Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a qustion about fishing in colder weather, yes the temps are getting up and around the 50's and 60's but its still getting down to the 20's and 30's or so, is being concerned about warmer day's and cold night a big deal as far as the boat motor goes, such as getting down below freezing being not a good thing for the motor, and if it is how do you handle it,,,,,,,,,,,,, New boat owner, just wondering if it is even worth my worry................ Thanks for any reply......

·
Registered
666 Posts
For my outboard when taking the boat out of the water I lower the motor and let the water drain out of the motor while I clean the boat off. Put the motor tote back on and head home. I/O or inboard you you have other stuff that should be done.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
When water (h2o lol) freeze's it expand's so you risk cracking what ever the water is in like pump's and whatever. Keeping boat in garage help's. One key that can help is if you think it's frozen DON'T START IT!!!! let it completely thaw first. We winterize to protect it so there's not much differance when temps fall below freezing check your owner's manual, call a repair shop and ask pretaining to your motor. Know what's going on and protect your investment not to say costly repair's and waiting.

h2o<---says do it right.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
If you have an outboard, when the rig is parked, trim the motor as far down as possible to drain the motors system. Once the water has drained you don`t have to worry about your motor freezing. Just remember to trim it back up and attach a transom saver before taking off.

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
Czar you are right. With this type of weather with the daytime in the 40s and 50s the motor will not freeze up over night but be sure to put ir down so the water will drain fron the pump. Bob

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank's all for the reply, I do keep my boat in the garage so it might not get as cold as outdoor storage, i thought about a electric blanket and now that i know i would not be the only one doing it i think i will do so........ just getting a little on edge them Walleye are calling to me,,,,,,so ah again thanks for the reply......need to hear that the eye's are being naild............................. Good luck to all

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
On top of what is posted already, I start the motor up once get home to blow out any water that has not drained out. I only run dry for a second or two, any longer and you can do more harm then good.

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
Good Tip Alex

·
Registered
164 Posts
Do not....FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.....wrap your motor with an electric blanket... I got that bright idea last fall after reading it on a post and thought "cool idea, I can get another couple days of fishing in for the eyes before it frezzes up"

Well electric blankets aren't made to be "wrapped"....When you do this it causes the elements to short out, and as in my case, you get a nice vist from the fire dept.!! Going to be about 60 hours worth of labor to get it back into the water...and I haven't even had time to start on it yet.

It takes temps into the teens and low 20's for a prolonged period of time to frezze up.. I think you wouldn't have anything to worry about now.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Wow salmonslammer, Sorry to hear about that. how old was the blanket. How did it short out. Amazing.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I`ve used a light bulb before. I found that those painting lights w/the silver collar work well.just plug it in and clip it to the transom , just enough heat to keep thinks from freezing.

·
Registered
164 Posts
This was on an outboard, so maybe that makes the difference. I had the lower unit wrapped up. I think the blanket was about 7 years old and it shorted out in the cord above the brain box on it.. IMO the stupid things should be outlawed..I know I'll never own another one!

Good idea with the lights..I know my 250w halogen work lamp kicks out alot of heat.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok note to self do not use electric blanket,,, bad really bad, i think i will follow the light bulb trick ,,,,,,,,,, Thanx......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts