Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner

Interesting change to Florida boating law

3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Driftwood 
#1 ·
Beginning Jan. 1, 2010, any boater born on or after Jan. 1, 1988 will be required to take an approved boating safety course and possess an FWC-issued boating safety identification card. Anyone born on or after Jan. 1, 1988 and purchases a boat will have 90 days from the purchase date to obtain a boating safety identification card.

Source

Unlike the Michigan requirement that PWC operators have a boater safety card, it looks like Florida is going to require them for any kind of watercraft, unless you're old.

See less See more
#6 ·
Certainly better than nothing. Too bad we'll never see a program like that...

Unfortunately, at least around the Nautical Mile, 20% is ignorance and 80% is people just not giving a damn about anyone but themselves because they have a 40ft boat and think they are better than everyone else.

Some drunk bastard in a flybridge PASSED me in the JB/Miller canal doing 4+ mph, chugging a beer within a few feet of starboard side with oncoming traffic. Greeted him with the good old 1 finger salute, then called the CG. They were right next door and were able to intercept him before docking. Sheriff showed up and took him into custody. Towed the boat to impound even though it was just a few hundred feet from the dock
Quite satisfying indeed!

And yes, I know larger/performance boats have to move faster to maintain control, but not to that extreme. And certainly not pass in a narrow, busy, no wake canal.

#8 ·
I know that I, for one, will rest easier knowing that my fellow boaters are now going to be vetted by highly trained and efficient government boat trainers. Why, I'm sure the waters around Florida will soon be run with the Swiss-watch efficiency displayed by the US Postal Service!

#9 ·
QUOTE(Cadmonkey @ Oct 20 2009, 11:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Bored @ Oct 20 2009, 11:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Certainly better than nothing. Too bad we'll never see a program like that...

yeah its amazing that Granmole hasnt jumped all over that one as a revenue maker for the state.

That would assume that she DID anything.

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
QUOTE(Bored @ Oct 20 2009, 11:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Certainly better than nothing. Too bad we'll never see a program like that...

Unfortunately, at least around the Nautical Mile, 20% is ignorance and 80% is people just not giving a damn about anyone but themselves because they have a 40ft boat and think they are better than everyone else.

Some drunk bastard in a flybridge PASSED me in the JB/Miller canal doing 4+ mph, chugging a beer within a few feet of starboard side with oncoming traffic. Greeted him with the good old 1 finger salute, then called the CG. They were right next door and were able to intercept him before docking. Sheriff showed up and took him into custody. Towed the boat to impound even though it was just a few hundred feet from the dock
Quite satisfying indeed!

And yes, I know larger/performance boats have to move faster to maintain control, but not to that extreme. And certainly not pass in a narrow, busy, no wake canal.
LOL I can see why you keep all of your info out of your profile.. Don't want that some drunk Bastage in a fly bridge hunting you down and coming after you do ya..

By the way most people in those 40' boats go alot slower through marinas then the people that own those much smaller boats.. I've been rocked more then once while sitting in my boat at dock side while so dumb bastage in a 25 footer with his music blaring go's running through the marina not careing about anyone or anything but his self and the girls he's trying to impress with all of his so called boating knowledge. In fact I would say 90% of the time when my boat get's rocked while dock side it's by boats 26ft or less not by the larger boats.

#12 ·
Maybee have "GranMole" put the pressure on strict enforcement of powerloading laws, similar to how they do seatbelt enforcement zones. Make powerloading a $500 fine & that revenue alone would pay for a sheriff at each launch, writing ticket after ticket all day & night at all the powerloaders that Washout all the boat launches in the state... that would fix one costly problem in this state.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.