Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
The ferry's been closed down for 3 days now. From the Harsens Island blogspot:

Monday, January 25, 2010

Harsens island Ferry Remains Closed Today

I just got back from Champion's Auto ferry where I spoke to David Bryson, owner of Champion's. The ferry will not run for the rest of today. The ice is just too packed in and too thick.

David stated that he spoke to the Coast Guard out of Detroit and they said they were going to start ice breaking operations on the South Channel tomorrow, and then proceed to work the ice downstream from the ferry. Hopefully this will clear the ice at the ferry, BUT WE DO NOT KNOW FOR SURE WHAT THE OUTCOME OF THESE EFFORTS WILL BE.

The airboat is running until 7pm today...and will run tomorrow on the usual schedule 7am to 7pm from the Boy's Club on the Island and the DNR lot across from Kroger on the mainland....plan accordingly!

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
QUOTE(Stodge @ Jan 26 2010, 11:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It's a plot to get support for a bridge to Harsens.

I wasn't thinking that but it's definately a good reason

(now the bashing begins)

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
We at the New Baltimore Fire Department, along with Ira Twp Fire Department have been put on standby for our air boats. In case Harsens Island Fire department has a fire we will be called on to transport fire fighters from the main land to the island. Our Assistant Chief was out yesterday plotting the crossing and he said it is like rush hour traffic at a stand still and him trying to cross the road, obstacles everywhere! While plotting a course or two they got called on to transport a patient from the island to the main land, that was having problems breathing!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts