Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a ticket on the water today.

1.) No type IV throwable device on board.
2.) The toddler ( 11 month ) didnt have her PFD on
( usually she has, but she just came out of the cabin from her afternoon nap and with the PFD on she cant sleep, but the discussion with the officer didnt work out )

Does anyone know how much this is going to be ?
I just says call court within 14 days....

Thanks, Tom

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
QUOTE(tom03 @ Jun 27 2004, 03:15 PM)Just got a ticket on the water today.

1.) No type IV throwable device on board.
2.) The toddler ( 11 month ) didnt have her PFD on
( usually she has, but she just came out of the cabin from her afternoon nap and with the PFD on she cant sleep, but the discussion with the officer didnt work out )

Does anyone know how much this is going to be ?
I just says call court within 14 days....

Thanks, Tom
no. 1 $ 100
no. 2 $ 125

cheers, Tom

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
First off....sorry you got a ticket...from your post, you sound like a responsible boater.

2. No matter what....my girls have always wore their life jackets. They learn to sleep in them. To this day my 14 yr. old hits the v-berth and is out like a light. She's old enough to be w/o the jacket, but it's sleeping next to her. My 6 yr. old hits the v-berth and bounces along, enjoying the ride w/her jacket on. No if, ands or butts about it. Make it a not-a-option on your boat.

3. Happy and safe boating.

4. oooopss...this is a p.s....get a type IV.....they even have ones w/a line

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(Convincor @ Jun 29 2004, 08:04 PM)Was it written as a Misdemeanor?
Yes it was

Makes this a difference ?

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
You must have got a boat inspection from the Local type law inforcement like the Macomb County Patrol boats. The USCG only inspects for Federal Regulations witch states that you have a pfd onboard and redely accessable. The state law says age 6 and under must wear a pfd, on vessel. I just found the state regs at WWW.MICHIGAN.GOV then MRBIS related links then The Handbook. Wear were you when they pulled you over?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(Letz party @ Jul 3 2004, 08:15 AM)You must have got a boat inspection from the Local type law inforcement like the Macomb County Patrol boats. The USCG only inspects for Federal Regulations witch states that you have a pfd onboard and redely accessable. The state law says age 6 and under must wear a pfd, on vessel. I just found the state regs at WWW.MICHIGAN.GOV then MRBIS related links then The Handbook. Wear were you when they pulled you over?
We have been between sugar island and grose isle.
It was the Wayne County Sheriff who wrote the ticket.

The USCG had a mandatory pfd regulation for kids up to 13 yrs, but this has been withdrawn.

http://www.outdoornetwork.com/ton_outdoorh...5728103183.html

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
tom 03

Yea, your boating in an area that is along the most watched area of our boarder as you and I well know. I am an ex-coasty (USCG) and never enjoyed having to go out for Mandatory Boardings.

Most common, we sat at the sea wall of Metro Beach one of the hotest spots to cruise around LSC and performed boardings on every 40th boat or so (as long as it took to do a boarding) and kept hand signaling boats to pull over along the seawall for sometimes 4 to 6 hours straight. That was twenty years ago, one thing, if you had a courtesy exam sticker on your windshield we would let you go bye if you were going to be the next boat for a boarding. We always felt you volunteered some time already this year to get your boat inspected and if there was no obvous reason to board you we would let the boats go bye that had that years current decal. but that's not always the case if your acting the fool.

To bad they wrote you up and didnt just give you a warning for the wearable, since all the proper pfd's were onboard and just wrote up the missing throwable. They must of had the big guy out that day, no disrespect sheriff.

Now I get to run around W.O.T. (wide open throttle) in my own boat wearing just a bathing suite, tubing and skiing with the family, lifes great.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE(Letz party @ Jul 3 2004, 01:03 PM)tom 03

Yea, your boating in an area that is along the most watched area of our boarder as you and I well know. I am an ex-coasty (USCG) and never enjoyed having to go out for Mandatory Boardings.

Most common, we sat at the sea wall of Metro Beach one of the hotest spots to cruise around LSC and performed boardings on every 40th boat or so (as long as it took to do a boarding) and kept hand signaling boats to pull over along the seawall for sometimes 4 to 6 hours straight. That was twenty years ago, one thing, if you had a courtesy exam sticker on your windshield we would let you go bye if you were going to be the next boat for a boarding. We always felt you volunteered some time already this year to get your boat inspected and if there was no obvous reason to board you we would let the boats go bye that had that years current decal. but that's not always the case if your acting the fool.

To bad they wrote you up and didnt just give you a warning for the wearable, since all the proper pfd's were onboard and just wrote up the missing throwable. They must of had the big guy out that day, no disrespect sheriff.

Now I get to run around W.O.T. (wide open throttle) in my own boat wearing just a bathing suite, tubing and skiing with the family, lifes great.
yeh, this guy even told us the kid must wear her pfd at all times on board (even when shes in the cabin), thats not true, neither USCG nor Michigan LAw requires to have the pfd on even in the cabin.

I realized at the end of a month they are more strict on writing tickets ( same on the roads ).

·
Registered
954 Posts
Tom you are correct the PFD can be taken off below in the cabin. If I remember right Child PFD might be a cival offense but the throwable is a misameanor as are most of the offense on the water. I am surprised that you didn't get a warning on at least 1 of the 2 offenses but each officer handles it differant. Myself I write the one offense then warn on the other(s) but if you fight my ticket I can charge for both. Kind of a bartering tool for both parties but then again thats me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The bottom line is that its nothing but a goverment money
grab.If you were out there blatently being an a**hole thats one thing.The police are out of control in this country.

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
I don't think that too cool to say. Obviously, they saw something that alerted them and that is why they did the whole routine check thing. I don't know if you've noticed, but the police aren't exactly millionares and our government isn't exactly rolling in dough either.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
Really~they aren't all bad....just doing their jobs! let's ask Gary or I'll ask some of my cop friends.....Only thing I see out of control is terrorists....and that I won't tolerate.

Even makowish is understanding
and wants to know what he can do to be a better and safer boater. That's my wish. too.

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
QUOTE(threecrabs @ Jul 17 2004, 12:03 AM)
Really~they aren't all bad....just doing their jobs! let's ask Gary or I'll ask some of my cop friends.....Only thing I see out of control is terrorists....and that I won't tolerate.

Even makowish is understanding
and wants to know what he can do to be a better and safer boater. That's my wish. too.
Thanks Three
I appreciate the backup

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
No code was offering to do safety checks on peeps boats a while back for FREE! I had him do mine Iam glad I did I found out flares were expired... and would have cost me money possibly ,, if i was pulled over.. Plus I got educated for free on a few things I didn’t know.

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
I've had the checkup in the past. It's really good to have. Saves ya $$$

·
Registered
1 Posts
That's right, we're not all bad! I'm a Lake Patrol officer on Lake Norman in North Carolina (you know the lake that has the friendly competition with you guys for the raft up) and finally found this site. Just mainly wanted to hop on here and maybe talk with fellow law enforcement officers that patrol LSC and share ideas and such. Pretty cool to see that the majority of you support your cops up there, that goes a long way to maintaining good relations with the public. I frequent a similar website here (www.lknfun.com) and answer people's questions and get to know boaters before I've stopped them. Anyway, just wanted to say hi and if there are any fellow "po po" on this site or if anyone knows any of the lake officers, have them give me a yell. Here's a link to my agency's website if anyone is interested http://www.catawbacountync.gov/depts/shf/lake/

Look forward to talking with you on here or our site and be safe out there on the water.

Wayne

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Anytime anyone needs a safety check performed on their boat all you need to do is contact a local AuxCoastGuard Flotilla. They have members that will gladly perform a vessel exam for you for free.
I belong to AuxCG flotilla 10-6 based out of Detroits Harbor Hill marina and we have at least 10 members that perform these vessel exams and most of them will go to where you have your boat moored to do this check. I am my flotillas web master and you can go to my web site to get information on who to contact there.. There is also some useful information there for boaters of all types including those that have been boating for years and think they know everything about boating. Our Flotillas web address is http://www.uscgaux.org/~0911006/ . Go there and check it out.. Theres a link to the Aux Coast Guards National web site that has links to all of the local and National Flotillas, plus there's more information on what you should know if your going to be a boating on these great lakes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts