Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Just curious about your Jobbie experience. Been there myself the last 3 or 4 years, and enjoyed it. It's a little hectic getting situated, but after that it was cool. Last year the JN's were a little more organized than in the past. So let's hear all of you experiences, good or bad.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Hmmm..Last year comes to mind. We were anchored out and tied up to about 8 32ft. plus boats. As the storm rolled in, there was a 24ft cuddy cabin boat that was KINDA anchored with 1 passenger. The 58 yr.old beer belly skipper was in the island hitting on some 20 yr. old trixy. After several requests of asking the passenger to PLEASE get out of the boat and tie up to anything...something... he ignored us. As the storm became more active, we really began to get on this guy's case. He still would not take action. After we were now screaming at this guy...he told me he couldn't swim. I really felt bad for screaming at him after hearing he was afraid of the water. I had no shoes on....as I was CAREFULLY walking from boat to boat to jump in...I slipped and landed VERY HARD on the bow of my friends Sea Ray...NOW I was really pi$$ed off and in big time pain.

There was a 40ft Sea Ray 5 ft. away from this guy and they wouldn't even help him out. They sat and watched the whole thing. Then all of the sudden another 24ft. cuddy cabin became unanchored with nobody on board. The winds blew this thing around like a little toy. the only good thing was that we met LOUD 454 and his crew. We let him tie up next to us and had all of his crew come aboard our boat...VERY COOL PEOPLE .... and the 40 ft Sea Ray that refused to help out.... also became un-anchored and they were scrambling in the heavy rains to get things back on track. After smashing into about 3 boats and doing some big time damage to thier boat... they finally just left. We sat back poured another drink and turned some Buffett tunes and just shook our heads. I have been going to Jobby and Fisher Bay since 1986 and last year was my worst. Oh well ....Changes in attitudes...Changes in lattitudes...nothing remains quite the same.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Last year was my first year and it was a good time. No boats around me came unhooked, I didn't find anyone that wasn't supposed to be on my boat on it. Nothing got stolen. I didn't step on any feces, condoms, broken glass, etc. I'm not saying it wasn't there but I didn't look for it so maybe I didn't see it.

Anyway, we will go again this year and hope lots of LCSN peeps join us. The more of there are rafted up together the less you have to worry about your boat. I would think we all have proper fenders, lines, common frickin' sense that it should be a great day for everyone!

My .02 for whatever it's worth!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Hmmm, lemme think... Two years ago, got there early in the morning. Pulled up on the SouthEast side and stayed the day. The day was uneventful as far as problems went, but later in the afternoon a girl in one of the boats behind us go too close to a stainless prob and put a good gash on her leg. First aid was applied but she needed stitches. This was before the lane was kept open. I, being tall, walked out to where the Sheriff was attempting to come in on his Boston Whaler and walked him in thru all the anchor lines. Had to walk my boat out too when it was time for us to leave.

Last year, Achored a little farther away from shore. Same side. Helped a few other, anchoring challenged people, get properly hooked and rafted around us. When the storm blew in, I was putting up the final piece of canvas when I noticed this 23 footer drift by with apparently no one on board. I jumped back in and grabed ahold of it to stop it from bashing any other boats. As I was putting a line to the bow of it I noticed movement on it. I went around and there was two guys down in the cuddy staying out of the rain. I hollered and told them they were adrift so they both came out. Thanked me so catching them. Then went in search of thier anchor. As I went back to secure the line better to my stern cleat, lightning cracked less than 50 feet from us. I literly flew back into my boat. The two anchoring challenged went in search of thier anchor. It apparently had been cut. I figure they weren't real popular where ever they had originally been anchored. After the storm blew past, I took a walk to the island. As I got up by the beach, there was small fishing type fiberglass boat with two large fellers and one drunk chick sitting in it. She was tossing all their beer cans out of the boat and the guys were watching to see if anyone said anything with the obvious outcome being they wanted to start a fight. I simply shook my head and continued on.

I didn't make it to J2 last year. We drove by but didn't stop. Went over to Basset instead and had a nice quiet day.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
We always walk the boat in through the anchor lines, get there early. We had 10 people on the Moneyshot. Had a few strays on the boat, nothing big though. the boat got trashed, but we have black carpet, so it was ok. I think last year we went overboard on Jello shots. couldn't get rid of all of them. Dawnie Dawn and I had like 2 giant coolers full. She ran out of cups, so she made this giant one in a tupperware bowl, I do recall seeing her try to gulp it down in one bite much later in the day!! It was Classic. LOL

·
Registered
954 Posts
Thanks spider that was me on the little grady white you walked in 2 years ago. she got her stiches and was fine. funny thing was on the way a girl popped her top and said " you can't write me a ticket your on a medical run". Told her to put on her top, because it wasn't worth viewing. She got mad and turned around.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
QUOTE(Gary864 @ Jun 12 2003, 10:24 AM)Thanks spider that was me on the little grady white you walked in 2 years ago. she got her stiches and was fine. funny thing was on the way a girl popped her top and said " you can't write me a ticket your on a medical run". Told her to put on her top, because it wasn't worth viewing. She got mad and turned around.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Well this is a fine "how do ya do"...I finally get a boat(been a Jobbie since '80) I couldn't make last years because my mother was dying, busted myself at work to get enough Brownie points to get the day off(you know why the call them Brownie points?), bought 6 cases of beer, food and all the goodies and are stocked on the boat, gas tank full, water tank full, holding tank empty, I am all juiced up to go and it sounds like the things I always avoid. Dont get me wrong, I am not a stuffed shirt, but I dont want to party in the college dorm format. The descriptions here are enough for me to find an "adults alternative".

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Bassneck-

I went to JN last year for the first time and expected the worst ( by what everyone was telling me) but had a pretty un-eventful day!

it's all what you make of it and there are some that make it trashy but not everyone.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
QUOTE(Bassneck @ Jun 12 2003, 10:47 AM)Well this is a fine "how do ya do"...I finally get a boat(been a Jobbie since '80) I couldn't make last years because my mother was dying, busted myself at work to get enough Brownie points to get the day off(you know why the call them Brownie points?), bought 6 cases of beer, food and all the goodies and are stocked on the boat, gas tank full, water tank full, holding tank empty, I am all juiced up to go and it sounds like the things I always avoid. Dont get me wrong, I am not a stuffed shirt, but I dont want to party in the college dorm format. The descriptions here are enough for me to find an "adults alternative".
Bassneck, its like Puppetshow says. I always still enjoy going. I like bringing friends along and let them have a worry free day. I don't drink at all on these days and let the other people have a good time without worrying about driving etc... Don't let our tales of stupidity bother you. Its like I once heard a Cop saying about the 50th Anniversary of Sturgis, South Dakota. He said "You put this many boy scouts together and eventually there will be trouble". Its unavoidable. Just do what you need to do so it isn't you being the one in trouble. Besides, getting to see all those beads being awarded is worth the trip.....

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well said. I think if all the LSCN'ers stick together or find a spot to raft off, we'll all have a good time. If it sucks, we'll go somewhere else.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
QUOTE(Mr. Big @ Jun 12 2003, 11:18 AM)Well said. I think if all the LSCN'ers stick together or find a spot to raft off, we'll all have a good time. If it sucks, we'll go somewhere else.
We'll make it a good time. Check out the Beachhouse for my suggestion on where to put the raft!

·
Registered
718 Posts
I've been a jobbie since the mid 70's...going to these parties since the mid 80's (when it was held in Fisher Bay). Remember Fisher Bay anybody??? It use to be just like Muscamoot Bay. The bigest problems (fortuneately) I've ever had is there's always some idot who thinks its OK to try and raft off you with fenders about as useful as a wet tampon. But I do have to admit, the last couple of years has gotten a little out of hand. But just like anywhere when you get that many drunks together your going to have a few problems. But also...all in all it's still a lot of fun. Hope to see a lot of you LSCN peeps rafted on the NORTH end of the island.

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
question: does anyone here have anything to do with the jobbienooner.com? it just occured to me that inkslingers (see problems other thread) were working on a log for them, too. i saw the logos, but don't really want anyone else to encounter the problems i did with them.

as for me at jobbie nooner: had a blast each time i went!!! i don't know if i like the band thing, tho.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Last year a boat ran over my buddies brand new anchor line. Instead of jumping in and unwrapping it from the prop they cut it. My buddy stands there pissed off and wanting to know who is going to pay for his lost anchor and line and they just tell him be grateful no one was hurt and leave him afloat.

·
Registered
622 Posts
QUOTEMr. Big Posted: Jun 12 2003, 10:18 AM

Well said. I think if all the LSCN'ers stick together or find a spot to raft off, we'll all have a good time. If it sucks, we'll go somewhere else.

Its nice to see real people sticking together, I may have to just see for myself how all this goes, and help in being the LSCN force that needs to show everyone how its done. I thank you all for your input and comments.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts