Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of painting up some jigs for walleye fishing in preparation for the spring run on the Detroit River (where having a lot of them is essential) and I found that some of my paints have thickened a lot over the fall and winter. Because of this I am in need of a lot of the thinner that is used with the vinyl paints that we use to paint the jigs with.

My question is, does anyone know of a place to get this thinner in larger quantities than the one ounce bottles that they sell in the catalogs or stores. These little bottles cost $3.00 for that one ounce which is more than I have ever payed for the best scotch I have ever bought. I don't mind paying $3.20 for the paints per one ounce but the thinner is quite different, especially when I need as much of it as I need. Any advice would be appreciated,

Jim

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I have cameraguy and I do like the powder too. Except for burning some of the colors accasionally it is very easy and quick to use. It is just that I have a lot of the paints left over from last year and in all my favorite colors that I would like to use them.

I received an answer to my question from another site I visit. The suggestion was to use acetone or toluene or a product called MEK. I am going to pick up some acetone today and give it a try.

Thanks for the suggestion,

Jim

·
Registered
31 Posts
Acetone and MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) are fairly innocuous in comparison to toluene (a carcinogen) - I'd go with one of the first two. Acetone can be bought as nail polish remover at any store.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks MichiganRocks,

for the warning on toluene. I planned on picking up the acetone today but might have taken the toluene if I couldn't get it.

Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts