Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the cool weather and rain we are getting this week is it going to be worth driving two hours. I would love to fish on Friday, however I really dont want to waste the trip if it would be better to wait a week or two.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
My advice seeing it's a two hour drive, NEGATIVE. It's going to be three weeks for warmer weather, Michigan... Now the Det. river is turning on. Not trying to bum you out for sure but you want to have a good time. I went to a lake Sunday where i usually catch 50 or more, we caught 3 fish. It's just to cold now. How ever using ice fishing tactic's might produce better. Meaning live bait fished jigging, straight down.

h2o<---says i could be wrong but it's still COLD!!!!

·
Registered
927 Posts
the fishing on kent lake is well worth the trip. even now. the smallies are very aggresive right now. i went out saturday and sunday scouting but couldnt help taking a few casts. trust me, they are on.

madman himself

·
Registered
467 Posts
I'll be out there Thursday for the opener, possibly Friday for a couple hours and all day Saturday. I went to Kensington today to pick up my tags for the truck and boat, and the water is down, but not low enough to keep me off of it. I've fished that lake when the air temp was in the 30's, water temp not much higher, snow, rain and wind...and I still caught fish. I guess it all depends on if you can take the abuse! If you do go out BFL, look for a red Stratos and give me a holler...

·
Registered
188 Posts
jcheetam, you mentioned you picked up tags for your truck and boat? Don't you just need a pass for the day to put on the inside of your truck windshield?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Since it is a Metro Park Basschaser, you will pay for your car AND boat each time you enter (day pass). For those of us that launch out of the Metroparks frequently, it's much cheaper to pick up a Metropark pass for the boat and truck for $44 for the season, than it is to pay each time you enter. The tags are good at all Huron-Clinton Metro Parks which includes Erie Metro...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Madman............

Not asking you what bait to use, only about what depth? I have never seen this lake and could spend the whole day fishing bad water. Thanks for your reply. I will not be getting any sleep the rest of the week. I'll be on the water friday or sunday, blue TR19. Yell if you see me.

·
Registered
927 Posts
i will say this much, fish shallow. i dont care how cold it is or how cold it has been, the smallies are shallow and aggresive.

fish along shorelines with rattle traps or jerkbaits. you will catch fish.

when i went out saturday with a friend, we had no depth finder and no way of knowing the water temp. since it was my first time out this season, i assumed the water was colder than it actually was and fished cold water patterns all day. i got two bites saturday and didnt land either.

sunday was a bit different. i was out again with the same guy but had another friend out in his own boat. he told the water temps and i almost didnt believe him. the temps were in the mid to high 40s ( depending on where you were on the lake ) and to me that means the smallmouth will be moving up to the shallows and start feeding aggresively.

sunday was a much better day for all of us. im telling you, bring a ratl trap or 7 and fish the shorelines near bays and points. if that doesnt work i dont know what to tell you. i will look for you out there and if im on fish i will let you know.

good luck out there. and dont believe anything the guy in the 18 ft red stratos tells you about me. he is just jealous cuz he knows i will catch more fish than him ( LOL, just kidding jeff, you know you rule ).

madman himself

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Both of you have been a great help. I feel that I can go and have a great time. My buddy just had a lowrance LCX 19C installed on the boat with Navionics gold mapping software, after hearing him tell me how the mapping software looks I am chopping at the bit to get down there. Thanks again guys and hope to see you on the water Friday or Sunday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
927 Posts
jeff, too busy at work to take thursday off. and my boat still isnt done. hopefully i can get out saturday and sunday with someone else ( hint, hint ) i get by with a little help from my friends

i am excited to get out on cass also. that water doesnt warm as fast so i think i can still catch some fish on cold water patterns out there.

madman himself

·
Registered
467 Posts
I've got my brother coming out on Saturday and it's going to be more of a "show and tell" day of fishing for me. Let me talk with the wife and see if I can get out for a few hours on Sunday. She's already being kind enough to let me go out all day tomorrow and Saturday, so there is a slim chance. You wanna get out next weekend if we can't hook up Sunday? I wouldn't mind hitting Cass, I haven't been out there since we went last year.

·
Formerly &quot;FRL&quot;
930 Posts
OK OK ........If you want Brian you can ride with me....LOL

I guess I will be heading down there this week as well.

Hey Jeff what time you going on Thursday and do you got room for one more?

Man I got the itch.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Anthony, if I had the room, you'd be more than welcome to join me! But, I have my neighbor and his buddy coming along. Maybe next time? Or, maybe you, me, and Brian can try and hook up next weekend?

·
Registered
927 Posts
yeah, next weekend is no good for me. im gonna be busy, uh, washing my hair. then i have to clean the chickens and walk the goat.

i will see if i can get out of it.

madman himself

1 - 16 of 16 Posts