Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I heard it was going to be legal this year,if not what a stupid law.The way I understand it the law has something to do with snagging salmon,most of the areas I fish, there are either dams stopping the salmon, or I fish on inland lakes,can someone make any sense out of this.Dropshotting is one technique I would like to try legally without using a technicality.

·
Formerly "FRL"
930 Posts
QUOTEIs dropshotting legal in Mi. yet?

No it is not legal and won't be legal anytime soon.

It appears the DNR is content on keeping this law intact.

The law was intended to cut down on snagging in Michigan Rivers and streams. If you have ever spent time fishing on Manistee River during Salmon season you would understand the importance of this law. Snagging is a huge problem in Michigan streams and rivers. Unfortunately, this law is not solving the problem. The DNR needs to seriously reconsider this law.

I believe the law should only apply to designated trout streams or 100 ft from the mouth of designated trout streams. I also feel that the DNR should issue stiffer fines to snaggers. Snagging fish is very un-sportsman like and should not be categorized the same as drop-shoting.

Drop-shoting should be a legal fishing method on Michigan Lakes. However the DNR does not distinguish the difference between the two forms of fishing. It's going to be a tough battle for Bass fishermen to win when the DNR views it as an illegal rig designed for un-sportsman like taking of game.

My suggestion is if you Salmon fish and you see someone snagging you report them. If we can stop people from snagging salmon in Michigan we may have a chance of getting this law amended.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I remember when I was real young my Dad used to take me up to Caseville perch fishing to one of the piers in late March or early April I believe. We used a perch rig that I believe had a big sinker with a wire loop on the bottom, with the main attached to it, then a wire type thing sticking off to the side, with a mono leader and hook attached to it. We would put a minnow on the hook to fish for perch. How is this rig much different than a drop shot rig. Could you use this type of perch rig as a drop shot rig? Would it be legal, and if so, would it be almost as effective as a drop shot rig?

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
A "true" drop shot has the hook tied directly to the main line. Using a perch or crappie rig with a wire or mono leader between the main line and the hook is legal (as long as the leader is over 3").

Mini

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys,and just to re-express myself,it is a stupid law,I would like to try it,but don't get to Canada much.THANKS AGAIN

·
Banned
112 Posts
I've talked to several DNR people about drop shotting (more than a few didn't know what it was). The consensus I got was the DNR would look at intent before issuing a ticket. That doesn't help tournament anglers any, because most tournament organizations specify fish must be taken by legal methods. I agree with the above post, the DNR shows no interest in changing the law. Of course our DNR doesn't show much interest in actually doing anything when it comes to bass fishing.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I've heard the same, they could give you a ticket but most won't. Like you said, it still doesn't help in tournaments.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts