Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hello there! Me and my pops are going out this weekend, i was wondering if anybody has any suggestions on jig type size color ect. also waxies spike minnow minnow head or whole minnow. any advice would be highly appreciated! thanks and good fishing! fishing for perch sorry about that!

·
Registered
697 Posts
kinda depends on what ur going for. if ur gonna use minnows, i would use a whole one. u can catch perch on any of those baits. sometimes they will want a minnow, sometimes a spike. my favorite bait is wigglers but i dont think anyone is carrying those yet. just about any kinda jig could work, u gotta be willing to try different kinds at different times.
ive never targeted gills through the ice, but i think guys use tiny teardrop jigs, preferebly ones that glow. probably tip the jig with a spike or mousie.
im not as familiar with jig types and names as some of these other guys. someone will post some better advice than i did im sure.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Best advice I can give you is to go over to one of our sponsors stores Like:
nautical mile bp ask for jackie
Anglers point ask for jerry
M&M outdoors
Joes bait and tackle
Jimmy's Bait
talk to the guys or gals in there and they have a pretty good idea what jigs and what is working. They all have a great selection of tackle and great minnow counts. Last year I was using minnows on perch. Caught a lot of them they were just dinks. It didn't really matter what color jig i used it was dink, dink, dink. Good Luck Hope to hear a good report.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I found that it's always good to have an assortment of different sizes from x-small-small size jigs. It's always good to have a many different colors from dark to light and glow jigs. As far as bait goes I would get 100 waxworms, 100 spikes, 100 mousies. You don't need all 3 but 2 should get you threw the ice season if you go often. Just remember to store them in the fridge. If a full minnow doesn't work trying using a minnow head and see if that works. The size of your jig, color, and type of bait can all be determining factors in getting a fish to bite or not.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Your best bet this time of year would be tear-drops, which can be bought any bait store. Tip that with a minnow or wax worm, and you should get something. I would also suggest small jigging spoons. Those are best right when you drill a new hole, seems to get the aggressive fish out quick.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Your going to have to experiment, dont be afraid to change colors. The newest thing is the glow jigs. Fish a teardop with a bug on it next to a flashy spoon with a minnnow or minnow head. Jig the spoon and deadstick the teardrop.

Draino

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.