Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you guys had any experiences with these good, bad, or indifferent? What do I pay them a fee or something? AND...do they have goodjobs to offer or not?

If anyone has had a good experience with a company that is local (East Side) - oops - just thought of Goose - lol! anyways, do you guys have any recommendations for someone in this area that is a good head hunter or job hunter or whatever?

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I wouldn't pay any recruiter EVER! There are tons of recruiters that get paid by the companies they represent. If they need to get paid by you, then they aren't working hard enough.
I know a few speciality recruiters, what field are you looking in?

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
It seems its easier to get an interview going through a recruiter, I've dealt with a few of them lately and have had a few opportunities that I probably wouldn't have had without.. go for it, but Moneyshot is right, you shouldn't have to pay for anything!

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
what moneyshot said! dont ever pay any of them the ones with actual openings get paid by the company to find the right people. I've worked contract for a couple of different companys now all you need to do is send in your resume and start talking to them and see what they may have open. I would prefer a real full time job with company so I can accrue vacation and benefits but in this economy ya take what ya can. so here's who I've worked for most are the same but money offer and benefits may differ:

Aerotek-twice,cad designer, big company good rep. nationwide.
Epcom in troy, small, one main account, design engineer @ General Dynamics
d. Diversified Tech in Southfiled doing a week-to-week gig with Molex Auto in Auburn hills.
currently design engineer thru STI in Novi placed @ unisys in plymouth.

also try:
RDS, Inc.
future tech
modern engineering
MSX, intl
basically look on MONSTER.com in the detroit area and you see any that have openings.

Here the best way to talk to most of them in metro detroit, go to a job fair there's always one in Troy somewhere. the job fairs are usually 90% headhunters 10% actual companys HR people. Wear your interview clothes or at least business casual and bring lots of resumes and a copy on disk they can download. I've a business card stack two inches high from all the recruiters in metro detroit. Almost all recruiters do hiring for all types of white collar and blue collar work so in detroit you get lots that actaully specialize in automotive this includes all engineering types, accounting marketing, reception, you get the idea.

My opinion they are all middle men and are encroaching on my ability to make more money in my field. The idea of these companies is that they have the network to talk to the HR people at the company with the opening and that company goes to them looking to save time and money by hiring people on contract that they can get easily rid of when the project is done after 6-months to a year or whatever. damm bloodsuckers. but oh well what are ya gonna do.....do I sound bitter? <_<

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for your input!

thanks Moneyshot for getting my resume out there to your connections. Much appreciated!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Shannon,

The company I'm with now hires through recruiters exclusively. Going through a recruiter is a good way to get into a company that you may not have otherwise been able to approach.

I was brought in by Aerotek Inc. They are located on 13 mile in Warren. I'll e-mail you some contact info.

Marke

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I happen to work for one of the "blood-sucking" agencies listed... I work for the largest division of Aerotek. While I am not in the "Agency or Staffing" business, it is where my roots are...
We are a company that gets people jobs... While we do make money, I would say "bloodsuckers" is a little bit overboard.
We have a cost of doing business just like any other organization. A lot goes into finding technical talent and getting them jobs in Fortune 1000 clients.... It's not as easy as it seems.
Now, if someone would like help, on a contract or permanent basis, I would be glad to point them in the right direction.

I don't want to start an argument, but as a company of people that find people jobs, we take it as a pretty noble profession.
PM me if I can help in any way.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Shannon,

The Aerotek info is on the way.

If you have any other questionsabout Aerotek, it sounds like Waxonwaxoff is your man

Marke

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Sorry didn't mean too offend, wax. I'm just bitter about people that tell you one thing and blow smoke up.... well let's just say I'm a little jaded after having to go thru the tedious and stressful interviewing process every year for the past three, it gets old quick. Truth be told Aerotek always treated me very fair as long as i knew what i was worth and what the client was willing to pay for my services. But then I've always been on the employee side of things and have to fight to get myself the best rate possible knowing that job security is a myth these days. I guess I look at it in an adversarial way. Plus my current contract is in question at this point. man I can ramble on?

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Cad,
No offense taken... Unfortunately, we always take the brunt of the employment issue... Truth be told, we want to put EVERYONE to work, because it is how we make money... A lot of times, we are told one thing by clients, and then things change... So I guess I will put all the blame on the clients, and none on us god fearing, never done anything wrong employment agencies...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts