Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
LSCN Sponsor since March 2010
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i heard this guy at the marina say he gaffs muskie instead of netting them and hasnt hurt one yet not trying to say he is not telling the truth but if so seems like it might be better then a net if there is no harm done but it just doesnt seem right

·
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea he said he gaffs them and not one has ever died sounds like bs

·
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats what i think he said but still what if u miss

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
Yeah he was hopefully talking about gaffing in the mouth. Meh, I say net them. Nets nowadays are specifically designed for muskies in size and material. And if you're not an expert with a gaff, it'll be a mess.

And if he's talking about just gaffing them like one does a dolphin or tuna, then he's full of crap. He may have never had one die on the floor of his boat, but I guarantee it went on it's way and died later.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Ive gaffed and released pike while ice fishing no problem. Thats in a 8" hole tho so they couldnt thrash to much. But I guess with a quik and steady hand you could successfuly land a muskie that way. I personally try to realse at my fish in the water, I havent caught any real hogs but i have caught legal fish and have successfuly realeased all 5 fish this year by hand never lifting and keeping the fish in the water. And I still have all my fingers.

I would prefer a net but it would take up all the little space I got in my 10.5' RIB

·
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i agree with esox i would not want to hurt the fish just wanted to see if most everybody else was on the same page

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I know they gaff Tarpon like that, but those are huge fish and I can't think of a better way to handle those things.

As far as a guy saying that he releases them just fine - sure I bet they do swim away. But there are better way to land a musky IMO.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
i have a gaff thats been dulled (point is rounded off) for the purpose stated above to be used to slip through the gill, i dont use it maybe if was in a stationary boat be easier but a moving boat trying to get just the gill plate and not the gills isnt really that easy. then you still have to lift fish vertically. me and my brother working on making a cradle to weigh fish so dont hang em by their jaw but a dull gaff has to be easier on the fish then all these grips on the market that clamp on the fish's jaw. i bought a rapala one but prefer a glove and holding the gill plate. i only used it once,but if i didnt have a livewell it would make dragging a fish to revive alot easier seeing you could tow it by the head

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
QUOTE(Chadster @ Jul 17 2009, 08:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(jquintano78 @ Jul 17 2009, 11:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i agree with esox i would not want to hurt the fish just wanted to see if most everybody else was on the same page

The traditional way gaffs have been used involves piercing the skin in the lower jaw of the muskie. THis can be harmful to the fish, but probably not as harmful as what usually comes next, which is hanging the fish from the gaff. All the weight of the fish concentrated on the lower jaw can cause the jaw to actually break. In my opinion, hanging a fish from a boga lik device isn't much better. The jaw bone simply cannot handle the presure.

A gaff can be a very effective release tool if used properly. It can be slipped right up under the gill plate and out through the mouth. BUT, you must know what you are doing, or you could kill the fish. Don't try to teach yourself... You should only attempt this after instruction from someone who has it perfected. In my opinion, for the common fisherman, there are better ways. Even if you did perfect this method, you still should not hang the fish.

I totally agree. I've never even liked the looks of a Boca grip...might as well grab a pair of pliers and grab the fish by the jaw and lift it up. Those things are only made to benefit the angler, not the fish. They might be good for some ocean fish that have teeth, that don't get that big...or maybe for grabbing up a Walleye or Bass that is getting planned on being weighed....But, I agree that hanging a 20lb+ fish by its jaw, but two little pointy pieces of metal = damage to the fish... It's like the lazy man's tool to retain the fish..IMO.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
QUOTE(Large Mouth Peks @ Jul 18 2009, 12:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Chadster @ Jul 17 2009, 08:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(jquintano78 @ Jul 17 2009, 11:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i agree with esox i would not want to hurt the fish just wanted to see if most everybody else was on the same page

The traditional way gaffs have been used involves piercing the skin in the lower jaw of the muskie. THis can be harmful to the fish, but probably not as harmful as what usually comes next, which is hanging the fish from the gaff. All the weight of the fish concentrated on the lower jaw can cause the jaw to actually break. In my opinion, hanging a fish from a boga lik device isn't much better. The jaw bone simply cannot handle the presure.

A gaff can be a very effective release tool if used properly. It can be slipped right up under the gill plate and out through the mouth. BUT, you must know what you are doing, or you could kill the fish. Don't try to teach yourself... You should only attempt this after instruction from someone who has it perfected. In my opinion, for the common fisherman, there are better ways. Even if you did perfect this method, you still should not hang the fish.

I totally agree. I've never even liked the looks of a Boca grip...might as well grab a pair of pliers and grab the fish by the jaw and lift it up. Those things are only made to benefit the angler, not the fish. They might be good for some ocean fish that have teeth, that don't get that big...or maybe for grabbing up a Walleye or Bass that is getting planned on being weighed....But, I agree that hanging a 20lb+ fish by its jaw, but two little pointy pieces of metal = damage to the fish... It's like the lazy man's tool to retain the fish..IMO.

Last I checked, Musky have a pretty good set themselves.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
QUOTE(adamfish @ Jul 18 2009, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Large Mouth Peks @ Jul 18 2009, 12:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Chadster @ Jul 17 2009, 08:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(jquintano78 @ Jul 17 2009, 11:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i agree with esox i would not want to hurt the fish just wanted to see if most everybody else was on the same page

Last I checked, Musky have a pretty good set themselves.

Nice observations...

But you forgot to bold the rest of the sentence....

I think any fish over 10lbs, either by dangling it by the jaw or grabbing its jaw and letting it thrash around beside the boat, seems like a bad idea for the fish, if you plan on releasing it.

They need wide pads on the ends of the Boca jaws...I bet a lot of them pierce right through the musky's jaw skin, etc, especially when they thrash around.

It's just a lazy man's tool to grab a fish by the jaw, when you don't even need to be grabbing the fish by the jaw in the first place.

·
Registered
345 Posts
QUOTE(Chadster @ Jul 17 2009, 08:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(jquintano78 @ Jul 17 2009, 11:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i agree with esox i would not want to hurt the fish just wanted to see if most everybody else was on the same page

Like Chad said above.
Some old timers I know do this very well and do not kill the fish. Its the only way to troll by your self and not have a mess with the net and fish in the boat. After all we only have two hands.
He is telling the truth.
Greg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts