Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Gander Mt should carry a brand call "Backwoods". I've used it many time and it makes great jerky. You can get it in original, hickory, mesquite or hot. I prefered the original with just a little of the hot mixed in. Good stuff. http://www.lemproducts.com/

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
while I was at the woods and water news weekend in imlay city, ferrari and sons was there selling seasonings and jerky mix. they are at 148 n groesbeck in mt. clemens. phone number 586-790-1800

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(Top Gun @ Oct 7 2009, 07:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>while I was at the woods and water news weekend in imlay city, ferrari and sons was there selling seasonings and jerky mix. they are at 148 n groesbeck in mt. clemens. phone number 586-790-1800

I went to gander and got some of there mix last night. It is soaking right now. There was five flavor combo pack by high mountain. ''i believe was the brand'' Its going in the dehydrator tonight.

·
Premium Member
19,196 Posts
QUOTE(wallysteve @ Oct 8 2009, 04:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>this batch is a little thicker meat should it still be a little soft in the center or does it need cooked longer

how do you like it? This depends on you. Refrigerate for safety and if you like it drier do it longer next time.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
This is my favorite venison jerky recipe. Got it off the michigan-sportsman site. Since trying this, I don't make any other kind. I leave the liquid smoke out and process it in my smoker using a mix of apple and alder chips. Just my variation.

A little "HEAT" to your Jerkey

1/4 c. Brown Sugar
1/2 tsp. Liquid Smoke
1/2 c. Soy Sauce
1/4 c. Teriyaki Sauce
3/4 tsp Coarse Ground Blk. Pepper
1/2 tsp. Tobasco Sauce
3/4 tsp. Cayanne Pepper
1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp. Onion Powder
1/2 c. Honey
1-2 chopped Japalleno Peppers

Marinade 1/4 inch thick strips overnight in mixture (1 gallon zip-lock baggie)
Hang strips on 2 wire cooling racks wired together to form a t-pee on a large foil lined cookie sheet in a LOW oven (165*-185*) for about 8 hours or so.

Leave oven door propped open about an inch or so with a wooden spoon wedged at the top opening. Check and rotate strips of meat on horizontial wires every 3 hours or so to dry evenly. Try not to allow the strips of marinated meat to touch each other while curing on the wire rack to help in evenly curing.

You can adjust the "HEAT" of the jerky marinade to your own liking,.. the recipie above is a very even low heat value (for me anyhow!) I will ALSO add habenero peppers for my own liking to the above mixture.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
As far as how long to let it cook I generally have no set time but check on it every fifteen minutes or so after about 45 minutes of cooking and the smaller thinner pieces i take off first. But as chef said you have to do it the way you like it. If you want it tough leave it on there for a while if you want it mushy cook it less. But if it is mushy I too would recommend refrigerating it.

·
Registered
491 Posts
General rule of thumb 1/8 inch pieces should cook at 200 degrees for 1.5 to 2 hours depending on how you prefer the meat, smoke on if using a smoker. If you don't already have one, I highly recommend a propane smoker for ease of use/heat control.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts