Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey folks, have a line on a 1984 bayliner trophy 21' averag cond for its age, no motor but i have one to put in. guys asking 1500 bucks, wondering if its worth it. any imput would be great. thanks in advance!

·
Vendor
12,824 Posts
Tough to give an answer without actually seeing it. Bayliners have a reputation for being abused boats left out in the weather without covers. Even though the cost of the hull sounds inexpensive, you will still have much time and a motor invested into the boat. I would still look closely at the condition of the stringers and interior. Even though you won't have a ton invested, you still want a reliable boat out there.

Any pics available?

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
No motor, 25 years old, less than desirable brand. Offer $500, unless there is a trailer (in good condition) or some electronics included. I wouldn't go past $1000 unless it's immaculate (or has a nice trailer).

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
A sa previous owner of a junkliner oh I mean bayliner. I wouldn't do it. I got my 1984 22' with a cuddy and a good motor in it for 1500 and I got my 16 foot open bow for 1200. Both were in excellent shape and better yet had good running motors and immaculate trailers Offer him $500 if it has a lot of electronics and a nice trailer offer 750. And if he doesn't really show much interest explain to him the cost associated with disposing of a boat. If he takes it to a salvage yard he might get a couple hundred with a trailer. If he just tries to junk it they charge to get rid of fiberglass.

·
Registered
306 Posts
QUOTE(todd08 @ Jan 24 2010, 12:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>hey folks, have a line on a 1984 bayliner trophy 21' averag cond for its age, no motor but i have one to put in. guys asking 1500 bucks, wondering if its worth it. any imput would be great. thanks in advance!

If your using it for fishing who cares if it's a Bayliner, it's just a means up getting out and having fun, who cares what your status is when your landing some nice fish, offer $1200.00 put your motor on and get out there.

Funny how people judge when they know absolutely nothing about the constuction of boats to begin with, they just turn a key and go, something breaks they call someone.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
QUOTE(Xecutioner @ Jan 25 2010, 05:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(todd08 @ Jan 24 2010, 12:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>hey folks, have a line on a 1984 bayliner trophy 21' averag cond for its age, no motor but i have one to put in. guys asking 1500 bucks, wondering if its worth it. any imput would be great. thanks in advance!

If your using it for fishing who cares if it's a Bayliner, it's just a means up getting out and having fun, who cares what your status is when your landing some nice fish, offer $1200.00 put your motor on and get out there.

Funny how people judge when they know absolutely nothing about the constuction of boats to begin with, they just turn a key and go, something breaks they call someone.

I still say offer 1000 for it. You can pick them up for that most of the time without a motor. For 1500 there is a 22' islander on craigslist for sale. And it comes with all kinds of rods, reels, and tackle. As a person who has redone a couple of boats thus far I think the bayliners have the most problems with the stringers going bad in the and transom problems. I would definitely gain access to the transom and check how soft it is. You will want to make absolutely sure that you will not be dumping money into it right away. Boats are a very expensive endeavor if you don't have the knowledge on how to do the work yourself. I have already dealt with this first hand and the main part is doing transoms the stringers aren't bad they still suck to do but the transom is a very touchy issue.
As far as the bayliner / junkliner joke it was a joke. Not meant to be a status symbol thing. I didn't care when I owned them they aren't a half bad boat considering parts are available for them all over cause they were really mass produced and sold.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I look at it this way, if you can afford to buy it, fix it and splash it in the same year you are ahead of most people on this website.

I'm in the "I don't have a boat payment" camp but I drive a 30 year old boat, but she treats me right and almost never lets me down.

Buy a boat, get wet and see ya out there

·
Registered
245 Posts
My first boat, co-owned with my brother, was a Chrysler Tornado. We paid $600 for it. Had an outboard that spewed a lot of blue smoke. We'd launch at Metro and people on land would actually point and laugh at us. But, we didn't care. We were on the water having a great time and they were still on land. I love the water and don't make the big bucks (that apparently many of you here do). My 18.5' '99 Bayliner runs great and I don't see me needing anything better. Whatever it takes... get on the water. It's beautiful.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
QUOTE(Tburd69 @ Jan 25 2010, 07:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Do you have a link for the 22' islander, I couldn't find it.
Ask and you shall receive. It is a 1974 21 and 1/2 foot. If i didn't have mine I would buy this one.but it does look like he sold the gear but he lowered the price on it to 1400. he has had it for sale for a long time. I would offer a lot less then 1400 just to see how firm he is. But you do as you want. I got my 1978 for a trade for a boat i bought for 1200 but he wanted a smaller boat and I wanted a larger one so it worked perfect.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/boa/1555857380.html

·
Registered
6,511 Posts

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
QUOTE(Sheamus @ Jan 25 2010, 07:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I look at it this way, if you can afford to buy it, fix it and splash it in the same year you are ahead of most people on this website.

I'm in the "I don't have a boat payment" camp but I drive a 30 year old boat, but she treats me right and almost never lets me down.

Same here no boat payment unless you count all the money I am putting into her to fix her up.LOL might as well get a payment, But then what would I do in my spare time.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
QUOTE(Tburd69 @ Jan 25 2010, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks for the advise guys, wasn't sure about it but I think I'm gonna go for it. Like you said, its payed for and it gives me something to do.Should be done for spring. See ya out there.
As far as what to look for.
1) Look for soft spots in the floor a key sign it has taken in water at some point or just wasn't properly laid floor I.E. no fiberglass laid over floor after install.
2) Crawl under boat and check to make sure there are no Bubbles from where water might have sat for a while in the bottom of the boat and froze causing the glass to stretch. Do this by pushing up on the underside of the boat if the glass goes up then it is bubbled. If this happens you are risking a lot you can have that section of glass rip open while on plane and thus sinking your boat. Also this is costly to repair.
3) Check your transom. take a dowel or something with a flat surface and push into the wood on the transom from the inside of the boat. if the dowel or flat object sinks into the wood it has a bad transom and likely will have to be replaced.
4) Check electrical under the dash area. this is a time and money consuming venture if you have to repair.
5) As for the trailer push on the top of the tires if they flex in and out that is usually a sign of bad bearings. Not very costly to repair just a pain
5) hook a battery up and make sure all electronics, lights, horn, etc. work properly A lot of people overlook this and end up paying by having to buy all new equipment.
that is all I can think of. I have learned by trial and error with buying boats but have gotten pretty good at it now that I don't need to buy anymore. Good Luck And hope to see you out there. If you have any more questions you may pm me I am usually on most of the time if i'm not hunting or fishing.
--Scott

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
That trailer looks decent, it's probably worth $500 all by itself.

With a motor that's a $2000, maybe $3000 boat (assuming solid hull). Without a motor the value drops very fast - the motor on that boat's worth as much or more than the boat.

I wasn't thinking hard top. That boat doesn't look like it's in too bad of shape from the pics. But like everyone else here said, take a good look at the stringers and especially the transom.

If you find a soft transom, run away. Not worth fixing. Transoms are important on outboard boats. Expensive, too.

Same with bad stringers, although you can probably run that boat with a couple of rotten stringers forever and never have a problem. Just don't go out in the perfect storm.

As others have said - with the trailer, if the stringers and transom check out, offer $1000, maybe $1200.

·
Vendor
12,824 Posts
Going by the pictures alone, it doesn't look all that bad. If I really wanted it I would probably offer $1K. What ever you decide good luck and happy boating.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
QUOTE(bowtiehater28 @ Jan 25 2010, 08:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Sheamus @ Jan 25 2010, 07:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I look at it this way, if you can afford to buy it, fix it and splash it in the same year you are ahead of most people on this website.

Same here no boat payment unless you count all the money I am putting into her to fix her up.LOL might as well get a payment, But then what would I do in my spare time.

Yeah but if and when you decide to stop doing updates the costs stop too, with a payment you are cutting a check in December just the same as you are in July.

It's like paying for a hooker and then driving away... Oops that might have been wrong to say

1 - 20 of 21 Posts