Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner

Is there a Chinese tranlator in the house?

675 views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Pandora 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Interesting question for a boating forum I know, but.....

I am working with a photograph of the bottom of a 300+ year old chinese vase. What I need to know is which way is up? Am I showing the below picture in the proper form or do I need to turn it "upside down" or 90 degrees to the "left" or "right" or what?

Any one have any ideas?

Thanks,
Jim

P.S. It translates to "Live a long and prosperous life"

Opps, see below for the pic. Sorry Peeps.

#2 ·
Hee is the pic I am working with.....

#5 ·
QUOTE(bobrob20 @ Jan 11 2004, 05:18 PM)rotate it 90. degrees 4 times and take 4 pics , one of them has to be right.. id hope any ways
Thanks, but I dont think that would work for this.

The jarlet is from the pirate city of Port Royal, Jamaica that sank into the sea on june 7, 1692 from an earthquake and the 3 tidal waves that followed. I am working on a certificate of authenticity and can only provide one bottom. I just thought it would be nice to get the orientation right.

Keep the ideas coming, eventually I'll figure it out.

Pyrate

#8 ·
Thanks Joe. I'll give you a call in the a.m.

#9 ·
QUOTE(PyrateJim @ Jan 11 2004, 05:20 PM)Hee is the pic I am working with.....
Hi Pyrate,
I had about a year and a half of Chinese in H.S. so I don't know a lot but how you have the picture oriented here looks correct because the left hand top character is the sign of Tai or Woman (if there was 2 it would be wife) I'm sure there are some experts though in the area, especially if you hit a real chinese restaurant instead of one of the ones run by Vietnamese. Good luck.

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have showed the picture you posted to a Certified US Army Chinese Linguist that I work with and he translated it as follows: Made in the Ching Dynasty during the bright year.

Note: The picture is oriented properly. It is read from right to left, top to bottom. Specifically it each character says: Built, Ching, Dynast, Bright, Year, Made

#11 ·
QUOTE(Scubajay @ Jan 15 2004, 03:39 PM)I have showed the picture you posted to a Certified US Army Chinese Linguist that I work with and he translated it as follows: Made in the Ching Dynasty during the bright year.

Note: The picture is oriented properly. It is read from right to left, top to bottom. Specifically it each character says: Built, Ching, Dynast, Bright, Year, Made
sooo, technically, it really does say "made in china" then. wow puttin' there stamp on things even back then, too funny.

#12 ·
Thanks everyone for your help.
I can continue with the paperwork and verified wednesday night that the picture is orientated properly.
I am not usre about the translation though, but can check it next week.

Thanks again to all who replied or took the time out to print and show the pic to friends and co-workers.

Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.