and will not be covered.
Dave, I'm going to have to agree with JCOOP on this. Triton has been more than accomidating to me throughout the years. While I don't question the gelcoat story, I can't quite understand the "paint brush". I've been to the factory in Ashland,TN and never once saw a paint brush.

Please PM as I may be able to help. But need the full story.

·
Registered
294 Posts
While fishing a tournament on St. Clair in 1997, I hit a large wave on my way back to the weigh-in. I was coming back from The Mile Roads and was cut off by a 26-28 ft. cruiser from the left side. I was not running fast (way too rough) just fast enough to keep on plane, about 30 to 35 mph. The cruiser was running parallel to me and decided to speed up and cut in front of me. In the time I had to react, all I could do when I crossed his wake, was try to angle it and keep the bow up. When I landed, I busted the locks on my Gator Mount, bent the shaft on the trolling motor, and snapped one of the steering cables (when I landed, the boat was pointed in one direction, the motor in the other). As I turned into the launch at Selfridge, the other steering cable snapped. I managed to limp it to the dock and get it loaded.

The next day I contacted my insurance company (State Farm) and explained what happened. They told me to get an estimate to replace the trolling motor and steering cables. The dealer wrote an estimate for $1600.00, $1000.00 (parts & labor) to replace the trolling motor, and $600.00 (parts & labor) for the cables, and faxed it to the agent. They said it sounded reasonable and would send a check to me and the dealer for $1350.00 ($250.00 deductable). I told them that I could do it myself (faster) for less, $750.00 for the trolling motor and $250.00 for Dual No Feedback cables. The agent agreed to this and said that they would send me a check for $1250.00. He explained that even though I was doing the work, I should be paid for my labor which was the extra $250.00 plus the deductable that I would have paid. This was all handled by fax and phone. I've been lucky that this was the only claim I've had to file. I have no plans to change insurance, either.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I'm definitely not changing from State Farm. I can't believe they don't cancel me. A good insurance agent who understands the situation is critical.

A good boat company that builds a quality product they stand behind is critically important too. Knowing the companies rep is important.

We Great Lakes anglers are not the most popular guys with the bass boat companies. The Great Lakes are so brutal. Some of us probably drive too hard sometimes. Some of the companies are getting a little more selective in their decisions about Great Lakes boats, but if you have a good relationship with your dealer and maybe the companies rep, I think most companies will be fair.

Some insurance companies like State Farm will consider 'collision' with big waves an accident.

Knocking part of a boat off in waves takes a lot of force. Ouch.

I don't believe there are any bass boats with gelcoat and fiberglass thick enough to 'contain' a paint brush. I've seen boats made from scratch. It would have to be one tiny little brush. I don't think a paint brush is a normal boat-making tool either, but I've only gone all the way through one bass boat plant.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Been sitting on the side-lines for awhile but found something to respond to that irks me...insurance. State Farm is a great insurance company, but they have a 3 claims and you're out policy. I had 3 claims on my boat in 8 years and I was cancelled and my wife was my agent to boot. So the agent didn't help me much and yes, we are still married.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I keep asking them if they're going to cancel me, but so far... nothing yet.

I've been paying them premiums on something or other since I was 16.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Dave,

Don't know who your friend is working with on his Triton issue, but the response you got doesn't sound at all like Triton.

Here is a post I copied and pasted from the Triton page at BBC, posted on 6 Mar 2004...

"In a earlier post I reported on how I "cracked her good". Well, I picked up the 98TR21 from the local dealer on Monday and Triton factory far exceeded my expectations once again. I dropped the boat off at the factory Friday Feb.13 and Jeff went over the boat with me and marked every concern, crack, flaw I had. The hull had spider cracks on both sides dead center between the bow and transom. The port side had approx 21 vertical cracks starting just above the rub-rail and going up and over. Those cracks started just behind the minnkota and ended even with the seatback. It also had a crack around the lid of the cooler/step and just below the windshield. He then gave us a tour of the factory...All I can say is You gotta see it!!! Boats everywhere!!! After 2 weeks Triton called me and said I can pick the boat up at ......local dealer. I was rather shocked it was done so soon and here! I went over it and it looks NEW!!! They not only repaired all of the cracking they also added some extras. New moulding around edge of carpet, pads on both sides on rear deck, motor plate in rear transom well, steering wheel center button. Poss. more, but all I noticed so far. and not a dime out of my pocket. All I can say is Triton, without a doubt, is #1 with customer satisfaction!"

I would strongly suggest your friend take boat to factory if he hasn't. If he has and Triton has said this, I'd recommend he call or email Earl Bentz personally.

Dave Carter

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
QUOTE(MadWags @ Mar 4 2004, 01:45 PM)Just like a good Neighbor.
Sooner or later even the neighbors will stop answering the door!!!
LOL!!

Mac

1 - 12 of 12 Posts