Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While leaving Gull island on Saturday night, in the channel near the lighthouses, as we were pulling out, my son had an accident and was injured in a manner that required immediate attention. As there were no other boats around at the time, I cut the engine so that my wife and I could attend to him. After about 2 minutes adrift while getting him calm and patched up, I noticed a Scarab type boat barreling toward us. There was ample room in the channel to get by us by 60 + feet and I knew that they saw us so I didn't think about it again until a few seconds later when I looked up saw the sh*t eating grin on the drivers face as he passed literally 10-14 feet (no exaggeration) from our stern. This of course caused a bad situation to get worse as my wife attempted to aid our child while we were thrown violently around.

I often anchor at various places in the lake (mid lake, not channels) and have had several encounters with these boats coming within several yards with no other traffic in sight and have usually chalked it up to the driver pretty much showing off or just passing withthin a safe distance to rattle people up a little bit and have some fun, which is no big deal.

Aside from being an utter jackass, is there any point to blowing past a stationary vessel by 10 feet or so at 35-45 mph? Is there some lesson that this %$#@head was trying to teach me that I should know after being on the water for 10 + years? Since my son did receive additional (although very minor) injuries as a result of this @$$hole,
do I need to trade in my cruiser for one of these boats so that next time I can get a wave or thumbs up from this guy from a respectable distance instead of disrespect and disregard for anybody's safety while he's on the water?

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
Did you get the license number? He should have been close enough.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
Holy smokes!!! I really wonder what is wrong with people. Don't they get it??? It is not funny nor cool......

I hope your son is okay....

If it wasn't enough having him hurt, but to have the living $hit scared out of you on top of it

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
If you didn't get the MC number, maybe you saw a boat name? Or make amd model?

There's no excuse for that kind of boat handling. This ahole probably thinks he's a hell of a skipper when really he's an immature jerk who has no business piloting a boat. Guaranteed, if he had lost control of his vessel for any reason he would be saying how sorry he is and "It was an "accident", I didn't know I would lose my steering (or whatever), and it's not my fault."

It doesn't help that too many "boaters" think their vessels run on beer.

Hope you are all OK.

G

·
I would like to think if you radio-ed the coast gaurd at that very moment, even with just a boat description, they would have done something about "reckless driving".

I have heard that they are very good about that.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
I can't beleive how many idiots are out there. What goes thru their mind? Do they not see the danger? Why is it funny to hurt someone?

We were going up the S Channel yesterday, on our way to the moot. We were just south of the old Coast Guard station when MrSunbum got hit in the head with something. Knocked his hat off, knocked him off balance. We stopped & looked around, there on shore were 4 guys laughing their butts off. They had a 3 person water balloon launcher. They thought it was funny to hit passing boaters. They were laughing when they saw they hit him. MrSunbum's neck hurt & he got an instant headache. We pulled up, MrSunbum was yelling at them, told them he was calling the cops. Then they were sorry. Kept appologizing. Like that makes it all better? The worst part is one of their moms was standing right there, laughing. We tried hailing the St Clair County Sheriff on 16. That was useless. No one answered. We went to a friends nearby, called the cops.
The cop went to the house, the boys kept saying it was an accident, they didnt mean to hit him. Right.
There will be charges pressed. People need to learn , their actions have consequenses.

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
Why don't these damn kids with the water balloon launchers stick to good old fashioned fun, like dropping cement blocks off freeway overpassess!!! Leave us boaters alone!!!

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
hopefully the police gave the kids a good scare and there mother when she realizes some one could have seriously been injured.and her be held liable for letting her kids run wild. some people just have no common sense or consideration for others. they need to have a boating saftey as well as manners mandatory . to get mc #s

·
Registered
21 Posts
What a bunch of a-holes, in both stories. I think that it's too bad that any a-hole can own a boat, just like any a-hole can have a kid. There needs to be a parental license, like you need to be a certain IQ in order to re-produce!!

Sorry to hear about your incidents, thats the crap that pisses me off about cops, when you really need them the are never there. But when you doing 10 over look out!!

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
Way to go Sunbums!! Too bad Boss and I didn't go with you. She would have kicked their @$$es for you.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
QUOTE(Snowmaker @ Jul 7 2003, 02:27 PM)Way to go Sunbums!! Too bad Boss and I didn't go with you. She would have kicked their @$$es for you.

Glda Boss wan't there. Had a hard enough time keeping MrSunbum on the boat & not letting him kick their *sses. Then HE would be in trouble.

Need to clarify, when I said kids, I was talking between the ages of 18 & 20. BIG boys. They should know better by then. As for the mom, she was prob 40 something.

The cops did put a good scare into them. they are prob still sweating it out. Can't go into details here (you never know if they are lurking) lets just say, they will learn that you have to br responsable & THINK beforeyou do stupid things.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Huh, sounds like a normal day on the lake to me.

I've lost count of the times I've nearly been run over or swamped.

I've come to the conclusion that if your boat is bigger than 23 feet you have omnipotent rule of all the water in St. Clair.

It doesn't matter if I'm in the middle of the lake, going up or down Clinton river, Salt river upper, or lower channel.

I've gotten names, numbers descriptions...Blah Blah Blah...

Now I just have one more carry on to the EDBD, manufactured by the Beretta company.......

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
QUOTE(MrsSunbum @ Jul 7 2003, 09:27 AM)I can't beleive how many idiots are out there. What goes thru their mind? Do they not see the danger? Why is it funny to hurt someone?

We were going up the S Channel yesterday, on our way to the moot. We were just south of the old Coast Guard station when MrSunbum got hit in the head with something. Knocked his hat off, knocked him off balance. We stopped & looked around, there on shore were 4 guys laughing their butts off. They had a 3 person water balloon launcher. They thought it was funny to hit passing boaters. They were laughing when they saw they hit him. MrSunbum's neck hurt & he got an instant headache. We pulled up, MrSunbum was yelling at them, told them he was calling the cops. Then they were sorry. Kept appologizing. Like that makes it all better? The worst part is one of their moms was standing right there, laughing. We tried hailing the St Clair County Sheriff on 16. That was useless. No one answered. We went to a friends nearby, called the cops.
The cop went to the house, the boys kept saying it was an accident, they didnt mean to hit him. Right.
There will be charges pressed. People need to learn , their actions have consequenses.
Good For You!

Hope Mr. Bum is OK!

BTW I've been trying to figure out where the old station is...Hints Please

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
QUOTE(EDBDBOAT @ Jul 7 2003, 02:24 PM)Now I just have one more carry on to the EDBD, manufactured by the Beretta company.......
Just stay out of Canadian waters.

Kinda hard to do if you are running the channels on the Detroit and StClair rivers.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Thats a sad day on our lake!!!!!! Why do we have to have A##HOLES like that????? GET MC NUMBERS!!!!It makes me sick to here those things ...If you have to get off plan to give right away to another boater and burn more fuel so let it be ...Ill get off plan if I see some Idot that does not under stand the rules (My life and family lifes mean more then a few $$ gas) .Its harder to get a crusiser on plan ....I always thought If someone is wave there hands that means stop and help or get help?????Comman sense ...My 02 is if you want to play with your water toys play in your tub.......NOT ON THE LAKE ...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Its terrible to hear stories like that. These are people that
know right from wrong and make a conscious choice to do
wrong. Unfortunatley ,its been my experience that people
really dont change. Those 18-20 year olds will grow up just
like the mom and still be A-holes. The driver of that Offshore,
if he dosn,t die in a accident, will still be an A-hole when he
is 70. What can you do. Kick butt and you will undoubtedly
be the one in trouble. I guess you can only have some
comfort in knowing that eventually , what comes around
goes around. Its just the way things work.

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
QUOTE(MrsSunbum @ Jul 7 2003, 05:19 PM)On the South Channel, downriver from Walkers.
I'm gonna have to pay more attention next time. I read that it was for sale and someone bought it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts