Registered
11,681 Posts
more info!!! what is this about!!
when??

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It just ran! Okay, he played some of the channel 4 piece. He had a rape counselor talk about the 15 year old she works with who was attacked on the island. She said there isn't much of a police presence....and the graphic at the bottom of the screen said there were 13 officers for that jurisdiction. After that, a reporter from Chicago (I think) said parties happen on waterways everywhere and people need to be careful.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
That is total crap! Did the girl make a police report? How many parties over the weekend had a attacked of some sort? I would bet 100's. Consider there are parties out there every weekend if it was really a problem you would hear about it all the time. It could of been a 15 year old telling stories to her parents so she would not get in trouble for being out drinking on someones boat. (these are just my thoughts) Please.....ch 4 needs to quit with the one sided doom and gloom reporting just for ratings. There ratings are going to end up at the expense of boaters as a whole.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
rerun, I know what you mean. They keep showing the same footage of one guy smoking in public and run it over and over. Channel 4 talks about the open drug use and underage drinking. Of course they only have the clip of the girl from Troy, and a shot of two kids on the island. Hello, it's not a place for kids, but there are bad parents everywhere.

Was I at same party? I thought the average age was late 20's to mid 40's. I rafted off some nice guys who were in their 60's. Nobody gave me grief for not flashing...and I know I've been more unsafe at concerts or bars.

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
this is terrible....
lets say we go into there blomfield area, and point out all the maybe one time bad incedents and harp on it over and over and over.... (weather it was true or not !)

this is getting ridiculous......... where is sheriff hackel standing up for his county ?

My experience is that MOST PROBLEMS COME FROM NON-BOATERS ( PEOPLE THAT DO NOT LIVE BY LAKE ST CLAIR......... hence channel 4 employees.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
I've said it before and I'll say it again... BOYCOTT NEWS 4!!!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Guarantee there'll be alot more cops around gull island this year, especially for the big parties. Once they become too well known, these types of things either get shut down or go commercial. Oh well, maybe this is an omen to move on to different locales?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Ive been on this site for 3 yrs (showing 2yrs or what ever )Dont matter .What matters Is we KNOW the TRUTH about JOBBIE NOONER ...ITS fun And in our socity today you cant have that...WHY ?The media says NO ...F$$KTHEM WHO GAVE THEM THAT Authority To say that (nobody )..Yes Freedom of speach ..YES WE AS BOATERS AND FISHERMEN HAVE THE RIGHT TO FREEDOM SPEACH ALSO ....WHO WILL LET US TALK OUT LOUD....NO ONE .BULL$#IT...HEY Channel 4 go to (MY BELOVED RED WINGS )game see how many drunks are there?Alot ..Dont sterotype people because there boaters .ITs about money.....NO ONE IS GETTING IT....THEY DONT THINK GAS <<<WE PAY ROAD TAX >>>>>WHAT ABOUT ARE LIGHT HOUSE TAX (LOL)IM SO PISSED RIGHT NOW !!!I AGREE WITH EVERYONE ,What WE need to do is get the Idots bringing underage there..HOW ?I ve seen a guy with baby ,bull$#it ..I have kids I make plans....MONTHS AHEAD OF TIME....WE WILL STILL HAVE PARTY >>>>

·
12,052 Posts
QUOTE(Fast~Eddie @ May 27 2003, 01:10 PM)this is getting ridiculous......... where is sheriff hackel standing up for his county ?
Not his county......St. Clair County.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Hammer is right this Island is in the County of St. Clair and in Clay twp jurisdiction. As far as rape (s) on the island I only know of 1 in 4 years and it wasn't at J/N. He went to jail. I have said it befoe and I will say it again you get that many people in one CONFINED area then issues will come up. I don't care where or what state / country you live in. Heck look at the Scocer game in Europe. I do wish J/N was what it started out being, and not what it has become. Many people now think it's a druken salior day. To me that is fine just don't leave unless your sober. Again this is my opinion and not the departments.

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
QUOTE(Gary864 @ Jun 19 2003, 12:43 PM)Hammer is right this Island is in the County of St. Clair and in Clay twp jurisdiction. As far as rape (s) on the island I only know of 1 in 4 years and it wasn't at J/N. He went to jail. I have said it befoe and I will say it again you get that many people in one CONFINED area then issues will come up. I don't care where or what state / country you live in. Heck look at the Scocer game in Europe. I do wish J/N was what it started out being, and not what it has become. Many people now think it's a druken salior day. To me that is fine just don't leave unless your sober. Again this is my opinion and not the departments.

Gary864
I too wish i was, what it used to be.....
been going since 1989 i think....
i actually am a jobbie..... go figure

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
I dont recall a rape happening on Gull last year. I do know of a rape that occured at Metro, tied up on the Seawall, near the end of the season as I had to work it and investigate it with the park rangers. Should we close down Metro then?

This is nothing more than hype for the media as they can play it over and over again to fill in the low spots. NOthing going on or wrong is not news so that wont be covered. Yes, we know the truth of Gull Island and what goies on there and who the problem children are, but it doesnt matter what we know to be true. It is what the public know to be true through the media, and as we all know, that isnt always the truth.

Those fro the marine Patrol, Sheriff's Division and USCG that I spoke to at the Covo Boat Show all had good things to say about the jobbiennooners last year, especially about the group that opened and maintained a rescue lane, the clean up of the island during and after the parties as well as the responsible adults that tried to help keep things under control. They also commented about how the 2002 season was less of a problem than previous years and that perhaps things are "tamming down" I was proud to tell them about LSCN and everyone involved. We should compare like parties places and see which has the higher crime rate, jobbienooners on Gull for a few days a year, or say, Put-In-Bay every summer weeeknd. Betcha Gull island would look lame in comparision.

Just my thoughts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts