Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1995 Johnson outboard that is giving me fits. Went to launch the other day and she wouldn't start. Had her running on the muffs the night before. Put new plugs in her and she wouldn't start. Put a new battery and it will start but not consitently. Had her running last night on the muffs again and went to try and start her tonight and she wouldn't start. Anybody have any suggestions or know of a good repair shop in the downriver area?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Lockemans Hardware and Boats, www.lockemans.com, 313 842 0268. Ask for Dave, talk with him, he should be able to get you in and out with in a day or two. He is down by Zug Island (75 and Livernios). Best Evinrude and Johnson wrench in the area, great prices and quick turn arounds.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I had a somewhat similar problem with a Johnson in the past. I had a short in the ignition wires that would turn the motor, but not get any juice to the sparkplugs.

It was intermittent for a short time, but then wouldn't start at all. A wire had rubbed bare over the bar for the steering cables under the dash.

The marina I ended up at had a simple test device they hooked the sparkplug wires to and then turned the key. No spark showed from any lead.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
How many horse power? Do you have the 6 gallon tank or is gas tank built in. Lets start there. If you have the bulb fuel line and if it's old that might be something to replace. We need more data, give all the data you can.

h2o<--wants data lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
h20,
The gas tank is built in. The bulb gets hard so I didn't think that was a problem. Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
stratos have you replaced the fuel filter?

h2o

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
h2o,
No I haven't replaced the fuel filter. Not being mechanically inclined where would I look for it?

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
I'd almost bet that might be your problem it's cramed full of junk. What horsepower is you motor.

h2o

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Still checkin for you

h2o

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
You should have or get a manuel for it that will show you where the fuel filter would be.

h2o<--says or better get it checked out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts