Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok I have searched and searched, no one on this site has asked this question. I want to get more preformance out of my outboard, but Im not quite sure how. I have heard that I can change props and that there may be a different carb I can put on it. maybe a set of dolphin fins to get it on plane faster? I have a 1979 johnson 55 sea horse. Runs like a champ, starts first time every time, I lost my job in march, dont have any extra money to up grade to a bigger engine, the 55 is just not enough motor for my heavy a$$ boat. I am afraid to buy a used motor from craigslist because I dont have the mony to waste on junk and I know my motor is reliable. any input would be helpful. thanks

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
I know first hand that putting a hydrofoil (Dolphin) on the motor will actually cut your speed. It gets you on plane faster but slows you down some. My boat with me & my son in it (25 HP tiller 4-stk) whould hit 28.5 Mph on the GPS. After I put the hydrofoil on it we went 24.5 Mph on the GPS. I took it off & returned it to Cabelas.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(Zib @ Aug 21 2009, 09:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I know first hand that putting a hydrofoil (Dolphin) on the motor will actually cut your speed. It gets you on plane faster but slows you down some. My boat with me & my son in it (25 HP tiller 4-stk) whould hit 28.5 Mph on the GPS. After I put the hydrofoil on it we went 24.5 Mph on the GPS. I took it off & returned it to Cabelas.

very interesting, the boat runs great, it works perfect for what I want it to do (fishing) but wifey wants to beable to pull tubes, and I'm not sure it will do it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
QUOTE(wallysteve @ Aug 21 2009, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>my boat 16 ft tri hull goes about 32 and it will pull a single tube with no problem
your best bet is to contact a dealer if it`s an evinrude or johnson i would recommend loeckman`s hardware and boat`s in detroit he`s a great mechanic and very fair. you can go to a high performance head and get more horsepower which would solve your problem then all you would have to do is change the carb jet`s . it would help.

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
You gotta be careful with a motor of that age. For a couple of reasons- first of all, it's old. Doesn't mean it's bad, but it may not have the strength or integrity to withstand high performance heads (if you can find heads for that motor, or even machine them). Second of all, that motor is from pre-EPA days. Meaning it's not choked or detuned for emmissions and is running at the capacity the engineers designed into it. There's not much there to "open up." It is open.

Also be careful with props. You can go down a pitch or two and pick up rpm, but your motor (I'm guessing) doesn't have a limiter, unless it's a simple governor. Your motor will run as fast as you put gas into it, and 30 year old motors don't do well at 6000 rpm.

As far as hydrofoils, they can help boats get on plane, but they're not meant for running on plane, as if the motor is mounted correctly, it should be entirely out of the water while the boat is on plane. (Zib- if you lost mph with your foil your motor may be mounted too low, or you weren't trimmed properly; it shouldn't affect top end speed, even though they advertise increase in speed and fuel efficiency.)

Personally, I say maybe mount a "whale tale" and see if that helps you get up on plane or pull a tube, but a boat as heavy as your's (mine weighs about the same, and I have a 225 on it) just needs power, and there's no substitute for power. You can band-aid a slower boat, but that motor may be giving you all it has.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
QUOTE(esoxfly @ Aug 21 2009, 10:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>As far as hydrofoils, they can help boats get on plane, but they're not meant for running on plane, as if the motor is mounted correctly, it should be entirely out of the water while the boat is on plane. (Zib- if you lost mph with your foil your motor may be mounted too low, or you weren't trimmed properly; it shouldn't affect top end speed, even though they advertise increase in speed and fuel efficiency.)

I tried the different trim settings (manual) & still had the slower speed. My motor can only be mounted one way so lower or higher is not an option. It's only a 25 HP tiller.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Free speed, you don't have money for new, iffy to play around with the motor, the only choice is to try to lose weight. Take out non essecial stuff, tackle, chairs, etc. anything that doesn't effect performance or safety. I know I keep buying tackle and comfort stuff, tools, etc and they all end up on my boat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.