Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner

Jobbie Nooner

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Bill272 
#1 ·
I am new to the area and I plan to launch a 25' boat the Thursday night. What is the best spot to put in so I can burn as little fuel as possible and how can I get to Gull Island without bottoming out? Any and all help is appreciated.

#3 ·
best way to get to gull is to take the shipping channel, but you will have to hang a left when you get out of the channel or you will end up at seaway. also you need to know when to exit the channel because it can go from deep to very shallow quickly. I would recomend going with someone who knows the lake.

#4 ·
I never found Gull to be tricky as long as you look at a chart. its pretty apparent where not to go.

not like getting into Muskamoot where its not so obvious by looking at a chart.

G
#5 ·
You're going to need a chart, there's a few areas to look out for. When you get to the island, if there are already a lot of boats there, but there's a big area that's completely open, there's usually a reason. Like it's a foot deep. You also want to avoid Sand Island which is under water now, but not by much. It's out in the lake near middle channel. If that doesn't mean much to you, you need a chart. Really Jobbienooner isn't the ideal time to head out on the lake for the first time as it's a rafting and anchoring zoo.

As for launches, Metro Beach is probably the closest but is a long no-wake ride to the lake. Harley Ensign is a little farther north, but if you beeline it Gull, you can easily have a bad encounter with Sand Is. You would probably burn the same amount of fuel from either launch, but my advice would be to top off the tank and don't worry about fuel consumption. Instead worry about if you have an adequate sized anchor or two, docklines, and fenders.

Good luck and welcome to the site.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.