Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
soft jerk bait- pearl super fluke with a 4/0 Gamakatsu EWG hook- hard jerk bait- smithwick rogue, gold orange belly on cloudy days, shad colored on clear days.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Chrome with black back, or perch colored. It depends where you are fishing. One thing is for sure in fishing, MATCH the natural forage of the lake, you are trying to fool a fish into thinking that hunk of plastic is real. The same goes for size, match the length of the baitfish also. Remember, there are no absolute rules in fishing, and the wildest colored bait, sometimes is the hottest. It's up to you to figure out what they eat on that specific lake. I think the action you put on your jerkbait is the most important factor. Make that bait dance, almost like fishing a spook underwater, and you'll increase your catch rate. They are my favorite bait to fish, but after 8 hours they take a toll on you. Rob

·
Registered
83 Posts
The number one size and color is the one you have the most confidence in. I am a firm believer that if you think you will catch fish, you will. For the record, bomber long A, 4 1/2 inch in white and red. Pearl white Zoom super fluke for soft jerkbaits.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree with the confidence factor. I have one Kevin Van Dam suspending Bomber in blueback, silver sides and orange belly that has produced for me for years. I have one left of several and they don't make them any more so I'm careful with this one. The pearl white fluke is hot and the shiner colored Fin-s Fish is a must have.

·
Registered
927 Posts
i like smithwick rogues for a hard bait. i throw a few colors depending on lake, time of year, and current weather conditions.

for a sunny day, i do well with a chrome, with black back and orange belly.

partyly sunny days, i will usually throw a gold, with black back and orange belly.

cloudy days i throw a chartruese with purple back. its a good color for cloudy conditions and it has a mat finish so it puts out a good siloette(sp?) when the fish are looking up at a white sky.

for a soft jerkbait i throw madmans new split tail shad. these things are amazing to say the least. you can check them out on the madman website. they have a bunch of good colors. i use volcano the most. i think it looks like a baby bass thats bleeding. it seems to be hot right now on a few lakes.

madman himself

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
My number one jerkbait is the XPS Suspending ferom Bass Pro. I have caught a 6 pounder each of the last three years on them this time of year.

I also still throw the bomber KVD suspending, usually in clown. I do have a few of these left (about a dozen) in both colors. FYI Bomber brought these back finally! They are the 15a Pro Series and have a few Timmy Hortn signatures.

Lucky Craft pointers are also effective, as are Rouges.

Softjerkbaits - XPS Twin Tailed Shad in Baby Bass, Albino Shad (looks like a spot tail) or Pearl. Throw it on a Mustad UltraPoint Mega Bite or Mega Tube hook. The size depends on the wind and the rate of fall I am looking for. Usually 2/0, 3/0 or 4/0.

Mini

·
Registered
88 Posts
I thought I was the only one to save the KVD series bombers for future use. I'm down to about 3 dozen left total of all three colors. Perch rules on St. Clair. They'll never match that perch color again. I lose too many to pike bite offs, and some also get leaks and fill with water, killing the action. Does anyone try to save those, with a coating of something, or just trash them. Rob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts