Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(bikinigirl @ Sep 25 2003, 09:00 AM)Just curious what others think.
What kind of health plan does it offer?

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
It's work for sure! Unless it's your kids and than it's parenting and the right thing to do.......which is still work.

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
this may seem harsh, but I don't. maybe for teenage girls or in a day care.
fun bags nannys, and it drives me crazy when i need her to do something and she says she can't cause she has the kids and i'm like
THAT'S NOT A JOB!!! I HIRED YOU!!
or she'll bring the kids with her....grrrrr!! kids have no place in a tattoo parlor.

sorry if that's harsh. but man does that bug me.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Heck yeah its a job!!!
I was a nanny for 1 baby for almost 2 years. Its not easy , expecially when shes 4 months old and collicy.
I give anyone credit for watching kids all day long.
So yes Its a job!!!

·
Registered
9,003 Posts
Initially, my thoughts were "work generates a paycheck and is how you earn you living" but, according to webster, that is "employment"

so, yes, babysitting for sure is work!

Main Entry: 1work
Pronunciation: 'w&rk
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English werk, work, from Old English werc, weorc; akin to Old High German werc work, Greek ergon, Avestan var&zem activity
Date: before 12th century
1 : activity in which one exerts strength or faculties to do or perform something: a : sustained physical or mental effort to overcome obstacles and achieve an objective or result b : the labor, task, or duty that is one's accustomed means of livelihood c : a specific task, duty, function, or assignment often being a part or phase of some larger activity
2 a : energy expended by natural phenomena b : the result of such energy <sand dunes are the work of sea and wind> c : the transference of energy that is produced by the motion of the point of application of a force and is measured by multiplying the force and the displacement of its point of application in the line of action
7 a : something produced or accomplished by effort, exertion, or exercise of skill <this book is the work of many hands> b : something produced by the exercise of creative talent or expenditure of creative effort : artistic production
8 plural : performance of moral or religious acts <salvation by works>
9 a : effective operation : EFFECT, RESULT <wait for time to do its healing work> b : manner of working : WORKMANSHIP, EXECUTION
-synonyms WORK, EMPLOYMENT, OCCUPATION, CALLING, PURSUIT, Métier, BUSINESS mean a specific sustained activity engaged in especially in earning one's living. WORK may apply to any purposeful activity whether remunerative or not <her work as a hospital volunteer>. EMPLOYMENT implies work for which one has been engaged and is being paid by an employer <your employment with this firm is hereby terminated>. OCCUPATION implies work in which one engages regularly especially as a result of training <his occupation as a trained auto mechanic>. CALLING applies to an occupation viewed as a vocation or profession <the ministry seemed my true calling>. PURSUIT suggests a trade, profession, or avocation followed with zeal or steady interest <her family considered medicine the only proper pursuit>. Métier implies a calling or pursuit for which one believes oneself to be especially fitted <acting was my one and only métier>. BUSINESS suggests activity in commerce or the management of money and affairs <the business of managing a hotel>.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Babysitting "5 days a week", whether watching children for pay all day all week or at night when Mom & Dad go out, is obviously work if done correctly and responsibly. It should pay well, which it doesn't.

You could ask the same question about other domestic work that is hired out because folks are too busy with their jobs to do it, including washing clothes, cleaning houses, and cutting grass. I don't think anyone would say those aren't work.

Now defacing peoples' bodies with ink, that's questionable.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
QUOTE(boatmonkey @ Sep 25 2003, 08:16 AM)Babysitting "5 days a week", whether watching children for pay all day all week or at night when Mom & Dad go out, is obviously work if done correctly and responsibly. It should pay well, which it doesn't.

You could ask the same question about other domestic work that is hired out because folks are too busy with their jobs to do it, including washing clothes, cleaning houses, and cutting grass. I don't think anyone would say those aren't work.

Now defacing peoples' bodies with ink, that's questionable.
Well said

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
hey... i didn't say she was tattooing. i said a tatoo place is no place to bring kids.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
QUOTE(fit chick @ Sep 25 2003, 08:10 AM)Heck yeah its a job!!!
I was a nanny for 1 baby for almost 2 years. Its not easy , expecially when shes 4 months old and collicy.
I give anyone credit for watching kids all day long.
So yes Its a job!!!
agreed!

I was a nanny for two years and boy did I work my butt off!

Children will keep you RUNNING!

Also agree that it is underpaid, but what are ya gonna do about it, there is only so much to go around sometimes.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
ABSOLUTELY it is! Is that what you do for a living BikiniGirl?
I commend you if so - kids are a LOT of work - or, a labor or love most days

·
LSCN Sponsor
1,910 Posts
It sure is work and probably more inportant than any of our jobs here. Is the program I make for the machine shop going to affect(sp) how a child sees the world; i dont think so, is coming up with an ad slogan going to influance a childs development...nope. It does not matter weather the child is your own or if you are providing day care, you are helping mold a personality thus you are shaping the person themselvs. Bottom line is most of us are making a living, people who take care of children are helping to make a person.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
QUOTE(fatcat660 @ Sep 25 2003, 09:35 AM)It sure is work and probably more inportant than any of our jobs here. Is the program I make for the machine shop going to affect(sp) how a child sees the world; i dont think so, is coming up with an ad slogan going to influance a childs development...nope. It does not matter weather the child is your own or if you are providing day care, you are helping mold a personality thus you are shaping the person themselvs. Bottom line is most of us are making a living, people who take care of children are helping to make a person.

So true

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am sure most of you have heard this but I thought after what Fatcat said it was appropriate.

"A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove~
But the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child." ~~Anonymous

·
12,052 Posts
This is definately one for Jenn to answer. She is nannying for three boys on ritalin (sp) for two solid weeks and ALSO her usual two or three days a week for two bratty girls. (I called it double dipping) She then goes to another families house for four days. I talked to her the other day and could barely hear her with all the kids screaming in the background. She says the boys are good kids but the girls...............

They are all Birmingham families and she gets paid VERY well, but remember its around the clock work.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
HELL BABYSITTING MY OWN KIDS FOR FOUR HOURS A NITE IS WORK. MY WIFE WATCHES SIX KIDS DURING THE DAY WHEN I GET HOME SHE RELEIVES THE TENSION ON ME ....ANYONE KNOW A GOOD DIVORCE LAWYER

1 - 20 of 25 Posts