Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much of a wake should I expect from my waverunner? I have a 99' Yamaha GP1200. It has less than 40 hrs on it and runs tip top. However I feel bad idling through the marina because of the wake it kicks up. Granted because of its size the wake is not enough to unsettle any boats. I just bought it last year from a lady who rarely ever used it. It has a digital tach, which seems to fluctuate around 1,000 rpm or so. Hard to tell exactly because it seems to bounce up and down quite a bit.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
On the PWC, I just go with the "slow" part of slow, no wake. You make less wake at WOT than you do going slow. On mine, with a full tank of gas and some beverages in the front storage compartment, it doesn't like to idle or go slow. I just give it enough throttle to handle sea conditions (which is usually about the biggest wake it can possibly make on a normal day outside the harbor). In the river or a harbor where it's protected and calm, I just idle or go a little faster than idle.

·
Vendor
12,824 Posts
My jetboat idles at 1050rpm and sometimes it looks like I put out too much make at times. Especially when I am in a marina like Belle Maer or MacRays and you got some mega yacht boaters peering out at me. I usually just take it out of gear for a moment to slow even more then back in to go. All manufactures are gonna be different. Plus you have the jet propulsion almost at the surface of the water unlike an outdrive of a boat that is below the water a couple feet. I think it appears to be putting a wake out more than anything.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts