Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyway to stop pop-ups WITHOUT having to pay 20 bucks?

I get those dang MSN Messenger Pop-ups like crazy - left my computer on this weekend and I had over 100 of them...what a pain in the neck....

What to do, What to do...

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
KEWL...quick download, too
Thanks.

I knew LSCN PEEPS would know - someone ALWAYS has the answer HERE!

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
dang!! SUPER THANKS!!! i'd been thinking about asking around here, too!
thanks to both ya chickas!!

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Just a note about the popup blocker that they don't tell you.... if there's a popup that you need to see (like if you're playing a game or something) just hold CONTROL when you're loading that particular page and it will allow the popup.

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
what do you mean, 'a pop up you need to see?'

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE(Gaz @ Jul 29 2003, 12:13 AM)Saleena . . . I have to ask. What does the symbol stand for?
See White Buffalo thread

It's the Chinese Symbol for Happiness...

Well, I was typing a long email message, and I got THREE pop-ups within five minutes...and that is AFTER downloading the popup blocker...hmmmm....NEXT SUGGESTION?

I guess there is a reason Capt'n Mike is asking if it is Windows messenger or MSN Messenger...I haven't the foggiest...but wait thirty seconds and I am sure I'll be able to answer
They really, really p*ss me off...

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
well sometimes when you click on a link it'll open up in a new page... this popup blocker may even prevent that sometimes. if it blocks a page that tries to pop up as a result of you clicking on a link just click the link again while holding CONTROL... that bypasses the blocker.

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
ah! i see.

saleena, try shutting down and reinstalling...worked for me. there should be a little green wiget in the corner.

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My widget was RED

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
I have some POS named GAIN network from some "free" software I downloaded. I guess along with the software I get a pop-up every once in a while that isn't blocked by that program. Now if I can fiqure out which program I downloaded.....

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
I hate when free downloads bog ya down with all sorts of b.s. too. I use a spyware detection program AND a program called CleanUp every few days to help weed through that junk

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
Do the pop-ups looks like this?

If so, you can stop these without any special sofware. You just need to disable windows messenger, which should be okay as long as you're not on a network.

Follow this link for instructions on how to turn off the messenger in all different versions of Windows.

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
Pam and Deuce are absolutely right about the "spyware" that bogs down your PC. Gator, Gain, Comet, eZula -- you do NOT want these on your machine. ANd it's very possible that you do have them on there and you don't know it. We did! Zone Alarm pointed it out when they tried to access the internet, and I said, WTF?

So I installed SpyBot Search & Destroy and it found like 11 different privacy killers, and then smoked them for me. Great software!

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
I got Pop-Up Stopper Pro off Kazaa for free.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts