Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in the jet boat forum, but it's not visited regularly, so I thought I'd try here.

I have a 99 Yamaha Exciter 270 jetboat. I had JetCraft Unlimited summerize my boat, check compression, & some other little things. Mike said compression is good, plugs were good, I should be 'good to go!'

I put it in the water today, it started up no problem, I let it run a little, then took off down the North Channel. It ran fine from the DNR launch in Algonac til about Sassy Marine, then my starboard motor shut down. It started right back up again, ran fine at idle, & when I put it in gear. As soon as I throttle forward, it stalls. There are no weeds in it.

Any ideas what could be wrong?? My best guess is plugs or fuel filter. Am I on the right track? Any help will be appreciated!!

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Sounds like it is starving for fuel. Just to clarify - did you fill the tank with fresh gas this year? I had problems with water in the gas once - and the weird thing is, it only affected one engine even though they ran off a common tank. Air, fuel, spark - sounds like you have the first and third, I'd look at the fuel part of the equation.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. I put 20 gallons of Sunoco in it on the way to the launch. From the PWC forum & a Yamaha forum I frequent, all suggestions are leading towards fuel filter, fuel lines, carburator, and/or spark plugs.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(hammer @ Jun 28 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>get it going? what was the outcome?

The plugs were real bad, the 2 rear plug caps were broken on the inside. Mike told me the plugs were OK. They had those caps off to check the compression. I told him I would have gladly paid to have that stuff replaced when it was at his shop.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts