Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
I agree throw them back in and let people continue to have years of fun and enjoyment catching them.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
We were just trying to help out also. Most people don't like the taste of bass. In My Opinion they are more fun to catch and release. A bit to fishy tasting for me.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Exactly I wasn't trying to offend. I was just saying let em go and let others enjoy in the great fishing and fun of our great lake st clair. if i offended you I apologize.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I do believe its against the law to accept donated wild fish and animals due to the risk of disease. If somebody got sick from the donation then somebody would be liable. we donated deer to a rehab when I was a kid but they cant accept stuff from the wild anymore.

·
Registered
65 Posts
QUOTE(waterfordmatt @ Jun 9 2009, 07:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I do believe its against the law to accept donated wild fish and animals due to the risk of disease. If somebody got sick from the donation then somebody would be liable. we donated deer to a rehab when I was a kid but they cant accept stuff from the wild anymore.

DNR has contact info on groups that accept hides and processed deer meat and fish fillets for local charities, sorry but i do not know of any off hand.

·
Registered
735 Posts
QUOTE(FatRiverRat @ Jun 9 2009, 07:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(waterfordmatt @ Jun 9 2009, 07:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I do believe its against the law to accept donated wild fish and animals due to the risk of disease. If somebody got sick from the donation then somebody would be liable. we donated deer to a rehab when I was a kid but they cant accept stuff from the wild anymore.

DNR has contact info on groups that accept hides and processed deer meat and fish fillets for local charities, sorry but i do not know of any off hand.

even so, with the recent fish kill and all the fishing pressure this lake faces...if you catch a fish you arent personally going to eat (of any species..except goby lol)...let it go and let it live so this great fishery can be preserved for the future.

·
Banned
2,961 Posts
QUOTE(bassnbrian @ Jun 9 2009, 08:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(FatRiverRat @ Jun 9 2009, 07:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(waterfordmatt @ Jun 9 2009, 07:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I do believe its against the law to accept donated wild fish and animals due to the risk of disease. If somebody got sick from the donation then somebody would be liable. we donated deer to a rehab when I was a kid but they cant accept stuff from the wild anymore.

even so, with the recent fish kill and all the fishing pressure this lake faces...if you catch a fish you arent personally going to eat (of any species..except goby lol)...let it go and let it live so this great fishery can be preserved for the future.

Don't need to be selfish, if your donating for a needy family, do it, this fishery is healthy enough to do so or there would not be any commercial fishing in the area. Not like we don't have enough predators in the lake.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(TimEye @ Jun 9 2009, 09:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(bassnbrian @ Jun 9 2009, 08:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(FatRiverRat @ Jun 9 2009, 07:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(waterfordmatt @ Jun 9 2009, 07:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I do believe its against the law to accept donated wild fish and animals due to the risk of disease. If somebody got sick from the donation then somebody would be liable. we donated deer to a rehab when I was a kid but they cant accept stuff from the wild anymore.

Don't need to be selfish, if your donating for a needy family, do it, this fishery is healthy enough to do so or there would not be any commercial fishing in the area. Not like we don't have enough predators in the lake.

You are right. not need to be selfish, but you do have to be LEGAL.

You cannot keep bass on Lake St Clair (or either the Detroit or St Clair River) until the third Saturday in June in Michigan water. Ontario water is the last Saturday in June.

I give you kudos for the thought. I think canned goods would go farther though.

Or better yet, volunteer for Meals on Wheels. I do it every Thanksgiving with my Mother. She does it every week. There are MANY elderly people that NEED the delivery of food to survive.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok then I read those responses at like 130 am and was like what the heck. But before you say I am doing something illegal you might want to ask where I was fishing. It was large mouth that I was catching so as far as I know those are more likely to be caught in shallow waters, like inland fishing. Just so happens that is where I was fishing, in the marshy area at metro, which I believe is inland waters and is legal to catch and keep Large mouth bass as of the sat. before memorial day , right? Well I am sorry if I took you comments the wrong way. The other point, those fish do taste very fishy
. I told my dad I wanted to go try fish some where that we could catch some perch or walleye. We are going to try the mouth of the black river.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Well before you tell me I sould ask where you are fishing you should tell me....LOL (thats a joke bro). Yes if you are fishing nthe marsh by the boat launch you can keep em, but I dont know why one would want to other than it is your legal right to. You are correct they dont taste that good.

Since this IS a forum about Lake St Clair I ASSUMED you were fishing on the lake. My bad.

Its all good. Good thoughts, good idea. No problem.

Enjoy!

·
Banned
2,961 Posts
QUOTE(Mini @ Jun 9 2009, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You are right. not need to be selfish, but you do have to be LEGAL.

You cannot keep bass on Lake St Clair (or either the Detroit or St Clair River) until the third Saturday in June in Michigan water. Ontario water is the last Saturday in June.

In the original post, did he say where he was fishing and when, or was it a general question? Think more info was needed before peeps start barking "think its illegal", jmo

·
Banned
2,961 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
QUOTE(Mini @ Jun 9 2009, 11:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well before you tell me I sould ask where you are fishing you should tell me....

Enjoy!

Ok your right sort of like you should tell me its illegal before you ask where I was fishing I get it now. Your right Ive never heard of anyone in here posting about fishing anywhere beside LAKE ST CLAIR.

"You cannot keep bass on Lake St Clair (or either the Detroit or St Clair River) until the third Saturday in June in Michigan water. Ontario water is the last Saturday in June"

Does this just say Lake St Clair?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.