Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I give up, computer feeze's up whenever it wants. Sometimes even typing emails or just plain old surfing.

-Scan disk finds no problems.
-Disk defrag wont run past 0% complete.
-Windows updater (I have Windows ME) freezes when I try to update.
-Try to configure FrontPage 2000 to work off the server adn not a local file and it freezes up when I try to open the site.
-If the computer sit's for a period of time, instead of going into "Stand-by" mode, it freezes on the desk top.
-McAfee is current and says system is clean.
-Spy-Bot is current and shows nothing that it hasnt shown for the last 2 years.
-Ad-aware is current and has caught and deleted 44 "items" but the problem has been happening before this was done.
-CD-burner wont recognize cd's and wont burn. Doesnt matter if it is trying to make a cd from internal material or from the outside. Just wont work.

What else can I do or what can I check to correct this or is it time to take it in and have it serviced and "cleaned"?

As I find more times that it freeze's, I am going to EDIT this post. Perhaps eventually me, or someone more computer savey than I will see a trend.

Also, when doing a Ctrl-Alt-Delete (when it freezes, not even tis works. I have to turn off power to the cpu) to see what programs are running, which ones should be running just after start-up? I have 21 running and I dont have any idea what most of them are.

Here are the ones showing:
Task Panel, Explorer, Mpftray, Rnathchk, Wuauclt, Hpzipm12, Hpqtra08, Hptskmgr, Mpfagent, Hpcmpmgr, Quickdcf, Plguni, Qttask, Mcagent, Hpwuschd, Devgulp, Systray, Mcvsrte, Conmgr, Mcvsescn, Type32

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
Get Rid Of McAfee & Get Norton 2003 or 04!
Sounds like a virus to me <_<
Hmmm......you need to download systemworks too. I've had this problem. Every computer place tells me that McAfee doesn't pick up things like it should.

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
How long has this been happening?

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
You have 1 option left. Format the computer and get rid of ME!!!!!!!

Put Windows 2000 or XP on and your life will be a lot better my friend.

If you are intersted in having this done, shoot me a PM.

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
go to RUN, type MSCONFIG and click STARTUP uncheck everything but your McAfee programs. click APPLY and let the computer restart. You might have an error with one of the running programs...

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
annoyances.org is a great resource for ME troubleshooting

ALSO - take off your screensaver when running a defrag - and before you do the defrag to a thorough disk scan, versus the default quickie one

BUT - do check out that web site - it's great!

good luck!

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
QUOTE(makowish @ Jul 23 2004, 12:44 PM)How long has this been happening?
This bad, about 3 weeks now.

I will look into Norton and systemworks.

Can I run Norton with System works and McAfee with Personal Firewall at the smae time?

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
Where do you live? Are you ever out on the water? Maybe this weekend? I could meet up with you and give you a copy

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
QUOTE(makowish @ Jul 23 2004, 12:51 PM)Where do you live? Are you ever out on the water? Maybe this weekend? I could meet up with you and give you a copy

That would be great. We live in Sterling Hgts (15/Ryan) and the boat is at Harbor CLub North. In fact, I'll be there today from about 5pm till ? With Tango 7 looking at a few things. Might even get out later today for a quick cruise. I work afternoons this weekend, but can meet you on the water either day before 1pm. Just let me know when and where.

Here is my cell phone 586-944-8535

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
QUOTE(PyrateJim @ Jul 23 2004, 11:48 AM)QUOTE(makowish @ Jul 23 2004, 12:44 PM) How long has this been happening?

Can I run Norton with System works and McAfee with Personal Firewall at the smae time?
I'll set you up. Call me when you get out there. I'm live at 16 & Jefferson. 586-292-1770.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE(makowish @ Jul 23 2004, 12:58 PM)QUOTE(PyrateJim @ Jul 23 2004, 11:48 AM) QUOTE(makowish @ Jul 23 2004, 12:44 PM) How long has this been happening?

I'll set you up. Call me when you get out there. I'm live at 16 & Jefferson. 586-292-1770.
Will do. Thanks bunches. Talk to you later tonite.

Jim

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to EVERYONE. I am checking out websites suggested and steps to follow. Basically, I am trying everything that wont destroy the hard drive contents as I cant make a backup cd right now as I cant burn anything.

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
i've been having a small problem, too, when running the internet. lately when i have just outlook express,google, LSCN & a PM, it'll freeze. when i ctl+alt+del to get rid of just the pm, ALL the internet closes.

sometimes it freezes up (just the internet), too. could/should i do the same stuff that ya'll suggested to pyrate jim?

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(surfergirlck @ Jul 23 2004, 01:15 PM)sometimes it freezes up (just the internet), too. could/should i do the same stuff that ya'll suggested to pyrate jim?
This was constantly happening to me last time I wiped out my hard drive and decided to reformat it to NTFS. Turns out Windows XP sometimes has a problem with NTFS. I changed it back to FAT 32 and it hasn't done it since.

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
Might not hurt. The more programs you have running at startup, the longer it takes the pc to load and the slower it will run.

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
snowbi,i have XP. how do i do the fat thing? and don't say 'keep eating.'

i'll just head that smart arse off at the pass!

ihave no programs running at start up. norton, and 2 sound things if that's what you're talkin' about, mako.

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(surfergirlck @ Jul 23 2004, 01:22 PM)snowbi,i have XP. how do i do the fat thing? and don't say 'keep eating.'
Is your hard drive formatted to NTFS?

It requires you to wipe out your entire hard drive and reinstall everything, so I don't know if you want to go that drastic just yet.

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
Do you have spyware programs?
That slows computers too!
Try downloading Spybot or something in that nature to scan your PC.

·
Registered
9 Posts
In my opinion, compared to FAT32, the NTFS file system is generally faster, more stable and loses less files due to lost/mismatched pointers etc. I'm guessing computers that run better after downgrading from NTFS probably do so because the hard drive was formatted and the operating system was re-loaded.

Spyware, viruses, and adware reak havoc on computers - not to mention the number of legit programs installed and removed from computers constantly. Reloading the OS cleans all of this stuff out, leaving a lean clean computer that can scream without wasting time running all the unwanted programs.

Regarding Internet Explorer: many say it is the least reliable and most insecure web browser available. Other web browsers, like Mozilla Firefox or Opera's web browser are much less likely to install viruses, spyware, and adware.

Just my opinions - but a clean computer running Windows 2000 or Windows XP with a web browser other then Internet Explorer runs much better (faster & less crashes) then anything else.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
I've never heard of any problems with NTFS over FAT32 either.

Definately run a virus scan and search for spyware.

if you don't have updated virus definitions update them,
or get this free Virus Scanner : AVG Antivirus

Run a defrag on your hard disk.

make sure you have all the critical system updates from Microsoft installed. (Windows Update)

If computers are locking up and freezing randomly sometimes its hardware. You may want to run a memory test. If your lockups or crashes are always when you do a certain thing, like start up Internet Explorer or whatever then its probably software. When I had memory problems, my likelyhood of crashes was much higher when playing games, video editing, or any other memory intesive operations.

2 good free memory testers:
Windows Memory Diagnostic
Memtest86
both will need to create a bootable floppy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts